Layoff and Bosses

Status
Not open for further replies.

cowboyjwc

Staff member
I have always talked to my men long before this happens and try shorter weeks first, I have a few guys that will take the time off with gusto (hunters fishermen or those remodeling their homes). We also have busy work like straightening up the shop. We do a lot of weekend work an we try to get them the equivalent of 40 hours. I have a good group of guys and all are valuable to me as employees and as friends.

I'd work for you any day.

~Matt

I'll take the shorter work weeks.:D:D

True you deserved a handshake and by your response to the situation they lost a valuable asset when they laidyou off.

You're now about to do a slight change in your career path which will make you even more valuable to an employer. Remember, don't make the mistake of badmouthing your former employer at your new job, it will only make you look small.

Good luck and stay in touch!

I don?t talk much most of the time. I?m the one that sees, hears, and remembers everything. I would never bad mouth my old boss or job at my new place of employment. Letting it out on a chat forum is a bit different if you know what I mean.

My old boss called me about noon to ask some questions about some equipment that went down. I was the only one left that went to Japan and learned all the ins and outs of how that thing worked. I spent about 90 minutes trying to walk them through it but they still could not get it going. I wanted so bad to drive in there and get it running but I decided I did more than most people would have done by trying to talk them though it. If he would have asked I would have drove in and worked on it till it was running right again.

We did shoot the junk for a few minutes and he did apologize for not shaking my hand. He told me I was the tenth person he had laid off that day and I was the only one that did not get pissed about it. He says he was in shock because I was like oh well I know I was on the list. He still had 40+ to lay off after me.

From the sounds of our talk he is about to fly someone in to fix something that I used to get up in the middle of the night and drive to work to fix. It went down about an hour after I was laid off and there is no way to make Monday?s shipment now. Just the cost of missed shipment fines, expedite trucking fees, and the over time of working next weekend will all most pay my salary for a year; but that?s based off it starting up on time Sunday night and running all week with out any problems.

ohm

I don?t talk much most of the time. I?m the one that sees, hears, and remembers everything. I would never bad mouth my old boss or job at my new place of employment. Letting it out on a chat forum is a bit different if you know what I mean.

My old boss called me about noon to ask some questions about some equipment that went down. I was the only one left that went to Japan and learned all the ins and outs of how that thing worked. I spent about 90 minutes trying to walk them through it but they still could not get it going. I wanted so bad to drive in there and get it running but I decided I did more than most people would have done by trying to talk them though it. If he would have asked I would have drove in and worked on it till it was running right again.

We did shoot the junk for a few minutes and he did apologize for not shaking my hand. He told me I was the tenth person he had laid off that day and I was the only one that did not get pissed about it. He says he was in shock because I was like oh well I know I was on the list. He still had 40+ to lay off after me.

From the sounds of our talk he is about to fly someone in to fix something that I used to get up in the middle of the night and drive to work to fix. It went down about an hour after I was laid off and there is no way to make Monday?s shipment now. Just the cost of missed shipment fines, expedite trucking fees, and the over time of working next weekend will all most pay my salary for a year; but that?s based off it starting up on time Sunday night and running all week with out any problems.

I've got a feeling he wishes you were back right about now but is too proud to ask. If you offered to to help him right now your future could improve considerably.

Sparky555

You could offer to go back on a consultant basis. Make your minimum substantial because they may only use you 4 hour/week. If your fee is high enough they may eventually figure out that it won't cost them any more to hire you back. Keep it very friendly like, "If you need me to come in every now and then maybe we could work out where I come in as an independent consultant ". Then say something like "You know I can't live on a few hours here and there so how about $100/hour and $500 minimum?" This isn't high for specialized consultant work.

My Dad did this after he retired. He was always part of the annual budget meetings of a huge company during his career and went back every year for several years as a consultant. They paid what he asked plus travel. Money isn't the issue when you're the go-to guy.

If he asks me I will do it for the cost of a tank of gas. They way I?m thinking is if I offered to do it then he would think I would do it the next time. I don?t mind helping on the phone a few times as long as I?m not in the middle of something.

My department was cut in half so there will be the same amount of work with less people to do it. I would go back if it was hourly and not salary. I made 12.84 an hour last year after we ran the numbers (before taxes straight pay). I could work production there for 12.50 an hour + overtime and have the same benefits.

I?m sure he will show his boss what the cost of this issue was and what I made a year. Just taking the time to help on the phone should have show something.

ohm

If he asks me I will do it for the cost of a tank of gas. They way I?m thinking is if I offered to do it then he would think I would do it the next time. I don?t mind helping on the phone a few times as long as I?m not in the middle of something.

My department was cut in half so there will be the same amount of work with less people to do it. I would go back if it was hourly and not salary. I made 12.84 an hour last year after we ran the numbers (before taxes straight pay). I could work production there for 12.50 an hour + overtime and have the same benefits.

I?m sure he will show his boss what the cost of this issue was and what I made a year. Just taking the time to help on the phone should have show something.

I would offer to get him out of a jam this time and when the money issue comes up tell him to pay you what he thinks it's worth. You will have made a friend for life and be viewed in a whole new light. Explain you've started a new job and it would have to be on a consultant basis in the future.

He knows how much he will have to pay to get one in on an emergency basis and will hopefully do the math himself.

Sparky555
I missed your post before I made mine some how last night.

I sent him an email stating I would come in some time today or tomorrow to work on it for a small fee. I added he needed to get a few operators in so I would be able to trouble shoot it better and make sure it will run. I sent him a text massage tell him to check his email. If I don?t hear from him by 8am I?m going to track him down on the phone.

I did indicate in the email that we might want to talk about me being a consultant for the company.

jrannis

Yesterday there was a call in on a all news radio station about what are your bosses doing as they cut you salary and jobs. Most of the callers had sarcastic remarks about their bosses.

I know it is common for employees to rag bosses. But for me when my guys have to miss one day or as in the past when I had to let people go I was physically sick and bothered, not at the aspect of facing him and having to tell an employee the bad news. But at the aspect of what this might do to him and his family. Not all bosses are evil.

Its never really a good day when you have to hand someone that last check.
I just remember that they will be going back to sign the book and will be out working again someplace else, hopefully sooner than later.
I had to layoff a guy that was going on a short vacation to see his new granddaughter for the first time.
Problem was, that the layoff was scheduled two days after he was supposed to come back.
I told him when the layoff was supposed happen. He was so happy that you think he had won the lottery. Called his wife and they were able to stay an extra couple of weeks on vacation. That was a good one.
Bad one was the only guy that ever pitched a fit and asked how I could live with myself. I just layed off the night shift but, in a week, they were all going to the day shift with another company on the same job.

brian john

When I worked construction there always seemed to be one or two guys that enjoyed the time off, usually older men that had a wife that worked and no kids at home.

76nemo

Pretty depressing topic:cool:

I got laid off awhile back. Told me I had too many suggestions and wasn't a team player. That was before 15 other people were laid off. So much for a good excuse. I left with a couple of hand shakes and wished them the best of luck. I'll be darned if I am about to bash someone that has no control of what directly affects myself. Now, the economy, I can bad mouth that all day long. Who's fault is it? I don't know, but it really stinks:mad:

When I worked construction there always seemed to be one or two guys that enjoyed the time off, usually older men that had a wife that worked and no kids at home.

When I told my wife she called her boss and told him what had happened and told him she would like personal time for Friday and he understood. I called the kids schools and told them they would not be in and if you want send them extra home work.

I can not remember the last time we had a stress free outing and didn?t have to plan for what happens if I get called in.

76nemo

Stress will kill you! Thank gosh for beer!!!!! Stress doesn't just affect yourself, it affects everyone close to you. Glad none of mine mind how much I drink. Speaking of which,.............:D

MAK

Pretty depressing topic:cool:

I got laid off awhile back. Told me I had too many suggestions and wasn't a team player. That was before 15 other people were laid off. So much for a good excuse.

I hate it when employers make up excuses to fire people. I would have more respect for them if they were honest.

I worked for a employer years ago that would ask his employees to speak up and give their opinion on how a job should be done. What the employer really wanted was for everyone's opinion to be the same as his. When some of the guys had opinions that conflicted with the boss's view, the boss and his team of lackey's (upper management) would start inserting comments about Joe Workers job performance into casual conversation with other employees. It was always so obvious to everyone in the work force that management was trying to shape everyone's view about Joe Worker so that when he got fired no one would bitch about it.
This place drove me crazy and was so stifling that when I left I instantly felt a huge weight had lifted.

Rewire

I am preparing to hire as spring is almost here and I am confidant things will pick up as they always have. Don't get traped in a doom and gloom attitude if you are out of work then prepare yourself for a job.A job is simply trading time for money what you want to do is convince the employer that your time is of the most value.Look at how your first impression will be,do you need a haircut,shave, remove the nose ring?Are you up to date on the changes in your field?Have you practiced your interview to prepare for the real thing.Pay attention to details and you will be a sucsess

76nemo

I need a haircut, and a shave to prove to you I can work circles around most of your men:confused:

I am doomed!!!! I can't believe you say that. I don't sport any tattoo's or piercings. I am about as polite as polite can be with anyone.

Am I just a dirtbag????

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
I need a haircut, and a shave to prove to you I can work circles around most of your men:confused:

I am doomed!!!! I can't believe you say that. I don't sport any tattoo's or piercings. I am about as polite as polite can be with anyone.

Am I just a dirtbag????

Should that be a poll ? :D

76nemo

Should that be a poll ? :D

Yes, it should, PLEASE. If you talk to anyone of the customers I have EVER serviced, they will tell you just how polite I was/am. I treat customers with thee UTMOST respect. I may look like I just walked out of the woods after five years, but my looks DON'T dictate how I react with people. I think my manners have brought me more jobs than my actual work performance.

I know how to treat people properly. I treat all of my customers like family, as I would expect the same.

Rewire

Am I just a dirtbag????

If it looks like a duck,quacks like a duck....well you know the rest.Which is most important to you,long hair and a beard or a job? the thing to remember is that their are plenty of guys who can work circles around you and they are standing in the same line you are.We are a service company and image is a big part of that.I want employes that posses the needed skills as well as projecting a professional image.

76nemo

If it looks like a duck,quacks like a duck....well you know the rest.Which is most important to you,long hair and a beard or a job? the thing to remember is that their are plenty of guys who can work circles around you and they are standing in the same line you are.We are a service company and image is a big part of that.I want employes that posses the needed skills as well as projecting a professional image.

Ohhhh, so I am unprofessional, eh???

Status
Not open for further replies.