I disagree with George

Status
Not open for further replies.
iwire said:
That is an issue you could bring up to Mike if you feel strongly about it..

From the posted forum rules...

Truthfully the Moderators do not really delete that much, more often items get moved out of sight that way they can be restored if the need arises.

I would rather discuss it with the moderators who are removing the posts, not with Mike who most likely has other more pressing issues.
What is so hard for a moderator to issue a PM with the removal of a post?

iwire

Staff member
Pierre C Belarge said:
What is so hard for a moderator to issue a PM with the removal of a post?

It's not hard, but often it is simply not needed.

You mentioned that if we have time to delete we have time to PM, well it takes me two or three clicks of the mouse to move / delete a single post or a whole thread.

Writing a PM to someone explaining what is often obvious takes much longer.

Now really....your post.....which you already told us you felt had a good chance of removal....what needed to be said in a PM that you where not already aware of? Honestly.....what would you have wanted George to have said to you in a PM?

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
Dennis Alwon said:
The last 4 or so posts should be deleted for being off topic. :grin:

You're probably right. :wink:

Roger

nakulak

I'm not being facetious, but I suggest we start a thread called "Sleeping Instructors" where we can post pictures of Sleeping Instructors. (I know its not for me to say, but imo maybe it should go in the "Lighting", (aka lightning) section ? Would that make it acceptable or is it the posting itself that is taboo ?

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
nakulak said:
I'm not being facetious, but I suggest we start a thread called "Sleeping Instructors" where we can post pictures of Sleeping Instructors. (I know its not for me to say, but imo maybe it should go in the "Lighting", (aka lightning) section ? Would that make it acceptable or is it the posting itself that is taboo ?

Posting someones picture on the net especially in a negative way could open the door for lawsuits. I doubt Mike wants that.

nakulak

shucks, I guess you're probably right. it'd sure be nice to have pics of all those sleeping instructors tho

Last edited:

George Stolz

Staff member
Occupation
Service Manager
Pierre C Belarge said:
Last night I posted on this site in response to another post that was on the same thread.
George in his capacity as a moderator removed the two posts.
I did not remove the posts, I moved them. In this interesting case, since a member and a moderator began to argue in such a way that I thought was outside the scope of the public forum, I moved the post to the relocation forum where the moderator in question could see it, see my explanation for moving it, and respond accordingly.

Given the unusual nature of the move, I also left explicit permission to return the posts to public view if anyone believed I had overstepped my bounds.

Pierre said:
I disagree with his action.
Surely, a public thread is the most appropriate way to address this sentiment. :rolleyes:

Pierre said:
Moderators have a tough job here sometimes and I understand and sympathize with them, but they should not have the right to just remove all posts they think are not correct. The two posts in my opinion did not have the necessary content to be removed.
We are all entitled to our opinions. I haven't been around as long as you, Pierre, but I have seen enough threads go south to read the writing on the wall.

I am not always correct, however; so I do my best to ensure that anything I do can be undone. Just earlier this week, Dennis and Chris K. had a little lighthearted exchange that I soft-deleted because I saw it as being off topic. Chris PM'ed me to ask what I was smoking, and I realized I had crossed the line and returned it to view.

Please note, this entire exchange occurred via private messaging and was resolved within minutes, without a "George is a moron" thread.

If it was to get worse, that would be different.
It was already bad enough, and had a 85% chance of getting a lot worse. This forum does not exist so that people can attack each other, it's for technical discussion between professionals. When sight of that is lost, we have problems like this, which I am supposed to eliminate.

In not so distant memory, I used my position as moderator to quell personal attacks against you, I would think you would understand the position I have been placed in. I imagine you probably understand, but don't really care. That's your choice.

In moderation, George could have sent a PM or email to help diffuse the situation.
I immediately posted a reply to that thread, explaining my action and the reasoning behind it. Otherwise, you wouldn't have had a clue whose name to attach to the title of this public thread. I don't see what a PM would have accomplished that the public message didn't get across to the forum at large and the involved parties in particular.

I feel if I am going to frequent this site, that I should be able to discuss - even if I am upset/mad - topics that are more than just of a a friendly nature, especially when I respond to defend myself after someone else has their post up for hours before I was able to respond.
I am telling you right now, and you know full well, that we are under no moral or technical responsibility to assure equal time aired for arguments. Just because one guy's message was up for three years and yours was up for two hours, in no way obligates me to leave the second message up for longer.

You are not entitled to discuss any topic on this board. A few months ago I started a thread, mentioned some personal information that was seized upon and discussed, and Marc Shunk stepped up and cried foul that this was not my personal forum. I agree with that sentiment. It's Mike Holt's forum, not mine, and we will stick to that agenda. If you don't like it, you can do as Marc invited me: start a blog somewhere else to air personal issues.

I am amazed that thread has been started in public to decry my lack of PM'ing, I'm still trying to figure that out. I hope I have made myself clear.

ryan_618

For the record, I saw the posts in question, and I agree with George's actions. The posts, from both parties involved, were not in accordance with the topicas permitted in this forum. I think the thread would have escalated into a shouting match. I stand by George 100%. I think he did the right thing in pulling the posts before it got nasty.

peter d

Is it just me or is the non-issue of moderator deleted/relocated posts becoming a common theme lately? Maybe it's time to be addressed with a "sticky" post.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
peter d said:
Is it just me or is the non-issue of moderator deleted/relocated posts becoming a common theme lately? Maybe it's time to be addressed with a "sticky" post.

I use to get upset about deleted posts and took it personally. Now I either don't care or I understand. :grin:

I see posts that I would stop in a heartbeat and the mods let them go. Then there are the posts I have no issue with and the mods do. Hey, c'est la vie. I can handle the fact that we all look at life with different eyes.

George Stolz

Staff member
Occupation
Service Manager
Peter, this is definutely not what I had in mind for a FAQ, that's for sure...

• Why was my post deleted?

The moderators, ever champions of censorship, have decided to void your 1st amendment right to freedom of speech to the full extent of their power, which to their collective dismay, ends at the forum gates. We're working on how to extend coverage to include your home, favorite watering hole and workplace; please check in frequently for updates.

Status
Not open for further replies.