insulation of a device in a metal box

Status
Not open for further replies.

spectra05

in class our teacher has us cover the terminals of all switches and receptacles with electrical tape anytime their in a metallic box (like for drywall). i was wondering where in the NEC it says that you gotta insulate the exposed terminals of devices like switches and receptacles. lookin for the specific code section plz and explination if possible

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
spectra05 said:
in class our teacher has us cover the terminals of all switches and receptacles with electrical tape anytime their in a metallic box (like for drywall). i was wondering where in the NEC it says that you gotta insulate the exposed terminals of devices like switches and receptacles. lookin for the specific code section plz and explination if possible

It is probably done to avoid shorting the wires if you pull them out of the box when energized. It is not necessary nor should you pull them out while energized.

busman

Occupation
Master Electrician / Electrical Engineer
If it's one of those old tiny metal boxes and it's getting a receptacle, I tape it. Otherwise, when the receptacle twists under hard use, it shorts and I get a callback.

Mark

iwire

Staff member
busman said:
If it's one of those old tiny metal boxes and it's getting a receptacle, I tape it. Otherwise, when the receptacle twists under hard use, it shorts and I get a callback.

IMO it would make more sense to secure the receptacle better then to tape it.

busman

Occupation
Master Electrician / Electrical Engineer
Bob,

I agree. However, sometimes the box is a little loose and the wall a bit crumbly/worn and getting the receptacle tight and flush to the wall is impossible. The tape is quick insurance.

Mark

nyerinfl

I use tape all the time in metal boxes, especially cut-in gems. It puts my mind at ease knowing that 2 seconds of work could potentially prevent a future problem for myself. Just as an added thought, I would use them in plastic boxes also, just to prevent the bare copper from comming in contact when the recept. gets put into the box. I think it also makes it safer to pull receptacles out.

lordofpi

Yeah, I have to agree with others. Other than the case of someone who had to cram a receptacle into a very small metal box, if I have to do a service call and see a taped receptacle or switch, my first words are usually, "Oh, c'mon, who did this?" We are talking 120 V house current here, after all; unless poorly installed, arcing ought not to take place at all. Arguments?

iwire

Staff member
georgestolz said:
I tape metal cut-ins, anything else I don't.

Tape waster.....:D

The company I used to work for wanted us to tape all devices, I almost never would and would not ask those under me to.

iwire

Staff member
tryinghard said:
Taping device terminals is a habit of an electrician who does a lot of troubleshooting.

I do a lot of troubleshooting.....I still see no reason to tape a device.

Has anyone ever see a note with any device even suggesting tape?

But it is certainly a personal choice. :)

e57

iwire said:
I do a lot of troubleshooting.....I still see no reason to tape a device.
~~:)
Same here - Installed correctly the receptical does not have enough play to hit the sides.

Lawn guy - why would the receptical be in prior to mud and paint without a cover plate?

danickstr

remodel jobs that stray into living spaces is an example of why a bit of tape might be useful. sometimes energized boxes that are used for the family are "worked around" by drywallers and mudders. I sometimes tape screws in these. Otherwise I don't.

brantmacga

Señor Member
Occupation
Former Child
i've always used metal boxes exclusively and have never taped a device, nor have i had a call-back for a short.

spectra05

thanks for all the feed back on this question. since everyone seem to say that it is not requirement to insulate the terminals of devices in a metallic box. then can someone explain in easier terms Section 404.10,(a),(b) in the 2005 nec. thanx

Status
Not open for further replies.