NEVER found problem??

Status
Not open for further replies.

e57

Energy-Miser said:
Reminds me of the commercial (forget for what) that went like this: Honey do you know what this switch is for?

I had a call like that! A nieghbor turned my customer on to X-10 devices, intalled themselves (no required filter) - then periodicaly the lights would go out seemingly at random - when ever the nieghbor who told them about it turned his dining room lights off. :grin: And vise versa....

stickboy1375

e57 said:
I had a call like that! A nieghbor turned my customer on to X-10 devices, intalled themselves (no required filter) - then periodicaly the lights would go out seemingly at random - when ever the nieghbor who told them about it turned his dining room lights off. :grin: And vise versa....

I think they should have tried a different code... :grin: When I install them I generally use the letter of the clients last name. (Just for people at home paying attention, X-10 will work in any location sharing the same transformer)

360Youth

Energy-Miser said:
Reminds me of the commercial (forget for what) that went like this: Honey do you know what this switch is for? No, I have never used it. Well he man turns it on and off repeatedly, only to lower and raise neighbor's garage door as she is backing her car out of the garage! I never thought it could happen in real life ! e/m.

"Life comes at you fast" I think is the commercial. Insurance of some sort.

Energy-Miser

e57 said:
Well, back to communication using the Morse Code, :)

Energy-Miser

360Youth said:
"Life comes at you fast" I think is the commercial. Insurance of some sort.
Yes, that's the one!
(I got a message saying I had to wait 60 seconds between posts!, I better slow down. Learned a new rule!).

480sparky

jerm said:
Is that on a wiremold box?

Absotively Posilutely!

2gwmbox.jpg

jerm

480sparky said:
Absotively Posilutely!

Now why would you go and ruin a perfectly good two-gang switch by putting that nasty wiremold behind it! I guess some director somewhere decided it made the switch more photogenic.

480sparky

jerm said:
Now why would you go and ruin a perfectly good two-gang switch by putting that nasty wiremold behind it! I guess some director somewhere decided it made the switch more photogenic.

I doubt it's the director. It's more likely the prop guy. Instead of cutting in a box, it was a lot easier to slap a WM box up. Remember, this is Madison Avenue, not the real world. Those switches aren't wired to anything and don't do a thing. For all we know, it's help up with double-sided tape......

360Youth

480sparky said:
I doubt it's the director. It's more likely the prop guy. Instead of cutting in a box, it was a lot easier to slap a WM box up. Remember, this is Madison Avenue, not the real world. Those switches aren't wired to anything and don't do a thing. For all we know, it's help up with double-sided tape......

Come on now, this is union Hollywood. There is a hole in the wall with an extra on the other side holding up the box. I believe that is what they call a "Grip." :roll: Ohh, that was bad, sorry.

480sparky

360Youth said:
Come on now, this is union Hollywood. There is a hole in the wall with an extra on the other side holding up the box. I believe that is what they call a "Grip." :roll: Ohh, that was bad, sorry.

Yer such a Gaffer!

It's the KEY Grip!

Do I dare ask what the "Best Boy" does????:grin:

360Youth said:
I'll be updating the door choices as I find new and intersting stuff.

But the link doesn't rotate. I'm confustigated!

Last edited:

360Youth

480sparky said:
But the link doesn't rotate. I'm confustigated!

Sorry, too much effort on my part. :roll: The "rotating" part is just a link to "Let's Make a Deal" leading to the door choices. The door "links" is what I will be updating periodicly. I will probably delete the intro and just leave the "doors."

480sparky

360Youth said:
Sorry, too much effort on my part. :roll: The "rotating" part is just a link to "Let's Make a Deal" leading to the door choices. The door "links" is what I will be updating periodicly. I will probably delete the intro and just leave the "doors."

OK. I see. I'm totally disconfustigated now. ;)

jrclen

My favorite. A farmer, my wife's uncle, called me. He told me over the phone that he had a problem. When he went to the equipment shed for a beer, he got a shock from the door knob. He asked me to come over. When I got there he told me another symptom. The dog wouldn't pee on the building any more like he always did. I turned on the fluke and poked one lead into the dirt. "You don't need that meter, says Uncle Wally, just touch the door knob." I proceeded to find 120 volts on the door knob, after explaining how I wanted to be an old electrician some day. I opened the door with a glove and went inside to the electric panel. Turned off all the circuits, voltage went away. Turned them on one at a time and the yard light above the door heated up the door knob. And all the rest of the building steel. The conductor in the pipe to the light fixture had shorted from the wind shaking the stand off pipe. The panel was mounted to a sheet of plywood inside the pole shed. There was no bond to the building steel. These buildings are very common here on farms. They are a wood frame with steel siding and roofs. It wasn't all that hard to find the problem but it was one of my funniest calls. Uncle Wally and the dog were both happy when I fixed the problem, and bonded to the building steel.

nakulak

my boss (master electrician) wanted stone on his house (wood frame/sided house). so we decided to buy this fake stone stuff and we put it halfway up the wall (looks pretty good). anyway, to put it on, you have to install wire lath to the outside of the house. after it was all done and looking nice, one of the guys put in some flower beds and stuff, and while he was watering them, he claimed that he was getting shocked. later, the boss claimed that when it rained the whole exter was energized (alum siding). lol, we located the ckt, figured someone must have used long screws putting the lath on, but noone ever owned up to it.

acrwc10

Master Code Professional
Occupation
Building inspector
jrclen said:
My favorite. A farmer, my wife's uncle, called me. He told me over the phone that he had a problem. When he went to the equipment shed for a beer, he got a shock from the door knob. He asked me to come over. When I got there he told me another symptom. The dog wouldn't pee on the building any more like he always did. I turned on the fluke and poked one lead into the dirt. "You don't need that meter, says Uncle Wally, just touch the door knob." I proceeded to find 120 volts on the door knob, after explaining how I wanted to be an old electrician some day. I opened the door with a glove and went inside to the electric panel. Turned off all the circuits, voltage went away. Turned them on one at a time and the yard light above the door heated up the door knob. And all the rest of the building steel. The conductor in the pipe to the light fixture had shorted from the wind shaking the stand off pipe. The panel was mounted to a sheet of plywood inside the pole shed. There was no bond to the building steel. These buildings are very common here on farms. They are a wood frame with steel siding and roofs. It wasn't all that hard to find the problem but it was one of my funniest calls. Uncle Wally and the dog were both happy when I fixed the problem, and bonded to the building steel.

Thats one way of getting the dog to stop peeing on the wall. And get uncle Wally to cut down on the beer.

nakulak

(maybe it wasn't the dog to begin with ?) (iwire - if this violates forum rules, I apologize in advance (not sure, but not wanting to offend))

Status
Not open for further replies.