Ask This Old House

Status
Not open for further replies.

peter

Has anyone seen the show "Ask This New House?"

That's my favorite show. I especially like the "What is this?" segment.
I've now got some good ideas on how to build a hockey rink in my 100^2 foot yard during the winter here in San Diego from it for instance.
They need an electrician to join that elite group. Is anybody near and willing?
~Peter

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
peter said:
They need an electrician to join that elite group. Is anybody near and willing?
I've met Tom Silva. I mentioned that would love to join them. He said "You and about 10,000 other guys."

iwire

Staff member
LarryFine said:
I've met Tom Silva.

I worked with Rich Trethewey about 20 years ago, he was on TOH at the time he was exactly like he is on the show. Loves new stuff.

We where doing a 30 unit condo building and Rich picked ten very small foreign made gas fired boilers, some other foreign made control panel and another brand mixing valve. I had to listen to how he wanted it to work and come up with a way to do it. Several days and a bunch of ice cube relays later I got it going. :smile:

VoltageHz

acrwc10 said:
I'll keep a handful of "smart boxes on the truck because they come in handy so often, even on new installations before sheet rock.
I just googled them, they look pretty nice for old work uses.

What special feature do you get out of them in new installations vs. typical nail on boxes?

MF Dagger

VoltageHz said:
What special feature do you get out of them in new installations vs. typical nail on boxes?

Throwing them in between two studs where you can't get a lineman's or a hammer at the nails. I hate the boxes that secure to the front of the studs so I use a smart box or two on new houses usually.

VoltageHz

MF Dagger said:
Throwing them in between two studs where you can't get a lineman's or a hammer at the nails. I hate the boxes that secure to the front of the studs so I use a smart box or two on new houses usually.
That's a good idea!

One thing I definitely don't understand. The website says you'll save 1/3 the cost vs. using an typical old work box, yet these smart boxes cost $2 each! You could buy a typical old work box for $1.29 at any Home Depot or Lowes, so what are they talking about?!?!?

220/221

The Smarter Box.

DSC01938.jpg

25 cents and no special stock.

I know that somebody will make the point that the listing is void when I pull out the nails and cut off the tabs.:roll:

PS. I saw another brand of Smart box in the EC mag yesterday. It is adjustable but the screqws are NOT 1/4 from the back of the box so I guess that, even though it's UL listed, it's still illegal.

al

No Special Stock

No Special Stock

220/221 said:
The Smarter Box.

DSC01938.jpg

25 cents and no special stock.

I know that somebody will make the point that the listing is void when I pull out the nails and cut off the tabs.:roll:

PS. I saw another brand of Smart box in the EC mag yesterday. It is adjustable but the screqws are NOT 1/4 from the back of the box so I guess that, even though it's UL listed, it's still illegal.

Since there are no cable clamps in the box, the nm cable must be stapled within 8" of the box, with no execeptions for fishing, which leads me to believe you cannot use this box.

VoltageHz

al said:
Since there are no cable clamps in the box, the nm cable must be stapled within 8" of the box, with no execeptions for fishing, which leads me to believe you cannot use this box.
So you are saying that all those old work plastic boxes are not allowed to be used for old work purposes (unless you break open the wall within 8" of the cutout and support the wire)?

al

VoltageHz said:
So you are saying that all those old work plastic boxes are not allowed to be used for old work purposes (unless you break open the wall within 8" of the cutout and support the wire)?

All the old work boxes I have seen have cable clamps so the wire can be fished to the box.

Al

220/221

I believe you are correct.

acrwc10

Master Code Professional
Occupation
Building inspector
iwire said:
Whatever floats your boat, I like using the right stuff for the job and then charging for it. :smile:

Agreed ! Even if you don't charge for it $2.00 should not be an excuse to not do it right.

VoltageHz

al said:
All the old work boxes I have seen have cable clamps so the wire can be fished to the box.

Al
I see. By cable clamps you mean those little plastic flaps in the back of the box, correct? I see the box you have pictured has flaps that come completely out instead of hinging like the old work boxes. Seems like a weak difference, but code nonetheless.

I don't deal with plastic boxes often, thanks for the heads up.

MF Dagger

A smaert box is like 2 bucks tops. On a service call or a little job like that no matter what single gang box you are using it should be pushing ten bucks to the customer. In my opinion at least.

Status
Not open for further replies.