Your number is way out of line !!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

sparky 134

Person requests a price to hookup the new hottub. Install 30' of 1" EMT in basement, stub out, LB outside, stub up 3' of 1" IMC, install customer supplied spa disconnect panel, install 7' of 1' IMC from spa panel to hottub, change to sealtite.

The hottub requires a 2p30amp circuit and a 2p20amp circuit from the spa panel to the hottub. So we have 3#10's and 4#12's from the spa panel to the hottub.

Install a 20 GFCI receptacle under the spa disconnect panel. Install a 1p20amp breaker in the spa panel to feed the GFCI.

Install 2p70amp CB in the main electrical panel.

My price was $905.00.

The 'other' guy quotes $550.00. I email back, "Material costs alone were $200.00"

I received another email today, "I got another price of $480.00 plus material. Adding $200.00 for material is still only $680.00"

Now I start to think, "Why not just take the first price of $550.00 ? Why waste any time emailing me ?"

I'm willing to bet the other 'guys' are going to install a 50amp feed to the spa panel.

I emailed back, "Those are good prices. I know the quality of my work and I know what a full-time, licensed, bonded, insured electrical contractor should be charging for this project."

I figured two guys@85.00/hr for half a day, plus 20% markup on material, 5% overhead.

Are my numbers that far out of line ?

ultramegabob

Stick to your pricing, the customer is just fishing to see if you will drop a hundred dollars, tell them to hire the lowballer and leave you alone, with as flaky they are acting when you are giving them a price, its hard telling how flaky they will get when its time to pay the bill...

480sparky

Tell them "Well, thank you for allowing me to bid on this project. If there's anything I can do for you in the future, just let me know. You've got my number."

It could very well be they call you because 1. the lowballer never shows up, 2. the lowballer never completes the job or 3. the lowballer screws it up so much they'll need you to fix it.

THEN they will see your value.

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
sparky 134 said:
Are my numbers that far out of line?
In my opinion, only one: the cost of materials. You probably shouldn't have brought it up, but since you did, you might have said it was higher; at least include your markup any time materials costs are mentioned.

If you could genuinely have gotten in and out "in half a day" (shopping time? permit application?), meaning there would have been time to do another half-a-day job, maybe $500 to $600 + $300 for materials.

So, no, not out of line. Do you know whether your price is being compared to other licensed, etc., electricians (i.e., with business licenses and insurance) or with the proverbial trunk-slammer that pockets everything?

Plus, you've gotta see the final bill, not the low estimate. You also may be correct that the others are picturing running #6 NM all the way to the hottub, no disco, no separate heat and motor breakers.

Suggest the customer get the final price in writing before committing to one guy.

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
LarryFine said:
Suggest the customer get the final price in writing before committing to one guy.

also, be sure to incude the fact that your price included an inspection to assure the job was installed to Code standards and safe. Tell them to be sure the "low man" has one included also.

brantmacga

Señor Member
Occupation
Former Child
i do installations for a regional retailer of spas, and had a very similar situation last friday. i got out to get the job specs, give customer a price of $800. the customer gets extremely irate and says I'm trying to screw them. In his opinion, it "shouldn't cost more than a couple hundred bucks." the people selling these things know what it costs to do the electrical, but it'd probably be hard to sell one if you told the customer it'll cost another grand to hook it up. anyway, i apologized to the customer that material, fuel, and labor were so high. I told them if there was any way I could lower it, I'd be happy to. But unfortunately, with costs what they are, "my hands (are) tied." Moving on. . .

480sparky

brantmacga said:
i do installations for a regional retailer of spas, and had a very similar situation last friday. i got out to get the job specs, give customer a price of $800. the customer gets extremely irate and says I'm trying to screw them. In his opinion, it "shouldn't cost more than a couple hundred bucks." the people selling these things know what it costs to do the electrical, but it'd probably be hard to sell one if you told the customer it'll cost another grand to hook it up. anyway, i apologized to the customer that material, fuel, and labor were so high. I told them if there was any way I could lower it, I'd be happy to. But unfortunately, with costs what they are, "my hands (are) tied." Moving on. . .

Sunrooms are the same thing. The salespeople aren't too concerned about what the actual cost is going to end up being for the end customer. They just want the sale, and let you haggle with the buyer about the electrical costs. I prefer to avoid getting involved with jobs like this.

brantmacga

Señor Member
Occupation
Former Child
peter d said:
Looks like he'll be running his tub off an extension cord.

believe it or not, he actually asked me what I would charge to set him up a 240v 40A extension cord.

In NY, pools and Spas are also required to have alarms installed, another cost added to the spa, which the retailer neglects to mention to the buyer.

I inspected a hottub install yesterday. It was installed outside as per all the electrical and building code requirements. The owner told me the install cost more than the hottub. If he had known that at the time of sale he may not have purchased the unit.
$7,000.00 for the install price, including trenching, permits, fencing, concrete pad and plumbing for a drain.

Send those prices to your customer.

BTW: When I was in business, my customers (except a few good contractors) never saw my breakdown in regards to pricing of work.

Rich R

I think your material is actually higher, Did you add in your feeder wires ? that alone is going to be $100 before markup.

150' #4
50' #10

I think the price you gave is right in line or maybe a tiny bit low even, you can't make everybody happy, let them hire the other guy who will probably make a whopping $52/hour on the job before labor and overhead.

When the customer calls him next year because his breaker is tripping he will wonder why this guys phone has been disconnected

Minuteman

sparky 134 said:
Person requests a price to hookup the new hottub. Install 30' of 1" EMT in basement, stub out, LB outside, stub up 3' of 1" IMC, install customer supplied spa disconnect panel, install 7' of 1' IMC from spa panel to hottub, change to sealtite.

The hottub requires a 2p30amp circuit and a 2p20amp circuit from the spa panel to the hottub. So we have 3#10's and 4#12's from the spa panel to the hottub.

Install a 20 GFCI receptacle under the spa disconnect panel. Install a 1p20amp breaker in the spa panel to feed the GFCI.

Install 2p70amp CB in the main electrical panel.
I think your numbers are inline for the method you have chosen. The tub you describe sounds like a Hot Spring/Tiger River. They use the 2p30 & 2p20 as well as the #10's and #12's. Not sure if any other manufactures do as well.

Normally, we run 6/3 Romex as far as we can, and then change to PVC and/or Carflex liquidtight. I use a 2p50 for the feeder, and if needed a 1p20 can still be installed in the spa panel (as all loads are noncontinuous and the actual amp draw on the pump and heater are far less than the rated amps). I have been installing almost two dozen of these a year for the past 3 years without any complaint.

That being said, it sounds to me like the guy was emailing you back in an effort to price shop. He must have received a good referral about you, but wanted a "bargain" price. I hate that. My price is my price. Good for you for not changing yours!

emahler

Davids1964 said:
I think that's a bit on the High side. Two guys to run only 30' ft. of conduit half a day. Also let the home owner pull the permit.

30' through a basement - what else is in the basement?
to the exterior, to mount the disco - any bushes to work around?
pull the wiring, tie in the panel, tie in the disco and the feed to the hot tub...

besides, who said anything about about 2 guys? but assuming 2 guys, i'd bet minimum 1/2 a day for all of that when you add in travel and getting parts...

remember, you are not selling time or labor - you are selling experience and knowledge...if your guys could do it in 2 hrs, should you charge less and give away money? or should you charge for 1/2 a day and make money? maybe give the guys a raise for being so efficient...

i'd say what i'm thinking, but it'll just get bob in a tizzy...since it's a holiday, i'll let him relax:D

growler

sparky 134 said:
My price was $905.00.

I received another email today, "I got another price of $480.00 plus material. Adding $200.00 for material is still only $680.00"

That $480 plus materials can be very deceptive. First I think you shorted yourself on the materials calculation. By the time this guy breaks down his materials cost ( he is not going to sell any of this at what he paid for it) and charges an itemized rate for materials and permit then his price may well be higher than yours.

When you itemize materials you don't sell a 50 cent strap for a 20% mark up, the strap cost to the customer will have a 100% -200%+ mark up. so that strap may well cost the customer $2. the same for all fittings. It adds up quick.

Never tell a customer what materials cost you, tell them what they will cost him. I think you are giving him a good price but the customer can't see it.

bobbyho

Romex on the inside of the house is a good idea BUT if the hot tub has a light in it (680.23(f)) you have to run the insulated ground wire. That leaves you piping or running MC cable. THAT gets expensive in a hurry.

Minuteman

bobbyho said:
Romex on the inside of the house is a good idea BUT if the hot tub has a light in it (680.23(f)) you have to run the insulated ground wire. That leaves you piping or running MC cable. THAT gets expensive in a hurry.
680.23 (f) is about branch circuit wiring on the supply side. We are talking feeders.

220/221

This is one of the red flags you need to learn to recognize and file away for future reference.

I would not have answered his email. He already wasted your time to visit the site and write up the quote. Cut your losses and move on.

Your price was NOT out of line.

When he calls back, i'd tell him that copper has gone up and the adjusted price is $1089.

"I got another price of $480.00 plus material. Adding $200.00 for material is still only $680.00"

$200 marked up 100% is $400, plus $480 is gettin close to your number. Don't even reply to this nimrod.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.