Harmless practical jokes?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ArcNSpark

I hope this thread gets off the ground. I don't want to get anyone in trouble, but I know that we have all been on both ends of some good jokes.

During my first year in the trade, on a fire alarm job, the journeyman I was working under sent me into the supply house, "to get some red foursquare covers." Naturally, I ran full speed inside and made my request. The counter guy didn't bat an eye and told me that they didn't have any red covers but could sell me "a Krylon adapter kit."

It sounded expensive to me so I ran back to the van, and the journeyman said that it was important, so I'd better get it.

Of course it was a can of red spray paint. Redder than my face.

I'm SURE that you guys can top this, and I'm SO looking forward to hearing about it.

Rampage_Rick

Last April Fools I got away with a couple of good ones, this was my favorite:

Went into the bosses office and covered EVERY piece of office equipment with aluminum foil. Took my time doing it too, the foil was carefully massaged into place to take on the texture of whatever it was covering. As I recall I got his computer, monitor, keyboard, mouse, printer, phone, stapler, paperclip holder, calculator and paper shredder.

Mikes-office.jpg

Oh and I also parked a golf cart in our restaurant (the technical details of which were rather intricate, and it wasn't through those handy doors in the background)

SSPX0124e.jpg

Last edited:

e57

I have had occassion to send people for ID-10-T forms. In fact I nailed a GC Foreman on that last week - sent him to the Site Super looking for a detail section..... IDIOT!

Lcdrwalker

Back in the old days of POTS we had a foreman who spent most of the day talking on the phone. We also had some waterproof grease that we used on washdown motors. To this day I will not say how that grease wound up on the earpiece. At quitting time that day he had rubbed it so much that he had it smeared all over the side of his head. There were still traces of it the next day.:grin:

480sparky

Take one of those really big, long zipties the tinners use. Wrap it around someone's driveshaft, and cut it off so the end is sufficiantly long enough to hit the exhaust.

I have a few 'rules' about practical jokes:

1. They must be safe. Don't take the battery out of someones VoltPen.
2. They must be done quickly, or off company time. I ain't paying for your shenanigans.
3. They must not destroy anything. If it costs money in the end, don't.
4. Above all, they must be original. If it's been done to you, it's off-limits from then on. It's just no fun when someone retaliates with the same thing.

Last edited:

iwire

Staff member
Take one of those really big, long zipties the tinners use. Wrap it around someone's driveshaft, and cut it off so the end is sufficiantly long enough to hit the exhaust.

Done that a few times.:D

I strongly suggest placing the tie wrap near a u-joint and not in the middle of one of todays 'beer can metal' drive shafts.

Drive shafts spin roughly engine RPM in top gear, faster in overdrive, a good sized tie wrap would place it severely out of balance and I think it could damage the drive shaft.

aftershock

I heard of one instance where one worker emptied another worker's carry all bag, then nailed a couple of short 2x4's into the bottom of the bag and into the floor underneath, then place all items back into the bag.

iwire

Staff member
What do you drive? :D

Chevy Suburban and a GMC Duromax diesel Van.

Some coworkers of mine grabbed a whole fish that was already past date and used some copper to tie it onto the catalytic converter of one of the other guys trucks. He drove most of the way from New York to Boston before figuring out the awful stench was his own truck and by that time it was very baked onto the converter heat shield.:D

ultramegabob

Chevy Suburban and a GMC Duromax diesel Van.

Some coworkers of mine grabbed a whole fish that was already past date and used some copper to tie it onto the catalytic converter of one of the other guys trucks. He drove most of the way from New York to Boston before figuring out the awful stench was his own truck and by that time it was very baked onto the converter heat shield.:D

thats a good one! :D

prh1700

Dumped a bottle of blue carpenters chalk into the drivers side defrost vent and turned the defrosterr on high in one of my co-workers service truck. He is still called "Papa Smurf" to this day. By the way, the whole interior was done in work truck vinyl, so no carpet or cloth seats to ruin.

Brady Electric

Harmless practical jokes

Harmless practical jokes

This shows how old I am.
When I started everyone use the go get the wire stretcher out of the truck, or go to the supply house and get a bucket of watts.
I always thought these were dumb but you would be surprise how many fell for it.
A few years ago I was climbed a pole with my grafts and was working on a power supply. While I was working someone ran a big staple in my safety strap and when I went to climb down I couldn't. Now that was a good one.
My son was on the ground and saw the hole thing but didn't give it away.
Semper Fi Buddy

norcal

My rule is, don't screw w/ someones vehicle the long ty-wraps on the drive line do work but it's off limits.:D

A former boss' VW bug was filled to the roof w/ styrofoam packaging peanuts, they were still falling out of nooks & crannies years later.... (BTW I had nothing to do w/it happened before starting there).

A practical joke I always wanted to do but won't, get a gasoline dispensing pump set it near the street power it & plumb it to water, if one is honest there will be no problems but those who think they are going to get something for nothing........

zog

Last time I was out of town on a job I parked my car in the shop cause we were supposed to get some bad storms w/ possible hail, got back at 10PM to find this.....

yankj

the wire stretcher one still works. One pulled on me-- put lead weight in my carpenter nail side pouch " Why does this pouch feel so heavy today?" One in retaliation I did - open a small can of cat food and slid it under a co-workers van seat - What a stink!

Red Wiggler

Wiring the horn to the brake pedal of the Foreman's truck is good for a few laughs. He gets used to his emergency brake at stop lights.

Status
Not open for further replies.