cutting in recessed lights without access above how do you?

Status
Not open for further replies.

robwire

Shift your hole over in a circular hole???? So are the lights all out of line?

Wow! Really?

You don't do much old work do you?

Do you use a saws all to cut in your boxes?

I wish they were more clueless electricians like you around here.

Guys like you make guys like me look like superstars.

svh19044

Wow! Really?

You don't do much old work do you?

Do you use a saws all to cut in your boxes?

I wish they were more clueless electricians like you around here.

Guys like you make guys like me look like superstars.

We use multi masters with grit blades to cut boxes in plaster, with the vac running, and we do quite a few recessed lights every week :thumbsup: , never been called clueless when it came that. Nice. :lol: so you didn't answer the question....are your lights out of line or not?

Sincerely,
...just another award winning residential ec that makes guys like you look like a superstar. :slaphead:

But I guess this is where I pull out of the argument as well, some guys are set in their ways with old school tools that they won't accept the better, newer option. I suppose in the end, either way will get the job done in one form or the other.

Last edited:

KVA

My customer today was concerned about me putting recessed lights in because the last guy came and knocked holes all over and pretty much destroyed the entire ceiling. I showed her the holesaw and dust bowl and the rest was history. Apparently the last guy did the same thing that you do, trying to cut them in by hand, and there were chips and straight edges outside the can EVERYWHERE. They looked horrible. This was just a plaster layer, so no wood/lathe to contend with, but it's the same result either way. Usually I wouldn't think much of it, and I really never take progress pictures on such a simple stupid job, but her concern made me think of this thread.

Anyway, 4 went in without a hitch, EXTREMELY brittle plaster...apparently. Of course I didn't notice because I didn't try cutting them in by hand. :happysad:

IMAG0733.jpg

IMAG0731.jpg

IMAG0728.jpg

IMAG0735.jpg

IMAG0736.jpg

I kindly challenge you to cut a more perfect hole in to plaster, by hand.

Wow I forgot about this thread...

Anyway like i said before dude I have the same hole saw and everything. I have cut in 100s of recessed lights and they are all perfectly installed and never had a call back for any issues. I'm happy you feel you need to post pictures to validate yourself but guess what WE all do what you show in your pictures it's not hard. :thumbsup: By the way i don't see wood lathe in those holes. The job I did was wood lathe and 100+ year old plaster. And again their is a 1/4" lip on the housing and a half inch lip on the trim. Your hole can be alittle off and won't effect anything because it gets covered. I use a hole saw on drywall all the time and sometimes on plaster but this case i decided to do it by hand because of how severely brittle it was.

Also the customer was amazed at how perfect i cut the holes by hand and said "wow those nice clean holes good job".

KVA

I went as far as sending her two emails after the one I sent with the estimate. In the last one, I asked if she had any questions about the estimate. Nothing....no reply. I would rather her just say "you're too high" and be done with it.

They don't seem to have a problem with new granite counter tops, cabinets, vaulted ceiling redo etc. or even the swimming pool outside. They also have about the only insurance company in their small town. My price wasn't $100 per can and not as much as $185 per can so I thought it was fair, if not low.

A Klein off-set screwdriver works well for a probe through a 1/4" or smaller hole. Even a piece of #12 wire bent 90 deg, stick it in the hole and maneuver it up and in, spin it 360 to check for obstacles.

Exactly what I do. I bend a piece of wire in a 90 that will make roughly an 8 inch diameter circle when i spin it in the ceiling. The cans are 6 inch diameter but adding an extra 2 inches guarantees nothing is in the way. Sticking a screwdriver up in a hole does nothing but tell you what is directly above the hole and slightly to the sides. A bent wire guarantees nothing is in the way.

robwire

A google search won't help you with the fines :D .

Go take an EPA cert course. I'm actually surprised New Jersey doesn't list this as a requirement for obtaining and holding an electrical license.

Why should they?

Not every contractor works in old homes

6 sq feet per room is a lot.

Since we have a home improvement contractor lic. We aren't allowed to do major Sheetrock repair with out it,therefore there would be a GC on the job. That lead paint thingy is the GC's responsibly not ours.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
Hold on there. If you are going to be stirring up the lead dust - you have to know how to safely manage that dust. As does every person that is around it. Asbestos is the same way.

Absolutely, the epa doesn't care who stirs it up or who cleans it but if you make the mess and there is no GC on the job who is certified then it is your responsibility.

Also... lets keep the posts civil. A few post above are crossing the line.

Last edited:

kwired

Electron manager
Absolutely, the epa doesn't care who stirs it up or who cleans it but if you make the mess and there is no GC on the job who is certified then it is your responsibility.

Also... lets keep the posts civil. A few post above are crossing the line.

If I understand correctly it does not matter if there is a certified GC or not. Everyone working must be certified. Certification can come from within the company I think, but that means documentation and not just telling someone they are now certified.

ritelec

JUST A NOTE.............for installing old work in plaster lathe..........which ever method you may use,,,,,,,,,

Watch as to not disturb the plaster where it wraps around the lath for support.

I learned the hard way. When I bought this ole house of mine many moons ago.....I came in like a banchee cutting high hats throughout the 2nd floor.

With a combination of the spans being too long for 2x4 faming of the ceiling (bowing) and me cutting away.............long story short, the plaster separated from the lath

so I had to remove all the plaster and replace with rock (before the plaster came down like a rock).

Status
Not open for further replies.