Motors from Manufacturer

Status
Not open for further replies.

CPS Elec.

Absolutely. Weg used to be famous for that.

But what makes you think the nameplate is incorrect?

It a single phase / single rotation motor with a black and a brown wire. Nameplate says .167 hp 2.1fla and 115vac, when bench tested you can hear the thermal overload triping. It runs for about ten seconds, then off for ten seconds, then back on and so on...........checked amps with two different fluke meters and both indicated 9.5 to 10 amps.

Jraef

Moderator, OTD
Staff member
Occupation
Electrical Engineer
It a single phase / single rotation motor with a black and a brown wire. Nameplate says .167 hp 2.1fla and 115vac, when bench tested you can hear the thermal overload triping. It runs for about ten seconds, then off for ten seconds, then back on and so on...........checked amps with two different fluke meters and both indicated 9.5 to 10 amps.
Well, right off the bat, 9-10A being pulled by a motor rated for 2.1A would definitely explain the thermal cutout opening!

Your motor is shorted, not mislabeled.

templdl

1ph Small motors most often have start and a run windings. When at rest the start winding is connected by the use of a centrifugal. When you the motor is initially energized the switch will open as the motor accelerates up to speed. When in the starting mode the motor draws a great deal of current than in the running mode.
My conclusion would be that your start windings have not disengaged which causes the motor to overheat tripping the thermal overload.

ActionDave

Chief Moderator
Staff member
Durango, CO, 10 h 20 min from the winged horses.
Occupation
Licensed Electrician
More information is needed. What is this motor being used for?

kwired

Electron manager
All single phase motors need something to give them a kick in the right direction. The motor the OP describes is too small to have a starting switch.
OP says .167 HP, is that not 1/6? I have seen many 1/6 hp motors with a starting switch. That small of a motor is often not a capacitor start motor, but simply a start winding with a different inductive reactance than the main winding still resulting in the necessary phase shift to create some rotation.

templdl

All single phase motors need something to give them a kick in the right direction. The motor the OP describes is too small to have a starting switch.

My reply was based upon the assumption that the OP had that the motor had been mislabeled by the manufacture.
Also, motors that are often used to drive a squirrel cage motor where the motor itself is mounted within the squirrel cage itself relays of the air being pulled around the motor for cooling.
A number of years ago I replaced blower motor an was amazed at the NP rating of the motor specifically the amp rating and then understood why it needed to be placed in the center of the blower otherwise it would have had no way to cool itself.

ActionDave

Chief Moderator
Staff member
Occupation
Licensed Electrician
My reply was based upon the assumption that the OP had that the motor had been mislabeled by the manufacture.
Gotcha.

Also, motors that are often used to drive a squirrel cage motor where the motor itself is mounted within the squirrel cage itself relays of the air being pulled around the motor for cooling.
A number of years ago I replaced blower motor an was amazed at the NP rating of the motor specifically the amp rating and then understood why it needed to be placed in the center of the blower otherwise it would have had no way to cool itself.
Very true.

ActionDave

Chief Moderator
Staff member
Occupation
Licensed Electrician
Yes those types would be more popular on this size of a motor, but I have seen a few 1/6 HP "split phase" motors before. I can't recall any smaller than that though.
I don't remember seeing a 1/6 HP split phase motor, I don't doubt they are out there. It is entirely possible I have seen one and paid no attention to what kind it was.

One scenario I have encountered that is similar to what the OP describes are motors with a bad running winding. The motor will start, coast a bit, switch closes and the cycle continues.

hurk27

I don't remember seeing a 1/6 HP split phase motor, I don't doubt they are out there. It is entirely possible I have seen one and paid no attention to what kind it was.

One scenario I have encountered that is similar to what the OP describes are motors with a bad running winding. The motor will start, coast a bit, switch closes and the cycle continues.

Are not most ceiling fans split phase motors, most I have installed have one or two caps and a current relay in the light housing?

ActionDave

Chief Moderator
Staff member
Occupation
Licensed Electrician
Are not most ceiling fans split phase motors, most I have installed have one or two caps and a current relay in the light housing?
I thought most of them are PSC.

I have an old, old, Hunter Original on the bench right now that is shaded pole. Instead of a reversing switch there is a lever that changes the pitch of the blades. Trying to track down a speed contol switch if you know any sources.

kwired

Electron manager

I guess that depends on your definition of split phase. They definitely do not have a starting switch that opens when a certain speed is reached. If they did you would not be able to vary the speed or reverse without stopping first. They are typically PSC motors.

Status
Not open for further replies.