dishwasher means of disc.?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
Kontrols Putting a single outlet branch plug under the sink for the dishwasher "plug" is something I have seen often said:
So if I am laying on the floor working on the dw and the switch is located behind doors , then is it within sight......:grin:

I actually got called on that in a very similar installation. I was flabbergasted--- didin't know what to say... that is a rarity.

lmchenry

No one has answered the question as to whether the off switch on the dishwasher accounts for the disconnecting means. Please do. We allow it to here in TN.

frizbeedog

lmchenry said:
No one has answered the question as to whether the off switch on the dishwasher accounts for the disconnecting means. Please do. We allow it to here in TN.

but they're all answers to the question.

Ain't it cool. :cool: :cool: :cool:

BackInTheHabit

lmchenry said:

I wouldn't consider the off switch on the dishwasher a disconnecting means.

The off switch may turn off the dishwasher itself, but power is still applied to the dishwasher.

stickboy1375

lmchenry said:

Check out 422.34, The unit switch would have to be marked with a "OFF" position, and disconnect all ungrounded conductors...

IMO, all newer DW's do not meet this requirement.

badabing

480sparky said:
I run 12/3 between the disposal switch and the duplex under the sink, making it a split recep. You've got to install the disposal recep anyway, so what's one more wire?

same here.

brantmacga

Señor Member
Occupation
Former Child
stickboy1375 said:
Check out 422.34, The unit switch would have to be marked with a "OFF" position, and disconnect all ungrounded conductors...

IMO, all newer DW's do not meet this requirement.

correct ...........

iwire

Staff member
Polarcat said:
he had another contractor go in and put a cord and plug (behind the unit, voliation in itself, not accessible,

Not a violation, specifically allowed by 422.16(B)(2)(4).

Also take a look at the definition of Accessible in Article 100.

As far as the lock out.

From 422.31(B)

"The provision for locking or adding a lock to the disconnecting means shall be installed on or at the switch or circuit breaker used as the disconnecting means shall remain in place with or without the lock installed"

Status
Not open for further replies.