I hope this was done off the clock.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Besoeker

the guys on the east side of the pond would change to 60hz of course ;)
And mess up all my calculations for the past forty years???
On yer bike, son!!!!

Slightly more seriously, we have also made systems for 400Hz mainly for testing aircraft systems.
And slip energy recovery variable speed drive systems where we deal with slip frequencies from mains to near zero at full speed.

PetrosA

The EU nominal is 230/400 or more often stated the other way 400/230 and 50Hz.
So kwired is right about the frequency issue.

Thanks for that reminder. The new voltages came into use around the time I moved back here and it's tough to remember that. I've always heard split voltages as lower/higher but I often see them written the other way round. Also tough to keep in my leaky memory.

the guys on the east side of the pond would change to 60hz of course ;)

They could just do like the Japanese and have switches on the equipment for both frequencies.

PetrosA

Maybe they use DC motors in any appliances that have the need for a motor? I honestly don't know and can't imagine how one country can function using two different frequencies in different regions.

kwired

Electron manager
Maybe they use DC motors in any appliances that have the need for a motor? I honestly don't know and can't imagine how one country can function using two different frequencies in different regions.
And that may work fine with typical household appliances, office machines, etc. but get into industrial machinery with larger motors and you have a bigger need to find the right equipment for your application or you will spend just as much or more converting the supply to what the load requires.

PetrosA

And that may work fine with typical household appliances, office machines, etc. but get into industrial machinery with larger motors and you have a bigger need to find the right equipment for your application or you will spend just as much or more converting the supply to what the load requires.

That's my thinking as well. It must get complicated, especially for suppliers in border areas, to stock larger items in both frequency ratings.

Status
Not open for further replies.