Going to Waco this week end mr electric

Status
Not open for further replies.

nafis

I have been looking into Mr. electric lately. I am going to meet with the big boys at the head quarter this Saturday 12/6 however I am posting to see if you guys have advice for me on what to ask. I have quit few questions to ask them but I would like to hear your point of view on what to ask as well. For those who looked into the company or had experienced I greatly appreciated if you can PM me and tell me what is your opinions .

I really appreciate your help

nafis

i have those threads printed and i handed to 3 different people to evalute the business according to our responds . just to get diffrent point of veiw from different people

thanks

masterinbama

I love Mr. Electric. When I price a job,let's say a service change. If the customer thinks I am too high I hand them a Mr.Electric card and tell them to get another price. When you have to lay out more than $5000 just to wrap a van to their standards and that doesnt count the ladder racks and interior bins. Then turn around and hand them 6 to 10% of gross it is ridiculous to me. I would rather hand 10% to a good marketing rep who has no say in how I do business.

bjp_ne_elec

From what I've read, I'm with Masterinbama. The only thing you'll get from them for that 10% is some advertising (but I see these trucks around but actually thinking about it, haven't seen any advertising in papers, flyers, etc) - but knocking on doors and selling yourself is free - you just have to do it. I get the feeling guys go for these franchise deals when they're down in desperation - but I don't think it will help. It's not like a Subway franchise where is carries some weight - franchises like this are known by people - and when you go in a Subway you know you're going to get the same sandwich in CO as you do in MA. With an electrical franchise I feel the name doesn't carry that much weight - it's really the reputation that the owner earns and works hard for - along with his help. My opinion.

electricmanscott

Every once in a while I ask people if they have ever heard of Mr Electric. The answer is ALWAYS no. That's all I need to know about them.
Save your money, invest in yourself.

guschash

I wonder how many guys on this forum work for one of the chain companies. Some sound like they directly for the main company.

emahler

especially when you can come here and ask the same questions, that they answer, for free?

check your PM nafis...

bradleyelectric

Does anyone know if they provide an organization chart? A procedures manual? Office software? Business and Marketing plan? Employee manual? I don't know the answers to these questions. If they provide these things that is what you are paying for the use of. You may be able to buy these things outright for less.

Does anyone here use these things?

Last edited:

emahler

Does anyone know if they provide an organization chart? A procedures manual? Office software? Business and Marketing plan? Employee manual? I don't know the answers to these questions. If they provide these things that is what you are paying for the use of. You may be able to buy these things outright for less.

Does anyone here use these things?

yes...to all

aline

but knocking on doors and selling yourself is free - you just have to do it.
Knocking on doors and selling yourself takes time.
Time that could be spent earning a paycheck.

I disagree that it's free.
Your time is the most valuable thing you own.
You only have so much of it and when it's gone you can't get it back.

I'm not saying don't go knock on doors and sell yourself.
I'm just saying I wouldn't consider it free.

Everything has its price. :)

khixxx

I went to Waco about 2-3 years ago. It was worth the trip but I was expecting more. It seems the model will work best for new companies or larger companies looking to branch out. After consulting with another much larger company in my area that was at the same meeting I opted out and so did he. The contract is very one sided IMO. I honestly was disappointed in the trip.

My conclusion was if I was going to continue working as a business I would drop $50k for a van supplies and a consultant such as Nextstar.

macmikeman

The Mr. Electric in my town has tv commercials shown throughout the day. I have not met the proprietors, but it appears to me that they have had astounding growth in the few short years they have operated in the area. I have come across flyers and newspaper ads they put out also. They are so slick in appearance that they are light years out in front of anybody else in that department also. They have impresssed me, and that is no small feat since I am the master of cynic. I've never been to Waco myself, but maybe the trip might just be a good thing for you.:wink:

satcom

The Mr. Electric in my town has tv commercials shown throughout the day. I have not met the proprietors, but it appears to me that they have had astounding growth in the few short years they have operated in the area. I have come across flyers and newspaper ads they put out also. They are so slick in appearance that they are light years out in front of anybody else in that department also. They have impresssed me, and that is no small feat since I am the master of cynic. I've never been to Waco myself, but maybe the trip might just be a good thing for you.:wink:

With the ad's and their up scale pricing, they end up eating all the small guys lunch, in my area alone the flat rate guys have not only got the lions share of work, they are still hiring and growing even in this recession period, we had about 14 to 17 small one man operations in and around town, now we are down to 3 or 4 small one or 2 man shops. It seems giving the customer up front pricing for everything, is the fastest way to grow the business, the T&M guys come and go, but these mass market guys just seem to do very well, the trip to waco may be worth the time to at least see what they have to offer.

You pay a lot of money in Franchising Fees, you have to meet a ton of requirements and they basically hand you your pricing, you add your 'profit' and material mark-ups and out prints a dandy binder.... Prices are outrageous then again it could've been the guy I was working for who owned it. Good luck, I don't recommend it but then again different strokes for different folks.

emahler

You pay a lot of money in Franchising Fees, you have to meet a ton of requirements and they basically hand you your pricing, you add your 'profit' and material mark-ups and out prints a dandy binder.... Prices are outrageous then again it could've been the guy I was working for who owned it. Good luck, I don't recommend it but then again different strokes for different folks.

define outrageous.....their pricing is based on true costs...

Status
Not open for further replies.