NoLox?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don S.

NOLOX keeps the atmosphere out of the mating surfaces of the joint, eliminating oxidation. A little of it on the threads of a set screw connector will prevent galling and seizing. One of its most significant properties is how the tiniest amount, carefully applied, can still manage to get all over everything in sight.

ItsHot

pvc glue

pvc glue

NOLOX keeps the atmosphere out of the mating surfaces of the joint, eliminating oxidation. A little of it on the threads of a set screw connector will prevent galling and seizing. One of its most significant properties is how the tiniest amount, carefully applied, can still manage to get all over everything in sight.
Similiar to pvc glue!:D

wptski

I have seen at times the stripped portion on copper wire with a blue/green color coating which is oxidation. I assume a NoLox type coating would prevent this.

wptski

as well as al to al.....if you dont believe de ox makes a difference put some on a piece of cu buss let it sit for a minute then wipe it off, you should be able to see a spot where the buss is cleaned/etched by the chemical compound....clean= less opposition to curent flow........wow...sorry for being so long winded....:cool:
I put some NOALOX on some bare Cu wire that's been laying around for some time for several minutes. Couldn't see any difference under at all in where it had been!

rt66electric

From the FNG ;; JUst to enhance the discussion/ argument, I thought NOLOX also worked like a "cathodic"(probably missspelled) protection Similar to using ZINC plates on your boat outboard motor.

electricalperson

they taught us in school to use nolox whenever we install AL conductors. so i use it whenever i have it. but on the other hand, a properly rated connector, properly tightened connection will never give you any problems. nolox or not. i opened up quite a few metersockets that were 20 - 30 years old that didnt have any and the AL connections were fine. my house is like this for example and i dont loose sleep over it

Status
Not open for further replies.