Electrician upset with inspection

Status
Not open for further replies.

lpelectric

dlhoule said:
lpelectric, If you worked in the great State of Michigan, where Licensing is required to do electrical work, you wouldn't get that kind of work to inspect.

Well, okay, maybe the occasional HO and the fly by nights who usually do not stay around.:grin:

I'm all for licensing electrical inspectors! :smile:

growler

480sparky said:
Mebbe 'cuzz dis is his first inspection? ;)

In this area we have small remodeling contractors that almost never get a permit or an inspection. They really get bent out of shape when they have to get a permit and even more upset if the inspector finds anything wrong.

The really funny part is that everyone of them will tell you that their work meets code even though most of them don't own a code book and haven't passed an inspection in years.

I offered to loan one of them my CABO building code book and he said he didn't need it then he gets mad when the inspector tell him he need to buy one. :grin: :grin:

lpelectric

growler said:
The really funny part is that everyone of them will tell you that their work meets code even though most of them don't own a code book .....

I would love to have a film done of close up shots of the faces I've seen over the years telling me, with all sorts of "convincing" grins, smiles, looks of assuredness, and condescending "huffs", that there's no need to worry, "I know the code backwards and forwards"....only to quiz them on the color of the code book's cover and have them stymied in their tracks....:grin:

iwire

Staff member
lpelectric said:
Which of the following is true:
  • Our zip code is E-I-E-I-O
  • We have kerosene-powered TV's
  • It takes us an hour and a half to watch 60 Minutes
  • The population never changes in Essex County. (everytime a young girl gets pregnant, a young fella leaves town)
  • All of the above
  • :grin:

LOL :grin: :grin:

Jim W in Tampa

lpelectric said:
Which of the following is true:
  • Our zip code is E-I-E-I-O
  • We have kerosene-powered TV's
  • It takes us an hour and a half to watch 60 Minutes
  • The population never changes in Essex County. (everytime a young girl gets pregnant, a young fella leaves town)
  • All of the above
  • :grin:

Bet they miss there brother too.

cadpoint

Works for me

Works for me

lpelectric said:
in the sense of "unfinished", 210.8(A)(5)
for a better understanding I always point out the exceptions as a way to clarify the intent of the rule. :smile:

:rolleyes:

So True!

Last edited:

wbalsam1

I heard they had a "Beauty Contest" up there in Essex County and NOBODY won! :grin: So they gave it to the judge 'cause he walked a little funny.....:grin:

Krim

Originally Posted by lpelectric
I did an inspection of a 1 family dwelling a while back and found these items:
  • Csst not bonded to the GES (plumber's responsibility)

m73214 said:
[/list]1. Around here, CSST bonding is the electricians job.

Would at least one of you decipher CSST please ?
I'm a little slow with abreviations . :confused:

wbalsam1

Krim said:
Originally Posted by lpelectric
I did an inspection of a 1 family dwelling a while back and found these items:
  • Csst not bonded to the GES (plumber's responsibility)

Corrugated Stainless Steel Tubing
The yellow covered gas tubing so prevalent in dwellings today.:smile: GES grounding electrode system

iwire

Staff member
Krim said:

It is a type of stainless steel plastic covered flexible gas line being used now. The manufacturers of it have required bonding of it.

Krim

wbalsam1 said:
Corrugated Stainless Steel Tubing
The yellow covered gas tubing so prevalent in dwellings today.:smile: GES grounding electrode system

Thanks,
I was pretty sure about the GES , but I'd never heard of the CSST and even now can't say that I've ever seen it . Of course most of the work I've done for the past 7 years or so has all been industrial related and most of that has been done in and on older facilities.

Thanks also to iwire for clarifying this for me.

Carl

JohnJ0906

Krim said:
Thanks,
I was pretty sure about the GES , but I'd never heard of the CSST and even now can't say that I've ever seen it . Of course most of the work I've done for the past 7 years or so has all been industrial related and most of that has been done in and on older facilities.

I think it is only used in dwellings. And it is a relatively new product.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
It looks like this

csst_bg.jpg

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
JohnJ0906 said:
"It goes where black iron fears to thread"

:roll:

I have told my builders if they use it they are responsible to bond it. So far the last big job I did they used all black Iron

Energize

If the black iron gas pipe is bonded, does the CSST still require bonding?

I am not familiar with this product, but I assume it connects to the black iron with metal fittings. Is this correct?

Not sure I understand the reasoning for the separate bonding requirements.

Status
Not open for further replies.