Going to Waco this week end mr electric

Status
Not open for further replies.

bradleyelectric

what is? not living at near poverty levels?

I think either that, the fact that they are retired with benefits from previous employers, have spouses that work outside the business to pay bills and provide benefits, work for paycheck wages and figure they don't have to answer to anyone, or feel they aren't worth any more.

I've heard some ask for advice as to what they should be charging to turn right around and say they had a retirement coming in and was just trying to show a son in law how to run a business not rip people off.

emahler

I think either that, the fact that they are retired with benefits from previous employers, have spouses that work outside the business to pay bills and provide benefits, work for paycheck wages and figure they don't have to answer to anyone, or feel they aren't worth any more.

I've heard some ask for advice as to what they should be charging to turn right around and say they had a retirement coming in and was just trying to show a son in law how to run a business not rip people off.

if guys know the facts, and choose to live that way...fine...but when that's all they think they can do, and argue that case, then there is a problem...

i guess being educated and ignorant is better than just being ignorant...

MJW

I can answer any questions you may have. I am a former franchisee.

Just a couple of questions
1) What was your overall experience?
2) Why are you a former franchisee?
3) How difficult was it to get out of the franchise?

I'm sorry that I am only now seeing this thread. But I hope you at least went to Waco and checked them out for yourself. If you didn't at least check them out, you might kick yourself later. Please note that I didn't say you should join. I just said you should check them out.

As for the idea that Mr. Electric operators are way over-priced, I would take those comments with a grain of salt. There are way too many "slugs" in the industry and on these boards. They have no clue how to run a business and think they are really cleaning up when they aren't. If you do only service work and you have employees doing that service work; you'll eventually find out just how expensive it is to offer service work to your customers. The alternative to to pay your guys crap and for them to do crap work, which is way too common.

As for the Mr. Electric system, it has some good points and some bad points. Do I think you get enough good points to offset the fees, no. There are much better options than giving all of your money to the big boys in Waco. I think they learned too much from Ms. Reno when she visited that fine city some time back.

After trying to "make money" providing service work on our own, we joined a group called the Nexstar Network in 2006. Their coaches really helped to wake us up to the true cost of providing quality service work to customers.

Also note that if you aren't willing to cut corners, you'll cost more than others period.

I did a few estimates behind Mr. Electric before he had to close down. No, I wasn't cheaper. In fact I was triple on one. But then again I was running five new circuits to the basement for all of the stuff he said he wanted to run rather than just hook up to the two existing circuits that were there. But I digress.

I do think you need to take a long and hard look at joining a best practices group. Before you make any decision, call Nexstar at 888-609-5490 and ask to speak to Lisa McNeil or Rich Piepenburg. You may use my name (Matt Hermanson) when you call them and you may ask them for my phone number as well. I'll tell you what I like and what I don't like.

The cracks about paying $5,000 for a van wrap job are yet another example of folks that don't really have a clue. We have not taken the truck wrap plunge yet. You'll pay less than $5K if you're having several trucks done. Most of the Nexstar members that have done the wraps can track way more business to having the wraps than the wraps cost. That is counting profit, not gross billings. And they know because they ask how/why the customer got their phone numbers, etc. And then they track all of that so they can tell you how much business is coming from where. The wraps are coming for us, we just want to use our budget for some other things first. Nexstar really preaches tracking things. If you can't track it, you can't manage it.

Do I think Nexstar is the end all. NO.

But give them a serious look. Yes, you'll write a BIG check to join, but that's life. You can also go to their web site www.nexstarnetwork.com and look for members in your area. Call them up and ask them what they like and what they don't like about Nexstar.

If you don't like my tone, take a number. There are plenty of members in Nexstar that don't like my tone either. Oh well, get a life.

But even if you were to join Nexstar or something like them, don't stop there. We also try to learn from many others. Go to Hudson Ink, Contractor Selling, Ellen Rohr and many others.

Be a student, not a slug.

Belated wishes for a Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to everyone.

Matthew Hermanson

peter d

You can also go to their web site www.nexstarnetwork.com and look for members in your area. Call them up and ask them what they like and what they don't like about Nexstar.

I did just that, and I noticed that all of the Nexstar contractors in my area are plumbing and mechanical contractors. That tells me a lot. It doesn't tell me anything new - it just confirms what I already know to be true about the way many EC's think. It also tells me there is a big untapped market for EC's to join a "best practices" group in my area.

khixxx

I did just that, and I noticed that all of the Nexstar contractors in my area are plumbing and mechanical contractors. That tells me a lot. It doesn't tell me anything new - it just confirms what I already know to be true about the way many EC's think. It also tells me there is a big untapped market for EC's to join a "best practices" group in my area.

It could be. If I remember right they only will allow so many companies in an area. say 2 guys for every 150k population. You can get voted in. This means if an HVAC and a Plumber are in your area then you can't use them for EC unless they vote you in or the population is a certain amount. This is just something to ask when or if someone talks to reps. It's been years sense I talked to them so my memory could be off.

Status
Not open for further replies.