Harmless practical jokes?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jim W in Tampa

Was at supply house one morning and manager asked me if not in a hurry would i let his new guy take the order. Told him i needed a plate cover 2 switches and a duplex receptacle. Took him few minutes but he found it. Told him i needed the receptacle on the right side not left side. About 10 minutes later he figured it out. He had not forgoten me 5 years later.

I do agree we must be carefull so no real harm comes from a joke.

wireman

Inactive, Email Never Verified
The JW's on one mall project took all the dead birds they found in the outside soffets ant tied them to a string like fish on a stringer and then to the back of the foreman's truck.

It looked pretty funny as he drove down the street on the way home.

360Youth

I was never one to think of the good elaborate jokes, just the little mess with your head deals, so this is fun reading. One of our guys sent a helper looking for fallopian tubes. It was all I could do to keep a straight face when he came and asked me where they were and what they looked like. I just told him "You'll know it when you see it."

It was. :D

It was retaliation. The guy that got 'fished' was involved earlier in the filling of the foreman's truck cab to the top with pumpkins.:D

A great movie.

cowboyjwc

Staff member
I wasn't there for this one, but one of the guy "A" took guy "B" tools and engraved his own name on them then called security to be on the look out for them. When guy "B" went to go home the guards pulled him aside and asked to check his tools........

kornbln

I hope this thread gets off the ground. I don't want to get anyone in trouble, but I know that we have all been on both ends of some good jokes.

During my first year in the trade, on a fire alarm job, the journeyman I was working under sent me into the supply house, "to get some red foursquare covers." Naturally, I ran full speed inside and made my request. The counter guy didn't bat an eye and told me that they didn't have any red covers but could sell me "a Krylon adapter kit."

It sounded expensive to me so I ran back to the van, and the journeyman said that it was important, so I'd better get it.

Of course it was a can of red spray paint. Redder than my face.

I'm SURE that you guys can top this, and I'm SO looking forward to hearing about it.

Was this before they started making this? http://www.hubbellcatalog.com/raco/raco_datasheet.asp?PN=911-8&FAM=RacoBoxes&P=12842,11447,10016 :D

Billy_Bob

If a contractor has magnetic signs on the side of his truck, turn them upside down.

Then I too have held hinges, combo switch/outlet plates, (or anything else which can be turned upside down and look wrong), the wrong way and said that we had the wrong part. "We need to get the right-hand sided part!"
Some guys get it quickly, others it takes awhile.

Then one time I was working with a friend on a project and we needed more caulking. His wife was there, so we asked her if she could go to the hardware store and get a tube of caulk. She said sure. Then she asked where it was in the store. I said just ask the guy at the front counter where he keeps his caulk. She came back with the caulk and a very RED face.

Last edited:
From an inspectors side. I was in the office doing paperwork. This one guy...water superintendent was always spitting his tobacco in everybodies trash can. I just hate that!!!

I told him that if he ever spit in my trash can I was going to sh!t on his desk!

Couple of weeks went by...had to dig something out of the trash...reached in and got a handfull of spit!.............

Called up the animal control officer and asked if he had any dogs at the pound that had the runs.......YEP! Got a big old German Shepard that is loading up the place!!

Bring me a sack full of it!!

He brought it to city hall....I put it on the sups desk..went on about my business.

Got a call later saying everybody was complaining about the smell in city hall!

I said just close the door!

Got back later and the sup had just came in with a salesman...I was coming down the hall when the sup opened his door!!!

Guess what???? He never spit in my trash can again!!!

I'll tell another one later in the thread about a new animal control officer and drug testing!!!

quogueelectric

Done that a few times.:D

I strongly suggest placing the tie wrap near a u-joint and not in the middle of one of todays 'beer can metal' drive shafts.

Drive shafts spin roughly engine RPM in top gear, faster in overdrive, a good sized tie wrap would place it severely out of balance and I think it could damage the drive shaft.

Overdrive is really called lockup where it is one to one with the driveshaft.

quogueelectric

When the ironworkers or fitters get too froggy I like to cover the inside of thier welding mask with neat pieces of black electrical tape. Especially after lunch they try to strike a bead and the screaming starts.:smile:

480sparky

Couple more I thought of today:

Take a handful of wire nuts and fill them halfway with tile grout. Let 'em dry, then drop them in someone's pouch.

if you're on a pipe & wire job, next time you pull wire, take a scrap of some odd color and push it up into the pipe at a box, leaving enough in the box to make it look like it belongs there. I've gotten several people with pushing a #12 blue into fire alarm system.

Most standard 3-way switches will completely turn of the circuit if left right in the middle. Neither traveller makes contact with the common......

If someone leaves their gloves laying around, stuff the fingers jam-packed full of stryofoam peanuts.

Another favorite: Every DeWalt cordless drill I've ever had makes a high-pitched whine if the trigger is pulled in ever so slightly. The chuck does not turn, but it makes the sound. Do that around plumbers when they air-pressure-test their water lines and are looking for leaks.

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
Overdrive is really called lockup where it is one to one with the driveshaft.
No, high gear is 1:1. That's when the input and output shafts are directly linked without using any other gears or shafts.

Overdrive is when the tailshaft spins faster than the input shaft.

If your transmission has five gears, and the top gear is 1:1, it's a 5-speed. If the fourth gear is 1:1, it's a 4-speed w/OD.

A new animal control officer had been working for around 8 to 9 months.
Now mind you this was before you had to take a drug test to get a job.

This joke took about 4 months to complete.

You could tell this guy was a pot smoker! Long hair, just had "the look!"

We started the whole thing by striking up a conversation within the office when he was around about the city starting to do random drug testing. You should have seen his eyes perk up when we started a conversation.

1st conversation something like this (there were four of us in on it).....Man I tested this AM. Really??? What did they do?....I had to take a urine test......

Next week the part time aco found a High Times magazine behind the seat with a page marked about how to beat a drug test. Something about peroxide and a band aid....We found peroxide and band aids in the truck!

2nd conversation....Man....they tested me today!!....Really what did they do to you???......Took blood....WOW!!!

3rd conversation......Dude! They tested me today and you ain't gonna believe what they did!!! What did they do man???....They took a strand of my hair and said they could test for drugs with a strand but it has to be at least 2 inches long!

The next morning the aco came in with his head shaved!!!!!! I kid you not!! We told him it was all BS and he really got po'ed. Said he was tired of his long hair anyway!!!

This was a classic!!!

quogueelectric

By the way, you may be referring to torque-converter lock-up, which usually occurs in 3rd and 4th gears in most 4-sp automatics.

This is what I am talking about the majority of auto transmisions are 3 speeds with an overdrive which locks up the converter not a 4th gear. I assumed automatic when overdrive was mentioned.

boyle78

We once tied this guy's tool bag 30 feet up in the air to a roof joist....that was the last time he was late back from lunch. I've tied the inside of the doors of the van or truck together with mule tape...I did this to my little brother just the other day! A my coworker just picked up some "liquid ass"...holy crap this stuff smell to all hell....I think we have a target in mind.
The daily messing with guys include changing the radio stations, heat to a/c (or visa/versa) and the mirrors are always there just doing nothing...anything that's quick and easy!

Last edited:

480sparky

So do any of you guys actually get any work done in a given day?

;)

How can we?.... we're always here at Mike's Funhouse.
emoticons_spot_party.gif

celtic

So do any of you guys actually get any work done in a given day?

;)

It's hard work coming up with pranks!

A little acetone [nail polish remover] applied to the hand piece [where it makes contact with the ] cradle is a fine "glue".
Ever see someone take an entire phone to the side of the head?:grin:

Back in the days of hubcaps....fill 'em up with 3/4 stone...music to my ears as you drive away.

Done the fish on the manifold thing.
Done the rat under the seat/truck saddle box

A "stink bomb" taped to any hinge is a personal favorite of mine....I didn't do it ~ you did it to yourself.

When feeding stranded wires through pipes...wrap a conductor around a tool/scrap of pipe to STOP the pull....go ask the guy who is pulling if there is a problem?

When someone is really "giving it their all" setting gear, pulling heavy conductors, etc....stand close to them with your hands in your pockets making all the appropriate faces/grunting noises...when they ask what you are doing ~ you say helping them make faces and noises.

Randomly yell at people walking by:
Hey!

Tell all the men, the foreman is looking for them.
Tell the foremen all the men are hiding.
...and a round a round they go.

SO..who's hiring? :D

Status
Not open for further replies.