Votes: 4 100.0%
  • closed

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

stickboy1375

geezer said:
This most likely has been discussed before, but since it has come up in this thread and is related, I will ask. A couple of posts have mentioned using a 15A circuit for a microwave/vent hood unit. I have seen many of these units with 12.5A ratings. Would the branch circuit load limitations of 210.23 prohibit this cord connected, fastened in place appliance from being on a 15A circuit? (Code reference is from 2002 NEC)

Depends on if its a IBC (individual branch circuit) or a branch circuit suppling two or more outlets.

ItsHot

new meaning!

new meaning!

Minuteman said:
Come on, that's a lot to ask for. At best, we have had maybe 5 non idiots in our whole history as a nation. One might even say that the top 3 running now are all poised for idiot status. At the very least, for now - in the opinion of somebody of the opposite party. :grin:
The ones running now will give new meaning to "idiots", and over shadow all the clowns from the past!

Minuteman

I'm not a #14 hater or #12 lover. I really don't care. However, local code does. I have made some comments relative to how we install only #12 in residential - in most communities here.

My arguments about the #12 are not in defence of #12 being superior to #14, only that I can install #12 in a typical 1500 - 3000 ft/2 home for about the same costs as one can using both #14 & #12.

As far as backstabbing goes. I didn't like it when devices had #12 holes. I don't like it now.

bikeindy

Minuteman said:
I'm not a #14 hater or #12 lover. I really don't care. However, local code does. I have made some comments relative to how we install only #12 in residential - in most communities here.

My arguments about the #12 are not in defence of #12 being superior to #14, only that I can install #12 in a typical 1500 - 3000 ft/2 home for about the same costs as one can using both #14 & #12.

As far as backstabbing goes. I didn't like it when devices had #12 holes. I don't like it now.

Ok so I agree that the cost for mateials will be close to the same. here is how I see the outcome if you are to keep material cost the same.

A home has lets say 60 general purpose receptacles and a guy running #14 will use 6 circuits to supply them. To keep the cost the same in #12 you will have to use lets say 4 circuits for the same 60 receptacles. who has supplied the homeowner with more power?

the guy who ran 6 15 Amp receptacles supplied 90 Amps of power the guy who ran #12 supplied 80 Amps of power. I don't care about backstab or not you can wrap #14 wire it doesn't need to be stabbed.

This has been my point and if you really sit down and draw it out you can supply a homeowner with a better design and more power for the same price if you use #14 wire. It is MHO that people who live in areas that don't allow #14 to be run, need to step up and get it changed.

Last edited:

mivey

missing math

missing math

bikeindy said:
...a guy running #14 will use 6 circuits to supply them. To keep the cost the same in #12 you will have to use lets say 4 circuits...
Isn't there some math missing? What about the cost of 2 more breakers, extra wire needed for the 2 extra home home runs, labor for two more home runs + hookup, more panel space (break panel cost into a $/space value)?

Minuteman

mivey said:
Isn't there some math missing? What about the cost of 2 more breakers, extra wire needed for the 2 extra home home runs, labor for two more home runs + hookup, more panel space (break panel cost into a $/space value)?
And, in the example given in posts 52 & 56 you will see that there was a 4 circuit difference between using 14 & 12, verses 12 only.

bikeindy

mivey said:

do you want me to do all the math for you? I'm trying to keep it simple. but I will continue. Lets say that running the 4 homeruns and 60 receptacles used 1000' of #12. thats $276.00 today here in Indy. so it is the same in wire for the 60 receptacles and 4 home runs in #14 give or take a few feet thats $168.00 I think the cost of 2 more breakers, extra wire needed for the 2 extra home home runs, labor for two more home runs + hookup, more panel space might be $108.00 but not likely. Panel space? give me a break a 30/40 panel is $125 a 40/40 is $132.50 ou save by not buying tandems with the 40/40 so you more than make up the $7.50. But you will save on labor when you run the #14 due to the difference in difficulty of handling it.

Don't you get it yet I provided more power at less cost or even the same cost but I PROVIDED MORE POWER with #14.

bikeindy

Minuteman said:
And, in the example given in posts 52 & 56 you will see that there was a 4 circuit difference between using 14 & 12, verses 12 only.

That was for the whole house my example is just the general purpose receptacles. If you want to get into lights I win in the power department there as well, But it is lighting do you need more power?

Minuteman

bikeindy said:
That was for the whole house my example is just the general purpose receptacles. If you want to get into lights I win in the power department there as well, But it is lighting do you need more power?
Total for the 14/12 = 285. Total for the 12 only = 260. But, that's okay, should the HO need MORE POWER... I would be glad to add additional #12 - for a respectable price. :grin:

bikeindy

Minuteman said:
Total for the 14/12 = 285. Total for the 12 only = 260. But, that's okay, should the HO need MORE POWER... I would be glad to add additional #12 - for a respectable price. :grin:

You see my point then, add your extra circuit and still fall 5 amps short. so for the ones who are #12 lovers and not forced to do it like you they have no arguement.:grin:

wireman71

What's "better" aside.. You can make up and trim #14 faster. Using stab back receps and switches you can cut serious time off a install as compared to using #12. Box fill allows you more #14 in the same box meaning you don't have to upsize and spend more on boxes. For properly designed systems I think #14 works just fine.

quogueelectric

wireman71 said:
What's "better" aside.. You can make up and trim #14 faster. Using stab back receps and switches you can cut serious time off a install as compared to using #12. Box fill allows you more #14 in the same box meaning you don't have to upsize and spend more on boxes. For properly designed systems I think #14 works just fine.
You guys just dont get it 12 runs cooler and has much more ampacity for a negligable price. Never have to worry about it pushing designs to the max is what you are preaching look at the space shuttle. One bad O ring and Kaboom I always use deep boxes anyway. Why do you feel the need to convert us 12 lovers anyway?? I think we should call Dr Phil. Let go of your anger. BTW a good commercial guy will install 12 just as fast as 14. Book on recepticle installations is .2 hrs which is 12 min give ME a break if I cant install and trim a rec in 12 min I will just burn my license.

Last edited:

mivey

bikeindy said:
do you want me to do all the math for you?
Yes please. I'm feeling lazy.:grin: Would you guess an extra 1.5-1.75 labor hours for the extra runs & hook-up? I'm guessing the panel space is worth 40 feet of #14? Panel space is like real estate, it has value. Let the 2 AFCI's be around $30 each. Guess an extra 50 feet of #14 at say another $9.50. That comes out to about 40% more than what you calculated

bikeindy said:
...But you will save on labor when you run the #14 due to the difference in difficulty of handling it.
I'll give you $15 for that. It's not that big of a difference (0.004 labor hours per LF).

bikeindy said:
Don't you get it yet I provided more power at less cost or even the same cost but I PROVIDED MORE POWER with #14.
It looks like more power at more cost to me ($135 more). The #12 guy can also handle larger single loads.

[edit: typo]

Last edited:

Chamuit

Grumpy Old Man
Occupation
Electrician
Are we talking application or preference?

Are we talking application or preference?

Howdy Folks!

Seems to me that a lot of the talk seems to personal preference rather than perhaps application. #14 is there for a reason. I believe the whole idea (of branch circuits really) is to limit the number of openings (or load) on a circuit so that when the breaker trips the whole house doesn't go out. Or, when you have to service an outlet or switch, the whole house doesn't have to be turned off.

I'm sure a lot of you, like myself, walk through and talk through an electrical job with your customer. Because you want to make a proper and adequate application of wiring for their needs.

Side note: People keep mentioning the extra labor to pull A home run. Don't y'all pull more than one at a time.:D

That's my two cents. I'll give you change is that's too much:roll:

mivey

wireman71 said:
...Using stab back receps and switches you can cut serious time off a install as compared to using #12...
Can't argue with that. I just refuse to use the back stabbers. I wouldn't use them in my own home and I will not use them in anyone else's. I just don't feel safe with them. Maybe just being paranoid but I sleep better.

mivey

Chamuit said:
Howdy Folks!
Howdy
Chamuit said:
...I believe the whole idea (of branch circuits really) is to limit the number of openings (or load) on a circuit so that when the breaker trips the whole house doesn't go out. Or, when you have to service an outlet or switch, the whole house doesn't have to be turned off...
I see this as pretty much a non-issue in a residential setting. Also, I would never lay things out so "the whole house goes out"
Chamuit said:
Side note: People keep mentioning the extra labor to pull A home run. Don't y'all pull more than one at a time
I'm not going to admit that because it would not help my argument:grin:

[edit: I've tried the new two-bladed screwdriver that allows me to hook up two breakers at once but I just can't figure it out:grin:]

Last edited:

Chamuit

Grumpy Old Man
Occupation
Electrician
Originally Posted by mivey

[edit: I've tried the new two-bladed screwdriver that allows me to hook up two breakers at once but I just can't figure it out]

LMAO

Originally Posted by Chamuit
...I believe the whole idea (of branch circuits really) is to limit the number of openings (or load) on a circuit so that when the breaker trips the whole house doesn't go out. Or, when you have to service an outlet or switch, the whole house doesn't have to be turned off...

Originally Posted by mivey
I see this as pretty much a non-issue in a residential setting. Also, I would never lay things out so "the whole house goes out"

I guess what I am trying to say is that "lighter" 15amp circuits means that you limit the amount of openings affected when there is a problem.

mivey

Chamuit said:
I guess what I am trying to say is that "lighter" 15amp circuits means that you limit the amount of openings affected when there is a problem.
I still don't see the problem in a residential setting.

Status
Not open for further replies.