Going to Waco this week end mr electric

Status
Not open for further replies.

khixxx

I had no problem with my reimbursement. I think the guy that helped me get out there was Marlin, I don't think he is still with the company. Nice guy, took me to lunch and even told me to take my name tag off before we went in to the steakhouse.

Food for thought. If you invested $50k that made you an extra $5k a year is that good? Well it's not great but that's a 10% ROI. The biggest invention in history is compound interest.

mdshunk

I have found simply buying a "system" outright from ESI or Nexstar to be more valuable than paying franchise fees on a regular basis to companies like Mr. E or Mr. S. I have developed the opinion that the franchises are best suited for guys who operate in more densely populated areas, and "systems" will work for pretty much everyone. Tuition is expensive. If it costs you 50K to learn a few lessons, so be it. Education never killed anyone.

peter d

for many EC, it's throwing money down the drain...

the myopic view of electrical contractors is frightening...we are trapped in 4x4 junction boxes and can't see beyond the walls...

Those EC's just fill the revolving door of EC's that come and go. Those that don't fold up just stay as one man operations working for a paycheck.

Those that make the investment in a system or marketing philosophy thrive from what I've observed.

mdshunk

Those that make the investment in a system or marketing philosophy thrive from what I've observed.
I'm glad you said "marketing philosophy" as well, since a successful system may also be none of the systems we've talked about so far. Any system, be it one of your own design, perhaps coupled with the ideas of others, or even a store-bought system can be successful. Give the customer what they want, and make a profit doing it. By whatever means you make those two things happen, you're a success.

peter d

I'm glad you said "marketing philosophy" as well, since a successful system may also be none of the systems we've talked about so far. Any system, be it one of your own design, perhaps coupled with the ideas of others, or even a store-bought system can be successful. Give the customer what they want, and make a profit doing it. By whatever means you make those two things happen, you're a success.

Yes, you don't have to buy one from ESI by any means. If you think long enough and get just a tad bit creative you can easily come up with a way to market yourself.

For instance, what are people so crazy about these days? Being green and energy efficiency. Think a little bit and you should be able to come up with at least five different services you can offer for energy efficiency upgrades.

mdshunk

For instance, what are people so crazy about these days? Being green and energy efficiency. Think a little bit and you should be able to come up with at least five different services you can offer for energy efficiency upgrades.
Yes, but you need to go beyond that. Much of the "system" you get from these guys is the administrative how-to's . All of us can do work. Some of us can get work. Fewer can administrate all that in a seamless and painless way, a way that follows an assembly-line like "system". Until a business is "systematized", you're not operating at peak efficiency. A comprehensive procedures manual, if you will.

peter d

Yes, but you need to go beyond that. Much of the "system" you get from these guys is the administrative how-to's . All of us can do work. Some of us can get work. Fewer can administrate all that in a seamless and painless way, a way that follows an assembly-line like "system". Until a business is "systematized", you're not operating at peak efficiency. A comprehensive procedures manual, if you will.

Well yes, I was just throwing marketing ideas out there. You're now talking about the whole model that a company like ESI or Nexstar offers, right?

The above statement is probably the most important reason so many small ECs fail in my area. They were electricians working for someone else, and had little if any business education/skills.

satcom

The above statement is probably the most important reason so many small ECs fail in my area. They were electricians working for someone else, and had little if any business education/skills.

And most tend to let emotions guide the pricing, something a system will not allow you to do, just think how many guys spend their lifetime working at what they think is a business, only to descover at the end, they have no assets, no retirement, and most likely no medical either. A well run business, should provide the operator with an above avarage salary, and benifits, and a study asset build, so in the end they have something with value. Only a small number of EC's can say they have anything of value in their business when they are ready to sell or retire, but many other trades seem to excell when it comes to the business end, might it be we need to learn the business practices to success?

emahler

exactly...and there are 2 main ways to get this education....pay someone to teach you or learn by the school of hard knocks...l'll let you guess which one costs more in the long run

mdshunk

Let's not go there. It only stirs up bad emotion and makes people tell you there is more than 1 way to run a business.
Actually, there is more than one way. Some people are happy and content with just paying the bills and having a little bit left over. Farbeit for me to say that's wrong. Doesn't really suit me, but it may well suit others.

aline

Let's not go there. It only stirs up bad emotion and makes people tell you there is more than 1 way to run a business.
There are many ways to run a business.

If I live in California and want to visit Florida there are many ways for me to get there as well.

I can fly.
I can drive a car.
I can ride a bike.
I can walk.

All methods will get you there.
Which one is best?
That depends on your personal goals.
How fast do you want to get there?
Would you prefer to go slow and take in the scenery?
Which one is the most economical?
What kind of condition are you in?
Will you even live long enough to reach your destination?

If your not in good condition and don't have long to live walking might not be your best option. :) You also may be too tired to enjoy yourself once you get there.

satcom

There are ,many ways to run a business, but only a few that will result in growing assets and better earnings.

The beauty of this great land is, you can pick your path, and do it your way! I really don't care if someone chooses to live in a box, under a freeway, or in a mansion, but I do believe they should all have the free choice to choose.

emahler

Actually, there is more than one way. Some people are happy and content with just paying the bills and having a little bit left over. Farbeit for me to say that's wrong. Doesn't really suit me, but it may well suit others.

these people are only happy because they don't know any better...if they could have the same financial situation with only working 3 days a week instead of 5 or 6, who would say 'no, i want to work more for less'?

bradleyelectric

these people are only happy because they don't know any better...if they could have the same financial situation with only working 3 days a week instead of 5 or 6, who would say 'no, i want to work more for less'?

People have written here that is dishonest, hiding something and ripping people off.

Status
Not open for further replies.