Layoff and Bosses

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mr. Wizard

Appearance is everything. No matter how nice a person is, he/she will be judged on their appearance before a word is ever spoken. I have many tattoos, but they are concealed when I am fully dressed. I've got a guy that has the long hair, beard, tattoo sleeves, but piercings aren't allowed on my site (we have to do hot work from time to time). When I first saw him, I was saying to myself "this dude looks like he just got released from death row". Boy, was I wrong. That guy works his butt off, is super nice, and can bend some of best looking show pipe you've ever seen. I wouldn't trade him in for anything.

76nemo

Appearance is everything. No matter how nice a person is, he/she will be judged on their appearance before a word is ever spoken. I have many tattoos, but they are concealed when I am fully dressed. I've got a guy that has the long hair, beard, tattoo sleeves, but piercings aren't allowed on my site (we have to do hot work from time to time). When I first saw him, I was saying to myself "this dude looks like he just got released from death row". Boy, was I wrong. That guy works his butt off, is super nice, and can bend some of best looking show pipe you've ever seen. I wouldn't trade him in for anything.

Thank you for saying that.

Rewire

worked a job once that required passing through a metal detector.It was a pain removing all rings watches and even steeltoed boots.One day I was behind a guy who kept setting off the detector he stepped back and removed his ring an dear rings but still set it off security used a wand and it b eeped around his groin area well they took him to a side room and later the word got around he hab a piercing in a very private place.

I think any plant manager would have a hard time beliving anything is more important than product flowing off the line. At least in my plant.

But at least you got your foot in the door. Time to stick it to their wallet.:D
If they want me then they need to pay me what I?m worth now. If not who ever is my primary employer is would be my #1.

I have my arms sleeved, hair half way down my back, clean shaved, a bull ring, and wedding band tattooed on. When I?m at work my hair is pulled back and is banded every 3 inches, the bull ring is flipped up or taken out, and I wear long sleeves that are cut right below the elbow. Some days my kids will do the little braids in my hair but there still pulled back and out of the way.

If you ran me into a metal detector I would set it off to. I have both nipples and a Prince Albert.

76nemo

If they want me then they need to pay me what I?m worth now. If not who ever is my primary employer is would be my #1.

I have my arms sleeved, hair half way down my back, clean shaved, a bull ring, and wedding band tattooed on. When I?m at work my hair is pulled back and is banded every 3 inches, the bull ring is flipped up or taken out, and I wear long sleeves that are cut right below the elbow. Some days my kids will do the little braids in my hair but there still pulled back and out of the way.

If you ran me into a metal detector I would set it off to. I have both nipples and a Prince Albert.

LTMI for myself:grin:

cowboyjwc

Staff member
The reason I have to wear an ID badge and try to park my truck in line with the front door, if I'm doing residential, is because one of our guys scared the heck out of some lady when he showed up looking like a guy right out of one of those 70's biker movies.

hgrace

Making Changes to Lower Layoff

Making Changes to Lower Layoff

I've been in business here in the Los Angeles area for 25 years, and never had real layoffs until now. I had to let 4 of my 18 go , mostly because there skill sets had not improved and they could only perform specific tasks.
For the rest, I made the decision to modify the work week. We now have split the crews to 4 days at 9 hours each, 36 hours a week. The crews split days M-T or T-F.
The staff now only have to commute 4 not 5 days, a 10% reduction in transportation cost, and reducing Co2 and traffic impact.
My crews took about 2 weeks to adjust and now really enjoy the extra day off. It reduces our weekly payroll and has not affected any job production. Most of our customers are not even aware of the change.
If this practice became more common it would help in other markets as well. This is not a new idea, it was implemented by a few European countries in the 70's and 80's and reduced their unemployment issues greatly as well as imporbving the quality of lifer for all.

Someone posted that they had a layoff (working 80 hrs /wk) and was rehired for 10k less (working 40 hrs/week), I don't think they did the math here , sounds like he got a raise to me !

I was laid off after 8 years of working for my employer. I have found a new job that I start on Monday doing similar work in a different type of manufacturing plant. They pay would be $13.35 and 40 hours a week. My last boss told me he is going to offer me my job back on Monday (full week of unemployment).

I was working for salary and made 12.84 an hour with out over time.

I told him that I would reject his offer to come back but would accept it if he matched my current offer. Only difference in benefits would be vacation per year in the old job. I would have to be on call for him and told him I would need 3 hour minimum if I get called in to work. I have talked to upper management a few times and there still thinking. So far there best offer was 13.10 but I told them it was to low. My wife thinks I should hold out for 13.30 but I?m thinking 13.20 and I?m there.

We have also talked about me working on a consultant biases. But they would want me to be available more often than possible if working a full time job.

They understand that if I do not hear form them by Friday at noon then I will start my new job on Monday and it will be harder to get me back.

What would you do?

Mr. Wizard

I was laid off after 8 years of working for my employer. I have found a new job that I start on Monday doing similar work in a different type of manufacturing plant. They pay would be $13.35 and 40 hours a week. My last boss told me he is going to offer me my job back on Monday (full week of unemployment).

I was working for salary and made 12.84 an hour with out over time.

I told him that I would reject his offer to come back but would accept it if he matched my current offer. Only difference in benefits would be vacation per year in the old job. I would have to be on call for him and told him I would need 3 hour minimum if I get called in to work. I have talked to upper management a few times and there still thinking. So far there best offer was 13.10 but I told them it was to low. My wife thinks I should hold out for 13.30 but I?m thinking 13.20 and I?m there.

We have also talked about me working on a consultant biases. But they would want me to be available more often than possible if working a full time job.

They understand that if I do not hear form them by Friday at noon then I will start my new job on Monday and it will be harder to get me back.

What would you do?

I would hold on until Friday. Beyond that, you've got to take care of yourself. If they want you back bad enough, they'll come up with an offer you can't refuse.

They called me today and gave in to the 13.35 but had to start right then. Something went down over night and they decided it was cheaper to pay me what I wanted and have me get it going then the cost of down time till the ones in technical found the issue and got it running again.

I had to cancel the plans for Friday morning because I now have to work. They did give me my new laptop that was still in the box but gave me an older secondary internal hard drive for my mass storage. I also have a better cubical then I did a week ago.

I hope everyone else has the luck I did. I?m glad to be of salary and back on hourly wages.

Sparky555

Good for you!

Next time someone has the bright idea to lay you off just tell them to think about what happened the last time.

ohm

They called me today and gave in to the 13.35 but had to start right then. Something went down over night and they decided it was cheaper to pay me what I wanted and have me get it going then the cost of down time till the ones in technical found the issue and got it running again.

I had to cancel the plans for Friday morning because I now have to work. They did give me my new laptop that was still in the box but gave me an older secondary internal hard drive for my mass storage. I also have a better cubical then I did a week ago.

I hope everyone else has the luck I did. I?m glad to be of salary and back on hourly wages.

Congratulations! Maybe it took this little trial to get their heads on straight.:D

cowboyjwc

Staff member
Good for you.

My dad worked for NCR for 35 years until he retired. Two weeks after he retired they needed him to come back and work on some things, He told them that it would be $100 an hour and they said fine. He said his second thought after, you've got to be kidding me, was, if I had known I was worth that much I would have retired years ago.:smile:

Sparky and ohm?
I had the best few days of not having to think about what happens if they call me and I?m out with the family. Now I have to think about it again but it has to go all the way to the plant manager before I get called in. This should stop me form having to come in as much.

Cowboy?
I didn?t get $100 an hour when I went back to bail them out but I did get some cash.

Bill?
Don?t get me wrong; I love my wife and kids. But I?m so ready to get out of the house with 4 females. These few days reminded me why I?m saving for the 3 kids to get there Dr. Degrees. We own everything outright, my wife pays the bills with her job, and I make the spending money and the collage fund. I will not stop with the collage fund I can send all 3 of them to get there Dr. or I get the estrogen levels way down.

I got offered $14 an hour by the new company but told them no thank you. I?m not even going to try to get it matched now. I still say I got a raise now that I?m not on salary.

P.S. My wife watched me post this. I have been slapped for it and she thinks it?s funny but true.

ohm

Sparky and ohm?
I had the best few days of not having to think about what happens if they call me and I?m out with the family. Now I have to think about it again but it has to go all the way to the plant manager before I get called in. This should stop me form having to come in as much.

Cowboy?
I didn?t get $100 an hour when I went back to bail them out but I did get some cash.

Bill?
Don?t get me wrong; I love my wife and kids. But I?m so ready to get out of the house with 4 females. These few days reminded me why I?m saving for the 3 kids to get there Dr. Degrees. We own everything outright, my wife pays the bills with her job, and I make the spending money and the collage fund. I will not stop with the collage fund I can send all 3 of them to get there Dr. or I get the estrogen levels way down.

I got offered $14 an hour by the new company but told them no thank you. I?m not even going to try to get it matched now. I still say I got a raise now that I?m not on salary.

P.S. My wife watched me post this. I have been slapped for it and she thinks it?s funny but true.

All the way from the Plant Manager! Wow I'll bet somebody got their butt kicked for letting you go!

Your story has been inspiration to a bunch of us. Thanks for sharing it.

Good job man....integrity wins again. There's nothing wrong with learning to do what others can't or won't...you worked hard to learn what you know and now its reward time. Way to stay the course bro!

jrannis

My boss called me in to fix his machine. He had 2 people form a different location that could not get it going. I loaded the original software back to it and changed it step by step till it was running right. It took me 4 hours to get it done. He had the 2 he flew in and 3 of my old coworkers working on it and they had no clue.

He has set up a meeting Monday morning to sit down with him and his boss. I have no idea if I want to work full time for them and if so it would be hourly. As far as consultation for them they would have to understand I will have a full time job that?s more important then they are.

Thats really good news, I hope it works out for the better. I know your new gig is more money for less hours and now this!!! Great job!

jrannis

Just read the whole post. You could have maybe negotiated $15 or $16 bucks but, now that you are hourly, you are going to be very happy if they work you the same 60+ hours a week!

Status
Not open for further replies.