600 amp res

Status
Not open for further replies.

zappy

whats a CT,MLO,MB panel.I 'm trying to figure out what you guys are talking about.Thank you gentlemen.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
whats a CT,MLO,MB panel.I 'm trying to figure out what you guys are talking about.Thank you gentlemen.
A ct is a current transformer cabinet for the CT's that the poco installs on large services.

MLO -- Main lug only panel
MB-- Main Breaker Panel

iwire

Staff member
CT = Current transformers, often used by the power companies for metering service larger then 400 or 600 amps.

MB = Main Breaker Panel

MLO = Main Lug Only panel

brantmacga

Señor Member
Occupation
Former Child
here's a pic of a 400A CT service I've got to rebuild (adding panel, transfer switch, etc. . )

the gutter was put on top of the cabinet because a 4/0 SEU comes out of the wall going to a 200A panel; those u/g conduits feed a 100A panel and disconnect in the second picture.

003.jpg

here's the stuff being fed from the gutter

001.jpg

here's what it looks like now. panels are relocated to the outside to get them out of this crawlspace.

002.jpg

anyhow, maybe pic 1 will give you an idea. i'd stick the gutter under the CT cab extending out the side of it and nipple up to 200A discos.

eds

I have priced and installed the I-line panel and thought they were comparible in price to the cutler hammer exterior disconnect I use on 200 to 400 amp services. I usually have a choice of putting a CT cabinet on the house or taking the feeds directly to the x-former. In the latter customer pays for and maintains the service conductors to the point of disconnect. We are allowed 6' of condutors before 1st disconnect. I have always installed a M.B. but if you keep under six breakers I think you could use a 600 amp M.L. I line. I don't know why other than cost but the I-Line comes with 3 busbars but a single phase M.B.

cadpoint

How about CT cabinet ----->gutter----->3 -200 amp main breaker panels grouped in one location?

Why not:
CT cabinet (& meter panel)----->gutter----->2-200 MB & 1-250MB w/200 MB for their isolated (MLO) panel?

The 250 will be lightly loaded. ??

If its a POCO lateral, don't they will usually exceed any service size that will exist anyways?

fisherelectric

"If we are talking about ser cable here and we are using the 08 code then 4/0 is only good for 150 amps "
Ok, got it. They have really made it expensive to put in a 200a disco and remote panel now.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
"If we are talking about ser cable here and we are using the 08 code then 4/0 is only good for 150 amps "
Ok, got it. They have really made it expensive to put in a 200a disco and remote panel now.

Fisher-- if you hit the quote button on the bottom right of the post that you want to quote then it will be blocked like your quote is in my post.

Status
Not open for further replies.