insulation of a device in a metal box

Status
Not open for further replies.

peter d

iwire said:
That was this mornings verse from the 'Don't work live' Chorus. :wink:

They're on tour right now. You should catch a show if you can. They even have this thing where they sing a few songs wearing full "moon suit" PPE.

tonyou812

I love it when people put the tape on real tight so that it eventually shrinks off and becomes useles. Ill tape devices that go into a metal cut in with madison straps but to tape every device is IMO a waste of time. OK maybe 277 switches too but thats it. Anything else is a waste of time. I know alot of guys that like to tape everything because it takes longer and they can milk it longer. You know the type, they pull up a bucket and sit down and turn it into an art project. they turn a 2 1/2 minute job into 6-7 minutes, times the amount of outlets it can turn out to be quite a wast of time and $$$$$.

mdshunk

celtic said:
The day I use a PlugGrip is the day I become retired :smile:
I'm all for gadgets, but that PlugGrip thing is one I never quite understood. I'm pretty sure I'll never own one. I don't really see the point.

celtic

mdshunk said:
I'm all for gadgets, but that PlugGrip thing is one I never quite understood. I'm pretty sure I'll never own one. I don't really see the point.

I think you'll be happier with a super splicer :grin:

mdshunk

celtic said:
I think you'll be happier with a super splicer :grin:
I've seen that one before, but I'm looking for information on the new "Hoppy Bender" they have, but can't find any. Know anything about that?

480sparky

celtic said:
The day I use a PlugGrip is the day I become retired :smile:

You've obviously never tried it.

I got one at a garage sale for 50?, thinking it might help line up a line/load gfi with all 5 solid 12s stuck to it..... they don't fit into GFIs.

Last edited:

celtic

480sparky said:
You've obviously never tried it.

I got one at a garage sale for 50?, thinking it might help line up a line/load gfi with all 5 solid 12s stuck to it..... they don't fit into GFIs.

I'm going to go out on a limb here...you weren't a happy buyer.

celtic

mdshunk said:
I've seen that one before, but I'm looking for information on the new "Hoppy Bender" they have, but can't find any. Know anything about that?

No...it's still "Classified" and on a "need-to-know" basis.
cat11-02.gif

480sparky

celtic said:
I'm going to go out on a limb here...you weren't a happy buyer.

Well, it was just 4 bits though.... not the end of the world. Just dissappointed is all. Up until then I didn't realize that the outlets on a GFi weren't the same distance apart as a normal duplex.

mthead

insulation of a device in a metal box

mdshunk said:
Think about this... Not all tapes are created equal. 33, 88, Super 10, Scotch 22 all have excellent fire retardant abilities, but pay attention to what type of tape you use. The terminations on devices have certain temperature ratings, and wrapping with an electrical tape that doesn't have at a minimum that tamp rating would be trouble, I would think. UL 510 addresses flammability ratings for electrical tape. There are some that would not be suitable for wrapping receptacles due to their temperature rating alone, so it would seem. That's all you'd want to do is wrap a receptacle with "fuel". Some have adhesives that are corrosive to metals and so forth. Vinyl versus rubber electrical tapes differ considerably in there fire retardant ratings. Pay attention to the tape you use, and don't just pick any old tape to wrap your devices.
[Just when you thought a thread might finally go away,it arises like the Phoenix from the taped recpt..!]
So ,I guess masking tape is out of the question,eh?
P.S.-And one more thing-what is a plug grip any way and where would it fit in your tool belt-next to the all purpose wire stripper?

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
Chamuit said:
Black, Red, Blue, White, Green, Brown, Orange, Yellow, Purple, Pink . . . ;)
No, no! That's: black, brown, red, orange, yellow, green, blue, violet, gray, white. :grin:

Note: every time I see a tape display, I'm so tempted to put the colors in that order. :rolleyes:

Status
Not open for further replies.