New meter enclosure

Status
Not open for further replies.

e57

Why not an RMC mast, to a M/M w Dist then J-bx or sub the other stuff in fewer places? Have POCO relocate the POA. For that matter relocate the service so as not need to have to go over the roof. Looks like you were standing on the roof to attach this.

growler

I'm suprised no one thought the SE drop over the roof was an issue

Depending on the distance and digging conditions this one might be a good one to go underground. If it's not to far I can get the power company to bore it and pull it underground pretty reasonable.

On the other hand if everyone is happy with it then it is an old house so they probably don't care. I would want to talk with both the inspector and the POCO engineer before starting this one.

It's hard to tell what you would do from such a limited view of the site.

goldstar

Occupation
Electrical Contractor
I'm suprised no one thought the SE drop over the roof was an issue
It may end up being an issue. That's why I decided to install another porc. insulator on the rake about 3' above the service head (not shown - did this after the fact)

goldstar

Occupation
Electrical Contractor
Depending on the distance and digging conditions this one might be a good one to go underground. If it's not to far I can get the power company to bore it and pull it underground pretty reasonable.
Utility pole is on the opposite side of the street
On the other hand if everyone is happy with it then it is an old house so they probably don't care. I would want to talk with both the inspector and the POCO engineer before starting this one.
POCO issued the HO a letter insisting that she get the service upgraded. If they wanted the service relocated they would have said something. If they make an issue of this after the fact there will be a battle.
It's hard to tell what you would do from such a limited view of the site.
Sorry, I didn't think of taking photos from the street toward the house

goldstar

Occupation
Electrical Contractor
Why not an RMC mast, to a M/M w Dist then J-bx or sub the other stuff in fewer places? Have POCO relocate the POA.
This is an unusual lake community house. People did a lot of their own construction work back in the 30's. In order for me to install a galv. mast for this project I would have had to drill through the rain gutter.
For that matter relocate the service so as not need to have to go over the roof. Looks like you were standing on the roof to attach this.
Yes, I was standing on the flat roof to make the attachment. I did install a porc. insulator about 3' up past the service head on the rake to elevate the new triplex cable over the house.

goldstar

Occupation
Electrical Contractor
What did you do with the inside stuff? Looks like an easy panel replacement.
The inside was another lake community HO special. The original 60A FUSE PANEL was located on the wall inside a bedroom. The woman's husband (long before he died) decided to relocate the clothes closet and installed it around the fuse panel. Then he decided to cut a hole in the floor of the original closet and make that an access to the basement and close off the outdoor access. I'm not the thinnest guy but I had to slide in sideways to gain access to the basement. From the main fuse panel there was a tap off the main lugs to a second fuse panel in the basement where several branch circuits (including the 30 amp electric dryer) were fed. From that fuse panel there was another tap to a Federal breaker panel where the 30 amp water heater and the 50 amp electric range were fed. I could have installed an old Federal panel as the main and it would have been better than what she had.:D

goldstar

Occupation
Electrical Contractor
nice looking job, bushings not required on the pvc? [would be here that's why I ask] Good fix with the vinyl blocks.
The flex PVC was only an extra precautiuon to protect the SE cable around the gutter. Actually it was a piece of w/p sealtight and I removed the internal spiral metal sheething.

e57

This is an unusual lake community house. People did a lot of their own construction work back in the 30's. In order for me to install a galv. mast for this project I would have had to drill through the rain gutter.Yes, I was standing on the flat roof to make the attachment. I did install a porc. insulator about 3' up past the service head on the rake to elevate the new triplex cable over the house.
Not - exactly - looking to arm chair quarter back - but often the existing locattion of a service is not necessarily the best one... Where you were standing to take the pic's on the roof - to your left - seemed to be an enclosed porch - no gutter - gutter behind you... Not sure what it looks like - But I may have gone down there - or for that matter maybe the other side of the building...

That is depending on electrode placements, proximity to the pole - the many other factors...

But one of the reasons the POCO may have been at odds with the previous service - is the roof issue....

iwire

Staff member
Is the inspector satisfied?

Is the customer satisfied?

Did you make money?

Is it much better than what was there before?

If the answer to the above is yes I say you did a fine job.:)

goldstar

Occupation
Electrical Contractor
Not - exactly - looking to arm chair quarter back - but often the existing locattion of a service is not necessarily the best one... Where you were standing to take the pic's on the roof - to your left - seemed to be an enclosed porch - no gutter - gutter behind you... Not sure what it looks like - But I may have gone down there - or for that matter maybe the other side of the building...
I guess you'd have to be there to understand why I did what I did
But one of the reasons the POCO may have been at odds with the previous service - is the roof issue....
We'll find out this week and I'll let you know.;)

goldstar

Occupation
Electrical Contractor
Is the inspector satisfied?
We'll find out this week.
Is the customer satisfied?
Absolutely. Now, at least she can use her electric dryer without the fuses blowing.
Did you make money?
Contrary to popular belief that's what I start out each day trying to do. It doesn't always work out that way but in this case it did.
Is it much better than what was there before?
100%
If the answer to the above is yes I say you did a fine job.:)
Thanks for the vote of confidsence.:cool:

goldstar

Occupation
Electrical Contractor
Well, those of you who said the service head would have to be relocated were correct. The inspector called me and said that for the most part I did a great job but the weather-head would have to be relocated to another spot on the house. Apparently the POCO's service height requirement over a flat roof is 8'. He originally suggested that I put up a mast, but there was no location on the house where I could do that effectively. I met with the POCO yesterday and they will allow me to re-install a new piece of SE cable to the front peak of the addition with the flat roof and leave the meter enclosure where it is. 60' of SE cable - Good thing I had a few extra $$ in the job.;)

Article 90.1

Goldstar, one of the great things about JCP&L, or are they GPU again, is that they publish a book called, "Service Installation Guidelines." If you go to one of their offices they used to give the books out. The great thing about the guide is it is about 1" thick, covers nearly every circumstance, and everyone is on the same playing field. When I moved down here to Dixy and started changing services I called the 300 POCO's in this area (exaggerating a bit) and got cut sheets from them.

Also, in regards to the split bolts, it used to be that the EC cut the services in and out in JCP&L territory. When the POCO would receive the inspection results they were supposed to come back and remake the connection, but many of the the connections were never remade, and that is why you will still find a lot of NM connectors holding OH services together in those parts.

I'm familiar with the community that this house is in and I bet every house on the street is about the same...

growler

Good thing I had a few extra $$ in the job.;)

I think that's normally refered to as profit and little things like this is why we do't end up with nearly as much profit as people would expect.

It is a good thing there is money to cover it otherwise you would have to eat it.

I only bring this up to show why it's not a good idea for all those guys that like to bid service changes real cheap. Ever so often one will come along that has a few unforeseen cost and will eat your lunch.

goldstar

Occupation
Electrical Contractor
Goldstar, one of the great things about JCP&L, or are they GPU again, is that they publish a book called, "Service Installation Guidelines." If you go to one of their offices they used to give the books out. The great thing about the guide is it is about 1" thick, covers nearly every circumstance, and everyone is on the same playing field. When I moved down here to Dixy and started changing services I called the 300 POCO's in this area (exaggerating a bit) and got cut sheets from them.

Also, in regards to the split bolts, it used to be that the EC cut the services in and out in JCP&L territory. When the POCO would receive the inspection results they were supposed to come back and remake the connection, but many of the the connections were never remade, and that is why you will still find a lot of NM connectors holding OH services together in those parts.

I'm familiar with the community that this house is in and I bet every house on the street is about the same...
I have a copy of the booklet but failed to refer to it before I did the job. Should have known better. Some guys still use the RX squeeze connectors to bug the SE cable to the triplex but it depends on the POCO. THereare a lot of houses up here like this one but it's tough gertting people to pull the trigger on the upgrade.;)

satcom

I have a copy of the booklet but failed to refer to it before I did the job. Should have known better. Some guys still use the RX squeeze connectors to bug the SE cable to the triplex but it depends on the POCO. THereare a lot of houses up here like this one but it's tough gertting people to pull the trigger on the upgrade.;)

I would not refer to anyone that use RX connectors to bug services as electricians, anyone with even the most basic electrical know how, should understand it's a dangerous practice.

Status
Not open for further replies.