Chicago and EMT

Status
Not open for further replies.

spark master

I just flew to Lombard, IL to help a friend with his house. High hats are done with EMT !!!! 1 high hat can to the next in EMT.
I did the basement, and ran BX (MC) to 1900 boxes for a basement workshop. I don't know if it's legal or not, but I'm happy with it. Then I'm installing a welding outlet in the garage, and I ran #8 BX across the basement, into the garage.

Is it legal ??? Who cares.. more than safe... and a step above my basement workshop in Romex...

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired PV System Designer
See that black pipe in the photo and was wondering if it is gas piping? Do they allow CSST there? I would be on board with not allowing CSST other then maybe for short flexible lengths at an appliance. Though if that is what it is I thought you couldn't have concealed fittings unless they are welded fittings.
Off topic but as far as I know the only gas code requirement for domestic post-meter pressures is that the assembled piping, including all joints whether threaded or not, needs to be leak checked before the walls etc. are closed around it.

SSDriver

Occupation
Electrician
Is EMT considered supported and secured when going through horizontal runs of wood framing? I know the code says you're OK as long as it's secured within 3'. Is simply passing EMT through a hole in a wood stud within 3' of the box sufficient?

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

synchro

Occupation
EE
Still a lack of dazzling photos....
There are some pics in this old post that may not be dazzling examples but they're still interesting:

It doesn't say it's from the Chicago area, but it's very likely that it is because of the horizontal positioning of the mud rings for receptacles.

On the right side of the last pic of post #11 it looks like they could've avoided hacking the stud by using a shepherd hook. Even without one it seems a little excessive.

Status
Not open for further replies.