dishwasher means of disc.?

Status
Not open for further replies.

stickboy1375

brantmacga said:
You're not taking the equipment apart. You slide it out, then unplug. The appliance wasn't put in place to keep someone from accessing the receptacle.

Neither 422.16 or 422.33 say "readily accessible".

Thanks, glad I learned something tonight.

brantmacga

Señor Member
Occupation
Former Child
stickboy1375 said:
Thanks, glad I learned something tonight.

that was my reply to frizbeedog's reply just before your last. he argues:

frizbeedog said:
I think if you have to take apart the equipment itself it falls under or other effective means

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
brantmacga said:
You slide it out, then unplug.

I wish it were that easy. You have to undo the drain and the water then you can slide it out. I am not going to argue the code compliance of it because it is too subjective.

But.... why would you install a recep. behind the unit when you have a cabinet next to the dw where you can install the outlet?

brantmacga

Señor Member
Occupation
Former Child
frizbeedog said:
Me too. But I'm not sure I like it?

For the record, when was a dishwasher easily slid out?

I can't help you there. :D I don't make the laws sir, I simply obey. . . .some of them.

stickboy1375

Dennis Alwon said:
I wish it were that easy. You have to undo the drain and the water then you can slide it out. I am not going to argue the code compliance of it because it is too subjective.

But.... why would you install a recep. behind the unit when you have a cabinet next to the dw where you can install the outlet?

No idea, but sometimes you take what your given... ;)

brantmacga

Señor Member
Occupation
Former Child
Dennis Alwon said:

I've done several high-end custom homes where the dishwasher wasn't next to the sink. Anyhow, I just don't like putting the recep for the DW under the sink, and I don't have to. I'm not an appliance repairman, but I don't think they service the motors without taking it out of the hole. Maybe the front panel controls, but I'll leave that to them.

frizbeedog

brantmacga said:
I can't help you there. :D I don't make the laws sir, I simply obey. . . .some of them.

There are many other methods to employ before having to resort to a method that might be questionable.

Last edited:

frizbeedog

brantmacga said:
I've done several high-end custom homes where the dishwasher wasn't next to the sink. Anyhow, I just don't like putting the recep for the DW under the sink, and I don't have to. I'm not an appliance repairman, but I don't think they service the motors without taking it out of the hole. Maybe the front panel controls, but I'll leave that to them.

Can't you find a high-end breaker lock. :rolleyes: :wink: :grin:

brantmacga

Señor Member
Occupation
Former Child
frizbeedog said:
Can't you find a high-end breaker lock. :rolleyes: :wink: :grin:

No need too. The point was, the DW's not always by the sink so you can't assume everyone will put it under the sink. until the code changes i will continue to put a recep behind the dw. it just makes my life a whole lot easier. plus, i don't have to purchase a breaker lock. you're just trying to drive my costs up and make me less competitive. :D

frizbeedog

brantmacga said:
No need too. The point was, the DW's not always by the sink so you can't assume everyone will put it under the sink. until the code changes i will continue to put a recep behind the dw. it just makes my life a whole lot easier. plus, i don't have to purchase a breaker lock. you're just trying to drive my costs up and make me less competitive. :D

So puting in a receptacle adds no cost to the job?...Seems like a wash to me.

And I would never try to run your costs up.

brantmacga

Señor Member
Occupation
Former Child
frizbeedog said:
So puting in a receptacle adds no cost to the job?...Seems like a wash to me.

And I would never try to run your costs up.

I prefer the recep behind the appliance for two reasons:

It saves the time of getting out the drill and putting it through under the sink

I can attach the cord to the dishwasher and leave it in the box. The plumbers can put it in the hole when they attach their water and plug it in.

frizbeedog

brantmacga said:

It saves the time of getting out the drill and putting it through under the sink

I can attach the cord to the dishwasher and leave it in the box. The plumbers can put it in the hole when they attach their water and plug it in.

OK....I surrender. :grin:

BackInTheHabit

Never known a plumber that actually plugged in the cord to the dishwasher when the receptacle is behind the dishwasher.

Prefer the receptacle under the sink method. Easier to disconnect.

Polarcat

brantmacga said:

Accessible (as applied to equipment).
Admitting close approach; not guarded by locked doors, elevation, or other effective means.

Accessible (as applied to wiring methods). Capable of being removed or exposed without damaging the building structure or finish or not permanently closed in by the structure or finish of the building.

Installing the receptacle behind the dishwasher meets code.

OK back to my orriginal argument, here is the word "Capable" again in the code and the intent is clear that whatever tools it takes to do. it goes to further explain that limitations of the process at which it can be reached IE whithout damage etc.. it doesnt say provided quick release cam locks, or removal whith no tools etc... so why would i be responsible for the breaker lockout, far as i am concerned the breaker is "capable" of being locked

brantmacga

Señor Member
Occupation
Former Child
Polarcat said:
so why would i be responsible for the breaker lockout, far as i am concerned the breaker is "capable" of being locked

You're taking that out of context. You have to provide a means of disconnect so the equipment can be safely serviced. Read through these codes we've all cited again. Its right there.

480sparky

brantmacga said:

I run 12/3 between the disposal switch and the duplex under the sink, making it a split recep. You've got to install the disposal recep anyway, so what's one more wire?

Kontrols

I don't agree with the plug either unless it is accessable without removing the dishwasher. I don't see it as accessible if it is behind the dishwasher.

Preferred method is putting a switch on the backsplash, or putting the plug in an accessable location "like under the sink". This is the same as the plug used for a disposal unit.

Putting a single outlet branch plug under the sink for the dishwasher "plug" is something I have seen often, putting a switch box in the same location for this purpose I have seen rarely but it works well too.

hillbilly

Kontrols said:
I don't agree with the plug either unless it is accessable without removing the dishwasher. I don't see it as accessible if it is behind the dishwasher.

Me too.

steve

brantmacga

Señor Member
Occupation
Former Child
i firmly disagree with you all on the accessible part. it does not say "Readily Accessible". I think it was sticky boy who brought up the point about a refrigerator. Tell me your thoughts on why it is an exception?

Status
Not open for further replies.