NoLox?

Status
Not open for further replies.

iwire

Staff member
ItsHot said:
NoLox?.. Just curious as to when and where you use a anti- corrosive agent such as NoLox? Thank You!!

Very rarely.

The NEC does not directly require the use of NoLox, I have seen some GE disconnect switches that called for it on the label of the equipment and in that case I feel 110.3(B) requires it.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
stickboy1375 said:
I hate the stuff, makes a mess and doubt its even worth the cause.

I don't have any evidence other than my observations. I have seen many aluminum cables burned up at the terminals but never have seen one burned with nolox on it-- at least that I can recall.

stickboy1375

Dennis Alwon said:
I don't have any evidence other than my observations. I have seen many aluminum cables burned up at the terminals but never have seen one burned with nolox on it-- at least that I can recall.

I've seen terminals burnt up also, but its always a loose connection, not one with or without nolox.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
stickboy1375 said:
I've seen terminals burnt up also, but its always a loose connection, not one with or without nolox.

But why are they loose? I thought nolox help the aluminum from expanding and contracting and that's what loosened the connection. Perhaps I am mistaken on what nolox actually does.

stickboy1375

Dennis Alwon said:
But why are they loose? I thought nolox help the aluminum from expanding and contracting and that's what loosened the connection. Perhaps I am mistaken on what nolox actually does.

I always though it was a anti-oxidant, to help protect the surface of the wire?

IMO, if AL is properly torqued, you will probably never see a problem.

ultramegabob

nolox is an oxidization inhibitor, I use it anytime Im installing aluminum conductors. it keeps your conductors from getting all chalky and corroded especially when its in exterior equipment.

ultramegabob

stickboy1375 said:
I always though it was a anti-oxidant, to help protect the surface of the wire?

IMO, if AL is properly torqued, you will probably never see a problem.

green tea is an anti-oxidant, nolox is an oxidization inhibitor, lol.... :grin:

stickboy1375

ultramegabob said:
nolox is an oxidization inhibitor, I use it anytime Im installing aluminum conductors. it keeps your conductors from getting all chalky and corroded especially when its in exterior equipment.

I dont really want to debate it since I do use the stuff, but I just dont see the evidence that it does anything. I've seen pleanty of panels without it and they look like they were installed yesterday.

peter d

stickboy1375 said:
I dont really want to debate it since I do use the stuff, but I just dont see the evidence that it does anything. I've seen pleanty of panels without it and they look like they were installed yesterday.

Same here.

I just installed some aluminum service cables the other day. I used "noalox" on the connections inside the meter socket, but didn't bother with it on the connections on the inside disconnect.

I read somewhere that torquing the connection properly is what breaks the oxidation barrier on the aluminum wire, not the noalox.

mivey

ultramegabob said:
I wonder if they sell it in the healthfood section in the grociery store? :grin:

nolox is commonly referd to as "inhibitor" around here...
De-Ox around here

Status
Not open for further replies.