Employee Question - What would you do?

Status
Not open for further replies.

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
emahler said:
so which job would you have him drive to? all of them? have the mechanic go out of his way at some point to meet up wih him?

thoughts?

One of my thoughts is that you said you didn't really need him for these jobs anyway, so why did you send him in the first place?

360Youth

sheldon_ace said:
I say the train leaves at 6am, if your not on it, you find your own way there. If you want to work, than be there, if not than stay home. I am not a baby sitter, if a grown man cannot motivate themselves, than thats their problem.

Gerry

That's my take as well. As already mentioned, if there is a history.\ it may be time to go.

emahler

petersonra said:
One of my thoughts is that you said you didn't really need him for these jobs anyway, so why did you send him in the first place?
because he works with that mechanic everyday....and growler didn't call mw last night with the ditch idea

emahler

dbuckley said:
Gee, you guys are pretty hard.

I assume this cuts both ways, you cut no slack to guys on arrival, and they cut you no slack at the end of the day?

99 percent of the time i don't care if they are 5-10 mins late...but at that hour, with where we had to go......15 mins is the difference between a 40 min ride and a 90 min ride due to traffic.

LawnGuyLandSparky

ITO said:
Hmm I did not realize other states did this.

Not here. If you send someone home for being late, that is your prerogatived. If they don't like it, they can quit and/or possibly file for unemployment, at which point you can contest it and then it would go before a mediator who is still not a judge. The Texas Workforce Commission takes a pretty dim view of people who cant seem to get to work on time.

Now if the guy was a minority and claimed discrimination, then a judge would probably get involved.

You'll encounter problems if you sent Joe home for being 10 minutes late, but you did NOT send Mark home for being 15 minutes late the week before.

I don't know anything about the Texas Workforce commission, but anyone who looks at a case and sees an otherwise reliable employee is burned at the stake for one lateness is probably going to sympathize with the employee. (Should that employee subsequently get fired, and file for UE benefits.)

220/221

I would consider a couple things.

1. Was the 6AM start earlier than normal?

2. was this a first, second or tenth infraction?

I cut guys a lot of slack..up to a point. If I have already had the talk with them about getting their xxxx out of bed I wouldn't go out of my way for him.

Unless this was a first time thing and/or an early start time, I would have told him to drive himself to the job (s) if he wanted to work.

Last edited by a moderator:

e57

As a man who has called in drunk before - I'd say things happen. But chronic problems are just that.... I'm sure you know where that line is.

emahler

i guess, I was just curious what everyone would do in this particular instance, dealing with just what occurred today...ie - tell him to stay home, tell him to drive all over the state to each job, make the mechanic go out of his way to meet up with him, etc....

celtic

emahler said:
i guess, I was just curious what everyone would do in this particular instance, dealing with just what occurred today...ie - tell him to stay home, tell him to drive all over the state to each job, make the mechanic go out of his way to meet up with him, etc....

Now we are all curious as to what you did:
  • told him to stay home,
  • told him to drive all over the state to each job,
  • made the mechanic go out of his way to meet up with him,
  • etc

wireman71

If its the first offense. I'd ignore it. If it's happened few times then talk about getting to work on time. Send me home without pay? LOL, I'll stop off at another EC and have another job before I get home.

emahler

wireman71 said:
If its the first offense. I'd ignore it. If it's happened few times then talk about getting to work on time. Send me home without pay? LOL, I'll stop off at another EC and have another job before I get home.

ok...did you see the part about the traffic and travel done through out the day? what you you have done on this day, in this case?

had the mechanic wait at the shop until 7am when the apprentice arrived? then not get to the site until 8:30a, instead of being on site at 7am like we were supposed to be?

have the apprentice drive 100+ miles in his own car?

the route that the mechanic took yesterday was circular...he didn't backtrack at all...so it's not like the apprentice could meet him at some point that they were going to pass again, and leave his car.

so, in what way would you ignore it....

emahler

celtic said:
Now we are all curious as to what you did:
  • told him to stay home,
  • told him to drive all over the state to each job,
  • made the mechanic go out of his way to meet up with him,
  • etc

well, you are just gonna have to wait...but I will say that what I did is listed above....

i don't know if this part was mentioned....finally got the apprentice on the phone at 6:30a...he was still in bed, he overslept....

Last edited:

JohnE

I can't believe you want your apprentice to come to work an hour early just so you can get rich.

;) :grin:

I'd have given him till 6:15 and had the mechanic go after that. And tell him to drive his car the rest of the day if he wants to work. But if there were signs that he is not going to make it long term, I'd think about letting him go now.

emahler

yep....call me mean rich bossman.....

i guess i am really interested with what other mechanics and apprentices think....more so than contractors

cowboyjwc

Staff member
Here's what I think as an employee. I am late and I should live with whatever happens. If the boss says we need to come in at 5:00 AM then that's when we come in and if the boss says that we work through lunch then we work through lunch, if we need to stay until 6:00 then we stay til 6:00.

Now the good bosses will have no trouble with an hour lunch every now and then or even paying for it, saying you know we're at a good stopping point lets knock off early and paying you for the whole day, you need the day off? Sure no problem see you tomorrow. You know what we made out all right on that last job here's a little something extra. Thanks for your hard work

It's always a two way street. You get what you give.

Rewire

wireman71 said:
First question I would ask is why did you leave your last employer.And I do check with last employer.I have had several workers that I am glad they now work for a competitor.

emahler

cowboy - all our guys get paid lunches everyday...they also get guaranteed 40 w/ ot for everything above...

rewire - i agree...anyone who is only looking out for themselves can keep on looking.....

Status
Not open for further replies.