Going to Waco this week end mr electric

Status
Not open for further replies.

bradleyelectric

genius, i know that there are a million differnet ways to run a business..a guy made a comment, and i said that he was right- based on my experience

no problem. I'm not offended. Maybe I'm offensive. I'm just commenting in the discussion also.

I originally entered this discussion when someone asked about a fanchise and some people commented that they provide some advertising at a steep fee. Based on my knowledge of current trends in franchises and experiences with what some offer I commented that they may offer a great deal more than that. Also that there were other ways to gain what they offer.

NolaTigaBait

no problem. I'm not offended. Maybe I'm offensive. I'm just commenting in the discussion also.

I originally entered this discussion when someone asked about a fanchise and some people commented that they provide some advertising at a steep fee. Based on my knowledge of current trends in franchises and experiences with what some offer I commented that they may offer a great deal more than that. Also that there were other ways to gain what they offer.[/QUOTE

full respeck

cadpoint

Right on the the US Dollor Bill it states ... "for debts, both public and private", my point being,
you'll have the right (by paying) to be in the public eye!

I happened to get my hands on a price sheet from Wirenut.

2007 price for a 200A panel upgrade is $2196...
I charge around $1300 for the same thing.

Most companies around town are charging $1300 - $1500...

I can make a decent profit on $1300... but, If I can start charging more, I want to know how...

Look, I think $2100 is too much to charge, but Wirenut has a high overhead... I don't have such a big overhead. If I can charge $1500-$1700, I would be very happy... I just want to know how they can do these changes every day for such a high rate... and keep getting customers.

Last edited:

bradleyelectric

Look, I think $2100 is too much to charge, but Wirenut has a high overhead... I don't have such a big overhead. If I can charge $1500-$1700, I would be very happy... I just want to know how they can do these changes every day for such a high rate... and keep getting customers.

Be very personable. From the time the person contacts you they are your customer. They are also your friend. You know it and believe it and treat them as that. When you go and see the job you tell them how much it costs. It costs $2250. It is not to much to charge.

It's not like you are going to be able to move into the biggest house in town because this customer is going to pay you $2250 for this service. It is just what you need to do this job and work towards your goals. Treat the job as it is a $2250. job, and treat the person as if they are important. Have confidence in both.

Now how can I get a copy of that price sheet?

jrannis

Another thing. Don't buy nice trucks with nice graphics. Don't spend money on nice advertising & marketing. If you do, you'll have to overcharge your customers to pay for it.

You need to be driving around in beat up old rust buckets with magnetic signs stuck to the side. Limit your advertising to business cards you print yourself and the only marketing you need is word of mouth.

I don't buy anything I see advertised on TV. How do you think these companies pay for those expensive TV ads? They pay for them with their outrageous prices and by overcharging me.

I really dont know how to take this one.
Are you giving advice on how to succeed or how to fail?

cadpoint

"you'll have the right (by paying) to be in the public eye!"

You'll have the right to Franchise for them in public(by paying them in private with Dollor Bills)
((you form an agreement in Private that you will pay for in Private that will be payed in dollor bills))

Is that Clear enough ?

They tell you how you should be running your business(from their prospective).
They will teach or supply all the information that you might or might not be lacking as an E.C.

The price is usually around tha salary of a P.T. employee per year, based on what I've heard on the street...
Thats just the Price to franchise, that doesn't include and Bells or whisltes!

Painted trucks, shirt with Logo's, are all payed for by you - By your private debit

Last edited:

jrannis

I happened to get my hands on a price sheet from Wirenut.

2007 price for a 200A panel upgrade is $2196...
I charge around $1300 for the same thing.

Most companies around town are charging $1300 - $1500...

I can make a decent profit on $1300... but, If I can start charging more, I want to know how...

Greg,
You might need to decide what kind of margin you need to stay in business.
You may be only making enough to get by with pricing like that.
If your supplies are $600 for that job and you do all the work yourself, and you like to be paid $25 per hour with your burden is going to be something like $35 per hour. Truck $8 per hour.
What do you need to survive? 40% ? (It isnt less than that, believe me)

600 Material
280 Labor 8 hours at $25 plus $10 Burden
64 Truck
944 Total

$1,573.00 selling price @ 40%

You are basiclly in business for yourself working for $25 per hour. If you can get 40 hours a week. You are doing like 50k a year. Nice hobby!

Should you be making 100k a year?
Do the math at $50 per hour.

600 Material
520 Labor 8 hours at $50 plus $10 burden
64 Truck
1184 Total

$1,973.00 selling price @ 40%

IMHO, If you can get by on $50k a year, you are doing just fine

JohnME

As someone who wants to begin their own business, I wonder if this is the way to go? It is all about marketing yourself of course, but I wonder if its worth it to join with these guys.

I suppose it all depends on the percentage of the business I would be able to take home.

peter d

that maybe true but if I want a day off to play golf or go to the ball game I dont have to ask anyone

I understand that some people enjoy being their own boss and there is nothing wrong with that. :)

But I cannot understand why someone would take on all the risk, liability, headaches and paperwork that come with electrical contracting only to make $50K a year. :confused: It does not seem worth it to me. You can easily make that or much more working for someone else and not have to deal with the aforementioned issues.

ctmike

Ive thought about working for some else and have had some good offers.but as i contractor friend of mine pointed out im not house broken anymore. for me fredom is worth a lot

Status
Not open for further replies.