Layoff and Bosses

Status
Not open for further replies.

hardworkingstiff

If it comes down between two otherwise equal candidates the one that looks less menacing is likely to get the job, especially if the job involves going to peoples homes.

I'd replace likely with will.

You may not like it (I didn't in my 20's and sported long hair and did work circles around others), but those are the rules of the game. If you don't want to play by the rules, find another game.

brian john

I need a haircut, and a shave to prove to you I can work circles around most of your men:confused:

I am doomed!!!! I can't believe you say that. I don't sport any tattoo's or piercings. I am about as polite as polite can be with anyone.

Am I just a dirtbag????

You would not work for me..Hospitals and data center would be leery of you. Sorry but that is just the facts.

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
Yes, it should, PLEASE. If you talk to anyone of the customers I have EVER serviced, they will tell you just how polite I was/am. I treat customers with thee UTMOST respect. I may look like I just walked out of the woods after five years, but my looks DON'T dictate how I react with people. I think my manners have brought me more jobs than my actual work performance.

Just what service are you providing? :)

Bottom line is that appearance matters to a lot of people. Personally, a guy with a big bushy beard does not bother me one bit, but a person with multiple piercings just grosses me out.

I don't care much about clothing either, as long as it is clean and in good repair, and there is enough of it, although a lot of people put a lot of stock in it.

brian john

If you look professional and act professional people by default will assume you are a professional.

Look like a hillbilly and act like a nut and people assume the opposite of above.

This is about business not personal choices.

electricalperson

i have a lot of tattoos on my arms and a beard. i dont really think any customers mind the way i look just as long as im polite and dont really look like a slob. infact some customers i worked for has tattoos and we end up having conversations about them :)

peter d

i have a lot of tattoos on my arms and a beard. i dont really think any customers mind the way i look just as long as im polite and dont really look like a slob. infact some customers i worked for has tattoos and we end up having conversations about them :)

If you're doing a lot of resi service, I guarantee there are people who judge you based on how you look. It may not be fair, but that's the way of the world.

electricalperson

If you're doing a lot of resi service, I guarantee there are people who judge you based on how you look. It may not be fair, but that's the way of the world.

i dont mind anyway. im sure people judge me even before they see my tattoos. i have a pretty bad studder when i speak. so people judged me all my life. when they see my work and what im capable of they quickly change the way they think about me :smile:

peter d

i dont mind anyway. im sure people judge me even before they see my tattoos. i have a pretty bad studder when i speak. so people judged me all my life. when they see my work and what im capable of they quickly change the way they think about me :smile:
\

I feel your pain. I get judged because I'm ugly and have a bad haircut all the time.

brian john

I think the tattoo issue is changing as TONS of people have them these days. Though I do not have any. I have told my employees we are on a no new tattoo vacation for 12 months.

One of my men just got a tattoo on his whole forearm with his new girlfriends name. A bit premature I think.

My boss called me in to fix his machine. He had 2 people form a different location that could not get it going. I loaded the original software back to it and changed it step by step till it was running right. It took me 4 hours to get it done. He had the 2 he flew in and 3 of my old coworkers working on it and they had no clue.

He has set up a meeting Monday morning to sit down with him and his boss. I have no idea if I want to work full time for them and if so it would be hourly. As far as consultation for them they would have to understand I will have a full time job that?s more important then they are.

K2500

... that?s more important then they are.

I think any plant manager would have a hard time beliving anything is more important than product flowing off the line. At least in my plant.

But at least you got your foot in the door. Time to stick it to their wallet.:D

peter d

You just got hit by a car, and you need CPR. Don't ask me, I have long hair and a beard, I might rob you:rolleyes:

I think the point that some of us are trying to make is that, like it or not, people judge based on appearance. Did anyone say it's fair or correct? No. But that's how it is, and it's not going to change no matter how accepting society gets of certain things like tattoos and piercings.

emahler

Pretty depressing topic:cool:

I got laid off awhile back. Told me I had too many suggestions and wasn't a team player. That was before 15 other people were laid off. So much for a good excuse.

Starting to think they weren't just making this up.

Status
Not open for further replies.