Emf

Status
Not open for further replies.

mcclary's electrical

First time caller today says ever since she had about 100 stainless steel staples in her stomache from an operation, that she is very sensitve to EMF. She claims she cannot even sleep at night without turning ALL the breakers off in the entire house. She says the smart meter on her house puts off such a field that she can't go near it. She says that with all breakers off, she was managing to sleep ok, then her neighbor got a wireless router and is really messing her up. She supposedly can tell when her neighbor is moving data!! Could this woman be off her rocker? The problem is so bad, she wants it corrected immediately or she is moving. I told her that she is feeling something that does not affect 99.9% of people in America. HAs anyone dealt with this?

cadpoint

You could well freak her out... But

You could probably go over there with a gauss meter, and at least check here three way switches or all the switches for that matter.

Check the panel and breakers.

I'd go to a new panel first, new wiring, new install to use as a baseline reference verse just reading her's.

The EMF is all around us. I've been around a sonic welder and I could have have sworn that I felt my filling rattle in my teeth. not a nice feeling!

I also heard of cases where the Low-E values of windows was killing plants not letting certain parts of the sunshine through... :grin:

Maybe she needs a glazer not an electrician!

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
EMF's have been known to cause problems with some people. Are they all crazy? Perhaps but I would give her the benefit of the doubt. As Jude stated, go over there with a gaussmeter-- you can buy one for $100-$200 and see if the readings are high.

You may be able to fix some of it but I suspect there may be a grounding issue or something that is creating issues-- not sure about that. I do know of 3 major emf contributors but it will not help if she feels this with the power off.

mivey

I believe she is feeling something. I do not believe it has anything to do with the EMF sources she stated. It would be fairly simple to prove it is not the EMF sources by setting up a single-blind test that would show she can't tell when something is on or off. I suspect she would not believe the results.

suemarkp

Occupation
Retired Engineer
How big are the staples? The wavelength for RF in the 3 GHz range is .1 meters. A quarter wavelength would be about an inch. Are the staples that size? Could be acting like little antennas for the plethora of 2.8 GHz equipment around.

I'm not sure how regular 120V power would affect it.

I agree with the poster who mentioned a double blind test. If she really is that sensitive, I don't know where she's going to live unless it is way out in the country with no RF sources and with limited 120V power properly cabled.

mcclary's electrical

How big are the staples? The wavelength for RF in the 3 GHz range is .1 meters. A quarter wavelength would be about an inch. Are the staples that size? Could be acting like little antennas for the plethora of 2.8 GHz equipment around.

I'm not sure how regular 120V power would affect it.

I agree with the poster who mentioned a double blind test. If she really is that sensitive, I don't know where she's going to live unless it is way out in the country with no RF sources and with limited 120V power properly cabled.

This is along the lines of my thinking. Thanks alot Sue

SAC

Well, a Faraday cage brings you, and everthing around you to the same potential.

Her wire mesh is probably, ACTUALLY blocking EMF's. I tend to believe she feels something.

She would need to sleep completely surrounded by wire mesh. Electro-magnetics waves care nothing about under or over - they'll just come in from the direction that isn't covered. A completely enclosed area is required (e.g., like the cages that are built for performing EMI testing).

And there is NO WAY that her staples would ever pick up 60 Hz EMI!

mcclary's electrical

She would need to sleep completely surrounded by wire mesh. Electro-magnetics waves care nothing about under or over - they'll just come in from the direction that isn't covered. A completely enclosed area is required (e.g., like the cages that are built for performing EMI testing).

And there is NO WAY that her staples would ever pick up 60 Hz EMI![/
QUOTE]

I would like for you to prove the highlighted portion of your statement

Status
Not open for further replies.