Emf

Status
Not open for further replies.

SAC

She would need to sleep completely surrounded by wire mesh. Electro-magnetics waves care nothing about under or over - they'll just come in from the direction that isn't covered. A completely enclosed area is required (e.g., like the cages that are built for performing EMI testing).

And there is NO WAY that her staples would ever pick up 60 Hz EMI![/
QUOTE]

I would like for you to prove the highlighted portion of your statement

I'd like for you to PROVE anything! :)

It is almost self evident if one understands that the staples are little antenna, probably less than than an inch. Stainless steel is a very uniform and well understood conductor. The wavelength of 60Hz is thousands of miles. That means those tiny little antenna are pretty much useless for picking up any energy from 60Hz. Note that this is much different than talking about the effect of 60Hz on body tissue - which is not nearly such a good conductor and is certainly not uniform. I'll make no statement about 60Hz effects on body tissue.

ohmhead

Well she is nuts !

Second there is no way she is picking up a EMF from AC POWER in her house its not going to happen .

Tell her to stop watching TV and stop reading those stories on ghost busters .

:roll:

Besoeker

It is almost self evident if one understands that the staples are little antenna, probably less than than an inch. Stainless steel is a very uniform and well understood conductor. The wavelength of 60Hz is thousands of miles. That means those tiny little antenna are pretty much useless for picking up any energy from 60Hz.
I mostly agree. At 60Hz, the wavelength is 5,000 km or a bit over 3,000 miles.
And I'd say your "less than an inch" for the staples is probably generous - imagine 100 one inch staples - well, maybe better not to....

The wireless router? Wavelength maybe 3 inches or so.
Range possibly 100ft with signal strength decreasing in accordance with an inverse square law.

Now, the poor woman may be in discomfort or may be suffering from anxiety over quite unrelated issues.

EMF? I don't think that likely.

ggunn

PE (Electrical), NABCEP certified
Occupation
Consulting Electrical Engineer - Photovoltaic Systems
I'd like for you to PROVE anything! :)

It is almost self evident if one understands that the staples are little antenna, probably less than than an inch. Stainless steel is a very uniform and well understood conductor. The wavelength of 60Hz is thousands of miles. That means those tiny little antenna are pretty much useless for picking up any energy from 60Hz. Note that this is much different than talking about the effect of 60Hz on body tissue - which is not nearly such a good conductor and is certainly not uniform. I'll make no statement about 60Hz effects on body tissue.

I have a music studio in my garage. There is an overhead electrical distribution line running down the side of my property about 20 feet from my house. If you are in my studio playing a guitar with single coil (non-humbucking) pickups through a high gain amplifier, your amp will howl at 60 Hz unless you turn 90 degrees from the field. Your antenna does not have to be anywhere near a wavelength long to pick up energy from RF.

Don S.

The problem is a difference of potential between the staples. She needs to contact her surgeon to have a bond wire installed between all of them.

mcclary's electrical

I have a music studio in my garage. There is an overhead electrical distribution line running down the side of my property about 20 feet from my house. If you are in my studio playing a guitar with single coil (non-humbucking) pickups through a high gain amplifier, your amp will howl at 60 Hz unless you turn 90 degrees from the field. Your antenna does not have to be anywhere near a wavelength long to pick up energy from RF.

That's an interesting observation. How long are 6 guitar strings?

SAC

Yes, that is true. That is caused by coupling of the distribution line electric field with the many windings in the pickup. That in turn is then amplified by a high-impedance high-gain amplifier. I suppose a staple could, in some way, act as a coil. However, with the tiny enclosed area, the lack of multiple windings, and the lack of amplifier, the result would be the same - a tiny signal.

More to the point - grab the two leads of an oscilloscope, and observe the displayed 60Hz waveform. It's easy to get 10's of mV. I'd bet the body itself is a much better receptor of 60Hz than those tiny little staples - though I couldn't say why. What kind of circuit element is the body acting as?

Last edited:

mcclary's electrical

Yes, that is true. That is caused by coupling of the distribution line electric field with the many windings in the pickup. That in turn is then amplified by a high-impedance high-gain amplifier. I suppose a staple could, in some way, act as a coil. However, with the tiny enclosed area, the lack of multiple windings, and the lack of amplifier, the result would be the same - a tiny signal.

More to the point - grab the two leads of an oscilloscope, and observe the displayed 60Hz waveform. It's easy to get 10's of mV. I'd bet the body itself is a much better receptor of 60Hz than those tiny little staples - though I couldn't say why. What kind of circuit element is the body acting as?

I wouldn't really the body is acting as a circuit element. The body may be irrevelent. The staples "coupled" to nerve endings atached straight to her brain could be flowing something. Measurable? I'm not sure. To her, it's real, whether it is actually being induced from an outside source, or merely her own electrical energy being spent on focusing on the wound

farmaped

The surgicle staples are most likely titanium. This is because titanium tends to be a bit easier on the immune system, and, titanium is of course nonferrousmagnetic, so if the patient needs an MRI while stapled, there will be less interference. I know this because my stomach is laden with staples, which I assumed where stainless steel, they certainly appear to be stainless steel.

Status
Not open for further replies.