Employee Question - What would you do?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rewire

ITO said:
He is only drunk on his time, and as far as I can tell not impaired while on the clock.

I have a number of other guys who show up every morning reeking of the night before, it's a hard call sometimes. What people do off the clock is not my business, but I also know it can effect it, but am still very uncomfortable sticking my nose in other folks private life.
A drunk is a drunk ,if you think he does not drink on your time I am here to tell you that it is a safe bet he is.I have to remember that everything an employee does reflects on my company even when they are off the job.Anything that has a negative impact on my business will not be allowed.I would never allow someone any contact with customers if they smelled of booze,or if they just smelled.

celtic

cowboyjwc said:
Guys Shhhhh, I have a terrible hangover. :cool:
The guy with hangover gets to find the boxes/pipes that have been covered/filled with cement...here's your chipping gun, if I can't hear it - you're done :grin:

cowboyjwc said:
Quit in 1986, haven't touched a drop since.
Good for you...stay strong.:smile:

cowboyjwc

Staff member
celtic said:
The guy with hangover gets to find the boxes/pipes that have been covered/filled with cement...here's your chipping gun, if I can't hear it - you're done :grin:

Good for you...stay strong.:smile:

One time we were doing a pool in this hell hole of an area, it had to be 100+ degrees and not a lick of shade and my boss thought my nickname was "ditch witch". Dig a couple of feet and puke, dig some more, puke some more. My boss thought it was the funniest thing he'd seen and said it served me right. Never mix beer, tequila, vodka, and the rest of the liquor cabinet.:grin:

Thanks, quit for several reasons, some health and some personal. Didn't get or need any help, so it's never been a problem.

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
cowboyjwc said:
Never mix beer, tequila, vodka, and the rest of the liquor cabinet.:grin:
Know what you call a mix of milk of magnesia and vodka?

A Philips screwdriver. :grin:

ITO

There was a story on the news about a company in Florida firring people who smoked, even if they only did it at home because of increased insurance costs.

480sparky

boboelectric said:
How about cigerette smoking,too?I once got turned down for a job when I was young because the owner saw a pack of them in my shirt pocket."Smokers spend too much of my time smoking!"

Worked with a guy who called smokers "85-percenters".

donselectric

does he do a good job? do you have to watch him every 2 min?
is he late? we all like to party. personally i dont care what anyone does
as long as the job gets done. god knows i'm no angel...;)

jmo

SmithBuilt

480sparky said:
Worked with a guy who called smokers "85-percenters".

I'm gonna remember that one. It's true.

I don't mean to offend any smokers do what you want on your time. Holding a cigarette on my time is a problem. I no longer allow smoking on my jobs. I even grew up in the heart of tobacco country. RJR made a lot of my relatives rich. But I've had enough.

JohnE

Not that I want this to turn into a smoking threadjack. But only one of my employees smokes. And I have no problem with it. He knows when it is appropriate and when it is not.

360Youth

donselectric said:
does he do a good job? do you have to watch him every 2 min?
is he late? we all like to party. personally i dont care what anyone does
as long as the job gets done. god knows i'm no angel...;)

jmo

Shortly after getting out of college and having to find some kind of work, I went to one of those group interviews (I won't say where, but it rhymes with MalWart:grin: ). I have always been taught to wear shirt and tie to interviews. Another guy there wore a "Party all night, sleep all day" t-shirt. :roll:

jrannis

ITO said:
I had a guy that drank a lot, but he only drank on his time and he did good work so I kept my mouth shut. He got hurt on the job one day and the GC insisted on a drug and alcohol test. This guy drank so much that even at 12pm the day after he still had alcohol in is blood. My insurance would not cover the accident and the GC demanded he be removed from the job.

The rules have changed...

He still works for me BTW. I should fire him, but he does not miss work, is never late, and does good work. It's a huge risk, but he has worked the company for many years and I just cant bring my self to do it.

Sorry, now that you know about it, its your problem. You are lucky that he was the only one involved in the "accident". If he would have injured someone else, any lawyer would cast a wide net that would include you.
If you love him that much, get him some help with it. Might be the best money you ever spent.

jrannis

emahler said:
little background.....service oriented company, this incident occurs prior to a 4 hr project, not a long term project..

have to be at a customers facility at 7am....they are approx 45 min from our shop. tell the mechanic and apprentice to be at the shop at 6am...both live within 10min of shop (and yes, travel is paid)

mechanic is there for 6am...no apprentice...6:15 mechanic calls apprenice, no answer..mechanic leaves...at 6:30, the apprentice calls back, he overslept...

now, what would you do?

work can get done without apprentice....

Work him two hours in the shop cleaning up, (equal to show up time pay) see if anybody else needed him that day, if not, send him home.

Simple job urgency:
A- you just gotta be there on time (shut down, etc.)
B- job is supervised either by owner or GC (if you are late or going to be late call me)
C- Busy work (whatever you can afford to take off)

Sounds like you had a "B" type job going on.

I brief my offenders on the type of job, (if you know your poison and dont want to risk hiring)

iaov

emahler said:
99 percent of the time i don't care if they are 5-10 mins late...but at that hour, with where we had to go......15 mins is the difference between a 40 min ride and a 90 min ride due to traffic.
It is just as easy to be 5-10 minutes early as it is to be 5-10 minutes late and it says a lot about ones attitude towards responsabilities IMHO.

Status
Not open for further replies.