E.M.T. good for ground

Status
Not open for further replies.

peter d

iwire said:
The truth is properly steel conduit has a lower impedance then any copper EGC you will install inside it.

But what if someone forgets to tighten a lock nut or setscrew? ;)

And around and around we go! :D

iwire

Staff member
peter d said:
But what if someone forgets to tighten a lock nut or setscrew? ;)

Then they should fail inspection for not properly installing conduit. :grin:

I am also sure that regardless of the fact they do not properly run conduit that they will definitely properly connect conductors. :wink:

peter d

iwire said:
I am also sure that regardless of the fact they do not properly run conduit that they will definitely properly connect conductors. :wink:

Oh absolutely. Their splices will look nothing like this:

boxfill_.jpg

Photo credit of "Electure" on ECN

Last edited:

EBFD6

This feels like deja vu!

I always tape my wire nuts on the ground conductors before I install my receptacles ground up!!!

peter d

I'm sure all those EGC's in the bulging red wirenut are making a good connection. :roll:

Hopefully everyone can see the point being made here. :)

iwire

Staff member
Yes I have used them for old work, not new.

If I am on a service call and open a box like the one in Pete's picture I will add a ring so I can close it up.

peter d

dcspector said:
Clueless..........

I don't know if you're joking or not so I'll play the fool. Those who install raceways improperly are going to splice improperly too. Running an redundant EGC isn't going to make a bit of difference to the overall quality of the installation of those who don't care.

Last edited:

electricmanscott

I tape the couplings to keep the screws that I don't tighten from falling out.

I also agree that the egc does make an excellent pull string to add new circuits.

dcspector

peter d said:
I don't know if you're joking or not so I'll play the fool. Those who install raceways improperly are going to splice improperly too. Running an redundant EGC isn't going to make a bit of difference to the overall quality of the installation of those who don't care.

Peter I was not joking. I asked a question several posts back.....I don't know if it was answered or not.

peter d

dcspector said:
Peter I was not joking. I asked a question several posts back.....I don't know if it was answered or not.

Ahhh...I went back and saw the question. You probably should start a new thread...this one is beyond salvage. :D

wirebender

dcspector said:
If one runs #8 ungrounded conductors with a #12 EGC, OCPD 50 amp(75c Terminations) and all installed in 3/4" EMT set screw would they stiil have to meet 250.122 and install a #10

Yes, although the EMT by itself would be sufficient. If you install a wire EGC it be sized per T250.122.

dcspector said:
or lets say the OCPD is 20 amp for the same above senario, would one then have to meet 250.122(B).

Yes

dcspector said:
I guess my question is, if one installs an EGC in EMT, would that EGC still have to meet the referenced Articles, in both senarios? I seem to remember a thread on this awhile back.

Yes

Jim W in Tampa

The risk of no ground is allmost nill if we run emt and a grd wire.They reinforce each other at every box.Now whats at debate is the added cost and that is getting high.For me its simple i run it till my boss says to stop.Think about a pipe coming loose at first 10 feet from panel and no ground wire and wood building.Now let a motor or whatever short to case.Everything else that has a case just became live.

Had to blow some wind on the fire if this is gonna make the 5,000 mark.

iwire

Staff member
Jim W in Tampa said:
Think about a pipe coming loose at first 10 feet from panel and no ground wire and wood building.Now let a motor or whatever short to case.Everything else that has a case just became live..

And that is different from a PVC or NM job how? :grin:

Status
Not open for further replies.