Electrician upset with inspection

Status
Not open for further replies.

Krim

Dennis Alwon said:
It looks like this

csst_bg.jpg

Thanks Dennis for the picture, now I know what it looks like, and thanks to iwire & wbalsam1 for explaining what it's used for.

This is why the forum is so great ... you can check it out and be guaranteed to learn at least 1 new thing each and every visit .

In case others had missed the relative posting ...
" CSST : Corrugated Stainless Steel Tubing = The yellow covered gas tubing so prevalent in dwellings today." Quoted by wbalsam1

I hope you don't mind my quoting you wbalsam1 ?

Carl :)

Last edited:

wbalsam1

Krim said:
......In case others had missed the relative posting ...
" CSST : Corrugated Stainless Steel Tubing = The yellow covered gas tubing so prevalent in dwellings today." Quoted by wbalsam1

I hope you don't mind my quoting you wbalsam1 ?

Quote me all you want, Carl. :smile:

Pierre: The picture showing the bonding conductor...isn't this conductor required to be a #6 as per the manufacturer's installation instructions? :confused: :smile:

stickboy1375

wbalsam1 said:
Quote me all you want, Carl. :smile:

Pierre: The picture showing the bonding conductor...isn't this conductor required to be a #6 as per the manufacturer's installation instructions? :confused: :smile:

Yeah, that bond wire looks awfully small...

wbalsam1

stickboy1375 said:
Yeah, that bond wire looks awfully small...

I believe I remember seeing a table in the manufacturer's installation instructions that came out after the class action lawsuit that sized the bonding conductor according to the size of the service amperage, and I think this conductor looks too small. :smile:

Bob
Don't get too crazy over the securing, it is only gas :wink:

I do not know what size the bonding conductor is. I was in the building inspecting for low voltage, a different inspection company was inspecting the power. That's right, ECs can use different inspection companies.

There are six different manufacturers of CSST and I believe that they basically have six different installation instructions.

How do you like the rust on the gas pipe? Makes for a good conductor :rolleyes:

Krim

Pierre C Belarge said:
... How do you like the rust on the gas pipe? Makes for a good conductor :rolleyes:

Oddly enough that's what I thought when I saw the picture.
Thanks Pierre for posting the pictures showing this CSST installed on a job. You guys are great for seeing to it that you cover all the aspects of a questioned apparatus thats for sure . I should be able to ID this stuff now from across a room . Especially since yellow is 1 of my favorite colors.
Thanks again to all of you .

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
Pierre,
Is the short precut section really CSST, or is that an flexible gas appliance connection? It is my understanding that you can't use CSST in place of a flexible gas appliance connection as it is not as heavy walled as the appliance connection.
Don

stickboy1375

don_resqcapt19 said:
Pierre,
Is the short precut section really CSST, or is that an flexible gas appliance connection? It is my understanding that you can't use CSST in place of a flexible gas appliance connection as it is not as heavy walled as the appliance connection.
Don

Mine too, you cannot use CSST as a flexible gas connection.

Minuteman

One more thing Carl. The yellow cover on it is made just like the gray cover on Sealtight. Except for the fact that it is stainless steel and corrugated, you would almost think that it WAS Sealtight.

Krim said:
I do have another,probably dumb,question though ...
Why do they use black steel pipe instead of the galvanized pipe ?
Dumb Huh ?

the reason why becuse the inteal part of galvized pipe the stuff will flake off and can clog up nozzle or orifices on Natrual gas and LPG gas but note that it will affect on fuel oil / Diesel Fuel as well.

that why i work on diesel generators we always specifed black pipe only [or copper pipes if code do allowed it ] because the galvinzed pipe can clogged up filter and injector pump and fuel injectors can get damaged from this.

[ i did see few diesel engines get the injector damaged from galvilzed pipes and it was pricey to replace all injectors and pump as well.]

It been written in the Fuel Gas code for long time ditto with fuel oil code [ if i recall it kinda overlap to that part ]

Merci, Marc

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.