NEVER found problem??

Status
Not open for further replies.

dbuckley

Going to relate a tale from a job where I was an IT person, and the data centre was dead. The (three) electricians were under "some pressure" to get the power back on. Eventually, I couldn't just hang around in the office, I needed to go and have a look.

As I got there they were about to hand us back the facility, they'd done some creative bypassing of failed contractors and were confident that all was well. Which was excellent news.

So, the first breaker was thrown, and then the second, and then there was a loud bang from a rack. A few colleagues and I look at each other nervously, hoping that was just a one off anomaly. The third breaker thrown and another bang. STOP we shout.

I ask the sparky nicely to measure the voltage out the end of an IEC connector in a rack, and it's swinging all over the shop. "Power not acceptable" I advise the sparky. "But it reads fine in the panel" he growls.

It's about this point when its getting distinctly frosty, we're doing the "Labor rate 75 per hr straight labor, 100 per hr you watching, 150 per hr you helping." type thing.

So sparky hauls me off to the panel, bungs the black probe on the metalwork, and prods the red probe onto each phase, and the voltage is indeed pretty much exactly what it should be. "Do it again with the black probe on the neutral not the metalwork" I ask. At which point I am reminded by EC that the metalwork and the neutral are bonded at the source of supply. "Please, just humour me" I ask, and he acquiesces, the measurement made, and the wildly swinging voltage is observed. "Odd" he declares...

I eventually manage to get him to measure ohms between metal and neutral, and it's open. "Lost neutral" I declare.

The rest is just an everyday tale of burned out switchgear due to lack of preventative maintenence, boring, but there is a moral to this story - when troubleshooting never assume, as thats where you get caught out.

Everyone who does this long enough falls for this sort of thing at least once, and it's hardest to stay on the logical path when there's pressure on top.

cadpoint

"Load Banks"

"Load Banks"

brother said:
oK I know what a Megger is, but what is a DLRO ??
Google it

Marc, the load banks a rental option at the Rental Store, Correct ? :rolleyes:

I'd also like to see a line diagram of the DLRO with extensions showing the application, on Dropped neutral or Service at/from home run box?

One is measuring circuit service from end to end, of service ?

I need more toys! :rolleyes:

electricalperson

i never leave a job before the problem is fixed. only problem i had where icouldnt fix it was a software issue with the computer that was controlling a 2 stage water boiler in a house...one of those tekmar controls

e57

derwith said:
Eairlier it this thread someone said that the problem can always be found.

In upstate New York, a fireworks factory blew up. ~ No evidence left to try to figure out what went went wrong.

Not making light of the dead - but you don't have a problem to fix when the building no longer exists. Electrical troubleshooting is one thing - forensics is another completely.

ArcNSpark

I once had a homeowner complain that one of two recessed can lights over her bed wouldn't work. If you turned on the switch by one nightstand, one light would come on, but the other wouldn't. When I moved the bed to make room for the ladder, we found another switch on the other side of the bed behind the tall bedpost.

Hilarity then ensued once we returned to the van.

ArcNSpark

Energy-Miser said:
How about those who stand so close to you the whole time, you are afraid to bump right into them if you make a fast move? e/m

I can't STAND that. It makes me SO nervous that I start making mistakes that never would have happened if I had been left alone.

My strategy is this: I suddenly "remember" something that I left in the van, go hide in the van for 4-5 minutes, then come back. If they're still breathing down my neck, I'll go back to the van every minute or two, each time for a longer duration, and hope that they'll lose interest and go find something else to do.

JohnJ0906

dbuckley said:
Everyone who does this long enough falls for this sort of thing at least once, and it's hardest to stay on the logical path when there's pressure on top.

Gotta be the hardest part of troubleshooting - when someone is looking over your shoulder saying "We need power back NOW!"

Sometimes you just have to stop for a few minutes and think it through from the beginning, and that can drive some people batty - they don't think you are working on the problem when you are standing still thinking about it.

Whenever I get a tough one, I usually find the solution after a few minutes of "brain time"

donselectric

i was finishing up a service change one day
the h/o was having a party at noon
it was getting close and he was hangin on
me. well it happened i thought i had the 220 line...:roll:
fried his micro (just the fuse) and a radio...
as i was leaving people were comming in hes asking what happend
i said must have been a surge.....;)

sguinn

JohnJ0906 said:
Whenever I get a tough one, I usually find the solution after a few minutes of "brain time"

I've solved a lot of hard ones during sleep. Get up in the middle of the night to pee and boom there's the answer. I guess that's where the phrase "sleep on it" comes from.

ArcNSpark said:
I can't STAND that. It makes me SO nervous that I start making mistakes that never would have happened if I had been left alone.

My strategy is this: I suddenly "remember" something that I left in the van, go hide in the van for 4-5 minutes, then come back. If they're still breathing down my neck, I'll go back to the van every minute or two, each time for a longer duration, and hope that they'll lose interest and go find something else to do.

I like that...Here is another one I like to use.

While the HO is watching over my shoulder, I would frequently "step back to consider what to do next", which gave me the opportunity to accidentally step onto his/her toes:D. After a couple times, they somehow lost interest in watching so closely.

cpopinc

cpopinc

cpopinc

I feel that your megger will tell you most things that are wrong in the spoof the spook world. Also the underground thing can be megged out and usually it's wires that were freyed when the were pulled in.

Status
Not open for further replies.