NoLox?

Status
Not open for further replies.

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
We build some stuff that goes outside that has some good size wires in it. I generally spec an antioxidant to be used on the terminations even though we don't use aluminum wire at all.

quogueelectric

iwire said:
You really should do some more research there Mr cow. :)
Mr Cow got that information from an Alcoa film in 1984 from the company that makes the aluminum explaining how to terminate thier wire.
It hasnt changed to my knowledge and I have an alcoa hypress specifically for crimping Al conductors because many of the other hypres lugs are not rated for aluminum.
I installed miles of it in the early 70s but didnt know to ask because I was 12 working for my father. The film explained not to ring it with a knife but to pencil the insulation.
I would think that following the manufacturers instructions for installation would apply in the code and that would go for any untrained bipeds that might try to install it wrong.
I will take a little trip to the wire manufacturers site and go see what they say.

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
From Southwire's Installation and Application Guide for 600 volt Conductors.
When terminating aluminum conductors, there are several practices one should be aware of to ensure a
quality connection that will remain trouble free.
1) Always use a connector that is listed for use with aluminum wire.
2) The following is recommended but not required. Always follow the connector manufacturer?s
instructions
a. The surface of the conductor should be wire-brushed to break any aluminum oxide
barrier leaving a clean surface for the connection.
b. The use of anti-oxidant compound, joint compound, is not required unless the
connector?s manufacturer requires it. However, the use of a listed joint compound is
always a good practice.
3) Always tighten set-screw type connectors to the manufacturer?s recommended torque.
4) Most importantly, do not re-torque the terminations as part of routine maintenance. As
with copper conductors, repeated tightening of any set-screw connections can result in the
eventual ?biting? through the conductor causing the termination to fail.

brian john

Most importantly, do not re-torque the terminations as part of routine maintenance. As
with copper conductors, repeated tightening of any set-screw connections can result in the
eventual ?biting? through the conductor causing the termination to fail.

I have argued this position for years, especially the double set screw I have seen then driven through the conductor.

brian john said:
I have argued this position for years, especially the double set screw I have seen then driven through the conductor.

Hear, hear....and weep. Frequent cause of fires and smokes.

It is so counter-intuitive that people still have a hard time to believe. There are also self adjusting terminals that act in similar principle of the Belleville(sp?) washers and self-adjust the pressure.

It should be one of the electrical 10 Commandment: Thou shall not RE-torque thine terminals......:cool:

so far...

1. / Thou shall FEAR the POWER of electricity and HONOR it.

2. / Thou shall not modify XP enclosures in any manner, unless their maker had instructed so.

3. / Thou shall TEST before touch, so that thou?s days may be long and years numerous.

4./ Thou shall not RE-torque thine terminals......

5./ Thou shall not allow water and dust to enter into thine places of electricity.

quogueelectric

I contacted Alcan today and they are mailing me a wiremans installation guide for thier cable. It was too big for thier website to download. I will scan any pertinant info and post it when I get it

K8MHZ

Michigan. It's a beautiful peninsula, I've looked
Occupation
Electrician
Has anyone ever tried Sil-Glide? (Maybe Sil-Glyde)

I have a tube of it but now the company only advertises it in gallon size and up.

They do have this now:

http://www.agscompany.com/products.php?line=5&category=19&subcat=99&product=256

Caig De-Oxit is great for working with corroded connectors:

http://www.caig.com/

I have used Oxy-Gard (sp?) with no problems so far. Sorry, I couldn't find a link.

I have looked at this stuff too for CU and steel connections (automotive) and think it shows some promise.

http://www.permatex.com/products/Au...ts/Permatex_Copper_Anti-Seize_Lubricant_b.htm

In the power plants we are required to use an anti-oxidant on many connectons. I think the product they supplied was NoAlOx.

mivey

quogueelectric said:
I contacted Alcan today and they are mailing me a wiremans installation guide for thier cable. It was too big for thier website to download. I will scan any pertinant info and post it when I get it
In the meantime, you could look here (note the brush then de-ox step):
http://www.cable.alcan.com/NR/rdonlyres/C2B0929E-3D80-4944-9AEE-4AEADD35C1B5/0/InstallingALBuildingWireECMArticle32007.pdf

and here

http://www.cable.alcan.com/NR/rdonlyres/5BC2F12A-902F-493C-B881-060BADDECB0B/0/RecommendationsforConnectors.pdf

brian john

I am against constant re-tightening. Properly install the conductors, IR after installation and sufficient load. The IR regularly. If there is a thermal issue remake the connection.

ItsHot

noalox

noalox

brian john said:
I am against constant re-tightening. Properly install the conductors, IR after installation and sufficient load. The IR regularly. If there is a thermal issue remake the connection.
So Brian, what is your take on products like Noalox?

cschmid

if you are doing services in the residential and in small businesses area noalox and a torque wrench should be part of the tools required to do the job..it is here even though most do not use the torque wrench..it only takes few minutes more to do the job correctly..

sparky59

cschmid said:
if you are doing services in the residential and in small businesses area noalox and a torque wrench should be part of the tools required to do the job..it is here even though most do not use the torque wrench..it only takes few minutes more to do the job correctly..

I always use a torque wrench. I have such super human strength that i am prone to thread stripping. I am also a firm believer in no-ox. I even squirt it inside my wirenuts for wet locations.

brian john

So Brian, what is your take on products like Noalox?

No harm no foul, we seldom see aluminum terminations without some sort of NO OX. Does it hurt I would thing NOT, does it help, not sure,

It does make a mess.
It does stain.
Do not get carried away with it a little goes a long way.*
I always use NO OX on ground terminations to buffed steel connections.

Other than that I never use AL except for temporary (after blow ups) and usually for this temp we use multi strand.

* I have never seen this but an IR thermographer told me he saw a NO OX (not sure of the brand) connections that was breaking down from a flow of excessive NO OX between the connector and ground. And like a lot of things I thing I'll try that Monday and never get to it.

Status
Not open for further replies.