A change.. 680.26 Graphic

Status
Not open for further replies.

M. D.

I was just curious ,.. why the window frame and door frame in the 2008 graphic are not bonded??? Just artistic license? Or were they left out do to a change ???

1014160805_2.gif

345775%3B523232%7Ffp336%3Enu%3D3254%3E997%3E575%3EWSNRCG%3D323338848:983nu0mrj

711ecmCSfig19.jpg

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
I have always thought that bonding of doors and windows was a bit much. I have not seen anything in 2008 that supports the need to dond doors and windows.

radiopet

Quite possible that in the 2008 version Mike C is taking into account the window frame and door frame appears to be wood or non-conductive based on the colors and so on......

As for the layout I like it better in 2008 as it depicts the more logical approach to connecting all the items...which since the 3' width was incorporated it looks better how it is done in the 2008 version...less busy and easier for students to understand....he just added the rebar in the side walls to show how it turns to meet the 3' around the pool requirement....

Yeah...probably an artistic choice....Mike C does great graphics and is always working to make them easier to view.

Edit: Had to fix my own spelling before Dennis did PAYBACK....lol

Last edited:

radiopet

Dennis Alwon said:
I have always thought that bonding of doors and windows was a bit much. I have not seen anything in 2008 that supports the need to dond doors and windows.

Hey Dennis......Is "donding" a new requirement in 2008...thehehehe

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
radiopet said:
Hey Dennis......Is "donding" a new requirement in 2008...thehehehe
What's donding? :D You have 10 minutes to fix it

No, it's not new but there have been many changes. What wording supports bonding doors and windows? >

M. D.

Paul ,the frames appear the exact same in the 04 image,.. I know some have always thought that the door and widow frame did not require bonding ,..I wonder if Mike Holt is now of the same opinion,.. I see no reason for the change otherwise.

radiopet

Dennis Alwon said:
What's donding? :D You have 10 minutes to fix it

No, it's not new but there have been many changes. What wording supports bonding doors and windows? >
lol....you said "dond windows" so I figured you knew something I didn't about Donding...lol.....

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
I missed that and I tried to edit but it said I must contact the administrator to change it. Dang I wanted to change it and say you were nuts. :D

radiopet

Personally I believe the NEC as it was written in 2005 NEC does not support the need to bond the windows and doors.....

(B) Bonded Parts. The parts specified in 680.26(B)(1)
through (B)(5) shall be bonded together.

(1) Metallic Structural Components. All metallic parts
of the pool structure, including the reinforcing metal of the pool shell, coping stones, and deck, shall be bonded.

Now what if we are dealing with a pool house..is that considered part of the pool structure and if so.....this might be were mike made his reference...

All hindges on if you believe the structure beside the pool is part of the pool structure or not........

frizbeedog

M. D. said:
I was just curious ,.. why the window frame and door frame in the 2008 graphic are not bonded??? Just artistic license? Or were they left out do to a change ???

711ecmCSfig19.jpg

M. D., They must have remodeled that house in the drawing and installed vinyl doors and windows. :smile:

radiopet

Dennis Alwon said:
I missed that and I tried to edit but it said I must contact the administrator to change it. Dang I wanted to change it and say you were nuts. :D
lol...I've been called worse.....Much Worse...in fact just last week I was called.....well.......nevermind because he had an excuse, I failed his inspection.

frizbeedog

M. D. said:
Paul ,the frames appear the exact same in the 04 image,.. I know some have always thought that the door and widow frame did not require bonding ,..I wonder if Mike Holt is now of the same opinion,.. I see no reason for the change otherwise.

Does 680.26 (B) (7) cover the bonding of those doors and windows?

Seems like it to me. What do you think?

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
frizbeedog said:
M. D., They must have remodeled that house in the drawing and installed vinyl doors and windows. :smile:

So? :grin: If I have to bond "pool water", I should also bond "vinyl doors", don't you think ????

wait for 2011, I guess:)

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
frizbeedog said:
Does 680.26 (B) (7) cover the bonding of those doors and windows?

Seems like it to me. What do you think?

680.26(B)(7) is Metal Wiring methods and Equipment. I don't think doors and windows are a part of that.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
ryan_618 said:
The reason it was removed is because Mike wanted it removed. I was part of the discussion.

Could it be that one of Mike's interpretation was incorrect the first time and he corrected it.

stickboy1375

Dennis Alwon said:

Just out of curiosity, don't you guys install spell checkers? Every time I misspell a word it automatically underlines the word with a red line, then I just right-click it and gives me a lists of what it thinks I'm trying to spell.

Status
Not open for further replies.