600 amp res

Status
Not open for further replies.

mdshunk

no doubt the (3) 200 amp panels would be the economic plan, but with a 551 amp load, getting the diversity correct betwween the 3 panels is going to be a real trick. You might save yiurself a headache to add a 4th panel up front.
It's a house. Put a little heat and a little a/c in each one, and you're probably going to be good to go. I'd probably go for more than 3 panels though, too, but in another way. Each of those 200 amp panels would likely have a distributed subpanel someplace in the house hung off it for lighting and receptacles.

A house with a 600 amp service might have a pretty decent set of plans already with panel schedules and so on.

peter d

10 k sq ft home plans are calling for panels on both floors never done this size before hence the confusion

In that case you can stay with the gutter arrangement but forgo the a few of the main breaker panels and replace them with 200 amp disconnects, fusible or otherwise, and run SER cable or conduit to your downstream panels.

peter d

no doubt the (3) 200 amp panels would be the economic plan, but with a 551 amp load, getting the diversity correct betwween the 3 panels is going to be a real trick.

I would not be overly concerned about that as the NEC calculated load and the actual load are going to be a world apart.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
In that case you can stay with the gutter arrangement but forgo the a few of the main breaker panels and replace them with 200 amp disconnects, fusible or otherwise, and run SER cable or conduit to your downstream panels.

If Norm is under the 08 ser cable won't work for 200 amps unless it is copper ser cable.

Buck Parrish

Ask the poco engineer to come out and take a look.
Since they will have to connect to what ever you install.:wink:

Maybe they have three phase near by. That would be an other option.

peter d

Ask the poco engineer to come out and take a look.
Since they will have to connect to what ever you install.:wink:

They will ask for a load calculation and an equipment list here. They will then throw the NEC load calc in the round file and use their formula to size the service lateral and transformer.

normbac

I would not be overly concerned about that as the NEC calculated load and the actual load are going to be a world apart.
240 amps are A/C units seven total all on the roof house is designed similar to a commercial store front lots of glass flat roof

mdshunk

I think the PoCo head's up is going to be a requirement anyhow. I work under the crossroads of many PoCo's, and every single one of them wants to know about services bigger than 400 amps before you proceed. This is to your benefit anyhow, since it really speeds up the process when you're ready to get heated up. They might have to do a little pre-buildout, set a pole, order a transformer, etc.

peter d

I think the PoCo head's up is going to be a requirement anyhow. I work under the crossroads of many PoCo's, and every single one of them wants to know about services bigger than 400 amps before you proceed.
'

Yes, at least here they require a heads up for a single circuit service for a sign and up, as even the single circuit service may require a pole and transformer if it's in a remote location. Either way the service request form will have all the pertinent information they need on it.

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
I believe 4/0 is all you can get. 310.15 B(6) does not apply

Dennis, I was suprised when I check Southwire's webpage and they DON"T list a AL SER above 4/0, however ALCAN does list a 300 lkcmil(190 @ 60?).
Interestingly, ALCAN has a CMP rep on CMP 7 (Art 338) and CMP 6 (Art 310), but it doesn't appear Southwire does.:D
But 300 kcmil SER seems to be available.

mdshunk

Dennis, I was suprised when I check Southwire's webpage and they DON"T list a AL SER above 4/0, however ALCAN does list a 300 lkcmil(190 @ 60?).
Interestingly, ALCAN has a CMP rep on CMP 7 (Art 338) and CMP 6 (Art 310), but it doesn't appear Southwire does.:D
Just going off memory, I think the lugs on a 200 amp main in a QO panel are 250MCM max.

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
Marc, When we had the SE amapcity post earlier, I checked a number of 200 amp breakers. All the ones I checked had a lug capacity of 300 or 350 kcmil. I may not hage checked every manufacturer, but most had adequate lugs.

kbsparky

I'd spec and install an I-Line panel for the mains, and then sub-feed to the various load centers throughout the place.

PVC conduit for those sub-feeds, and then you can use some 3/0 copper or 250 Aluminum conductors for 200 Amp rated load centers/sub panels.

Or, if you wanted to use 2/0 copper lines, simply use 175 Amp breakers and you're all set ... (depending on the connected loads to each panel, of course) ... :D

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
I'd ...............install an I-Line panel for the mains, :D

:D is right. as admirable as that is, in this neck of the woods, an EC that quoted t I-Line on residential better enjoy television because he's going to get an opportunity to watch it a lot.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor

Well I was pretty sure southwire didn't make it since my supplier buys from them and had said so but it is good to know that someone does make 300 kcm ser cable.

Alcans table is interesting. They list a 2 conductor SER with bare ground wire and a 2 conductor SEU with bare ground wire. I wonder what the difference is? I suppose the seu has the ground wrapped around the conductors while ser has just a standard ground wire-- anyone know for sure?

Status
Not open for further replies.