Panel in closet

Status
Not open for further replies.

RESI

Hello to all- I have a house in Virginia that has an old fuse style main panel located in a closet. I want to replace the fused panel with a breaker panel with main breaker. The current panel has closet is 31 inches wide and has a height of 91 inches. The new breaker panel door will be able to be opened 180degrees. None of the lighting and receptacles circuits are grounded. My questions:

1. Can I install the new breaker panel back in the closet?
2. Do I have to do anything about ground circuits?
3. What else might I have to do to pass inspection?
4. What code cycle is VA in?

Thanks to all who answer!

growler

I would think that the only way you can leave that panel in the closet is if the local AHJ grandfathers it in ( is willing to consider this as a repair ).

Call your local inspection department and tell them you are going to change out the fuse panel as a repair and permitted as a repair and see if they will agree to let it stay where it is.

If I were you I would try to get the panel out of the closet. Even if they agree to let it stay where it is then it can still come back to haunt you. If the house is ever to be sold a home inspector will list this as a concern.

Volta

Do you have 36" from the front of the panel to the opposite wall?

I would look for every other possible location for a new panel and use this as a junction box.

mcclary's electrical

I've done a few of these in VA,We're on '05. It's not uncommon to see them in a closet space under the stairs. Is there 36" in front of the panel? If there is, you'll be ok in most jurisdictions. The code reads "clothes closet" So if there are no provisions for hanging clothes, ro clothes rod, no shelves,,,,,then you don't have a clothes closet, you have an electrical closet.

david luchini

Staff member
Occupation
Engineer
I've done a few of these in VA,We're on '05. It's not uncommon to see them in a closet space under the stairs. Is there 36" in front of the panel? If there is, you'll be ok in most jurisdictions. The code reads "clothes closet" So if there are no provisions for hanging clothes, ro clothes rod, no shelves,,,,,then you don't have a clothes closet, you have an electrical closet.

I agree with your general point, except that the code doesn't read "clothes closet." The code says OCPD "shall not be located in the vicinity of easily ignitible material, such as in clothes closets." So, not just clothes, but any easily ignitible material

kwired

Electron manager
About the only thing that will prevent you from putting a panel in a closet is 110.26 - working spaces and 240.24(D) - Not in Vicinity of Easily Ignitible Material.

If you can meet both of these requirements then you can put the panel there in most cases.

It is usually hard to comply with 110.26 in a closet because the entire closet is generally considered a storage space. If it is a large closet and you are installing the panel so it is behind the entry door when opened then you have a space that most likely will never have anything placed there that will violate 110.26.

We all install panels in "electrical closets" all the time. Then we come back some time later to do other work and find the "closet" was a convenient place for the owner to store things and can't even get to the panel to turn off a breaker. But this seems to happen no matter where a panel is installed. In a dwelling do not put a receptacle below the panel located in a mechanical room, if you ever come back there is likely to be a freezer located in front of the panel - put the receptacle where you would like to see the freezer placed.

Jim W in Tampa

As been said first can you meet 110.26 ,if you can then remove shelves and rods and everything out of closet. You will need a light.
However both you and the inspector knows you will use it for storage after it passes.
That is not his problem if empty at inspection.
Take the smart way out and ask him first.
I would move it if there is a reasonable way to do so.
Do hope he agrees its a repair or he could try to make you use afci.

mcclary's electrical

I agree with your general point, except that the code doesn't read "clothes closet." The code says OCPD "shall not be located in the vicinity of easily ignitible material, such as in clothes closets." So, not just clothes, but any easily ignitible material

What's ignitable in an EMPTY 31" X 36" space"?

480sparky

Better keep it out of the basement (cardboard boxes, paint cans), garage (cans of gasoline, motor oil), and let's not put it in any finished areas inside the house (carpet, drapes, etc.). Hmmm. I guess that leaves outside, unless there's a drought and the grass has turned brown.

RESI

Do you have 36" from the front of the panel to the opposite wall?

I would look for every other possible location for a new panel and use this as a junction box.

Volta- There is no door on the closet, so there is way more than 36" to the far wall of the room.

Jim W in Tampa

Sparky- The opposite wall is an outside wall. I suppose I could use the old panel as a junction box and install an outside rated panel. Thanks

i would rather see it inside. If there is a spot in front 30 inches wide and 36 inches in front of panel and 6 feet 6 inches high and a light then your past 110.26
but lets be serious ,nobody leaves a room like that empty

I see no reason the panel cannot be located in the closet as long as:

1. There is no storage in this small space.
2. There is no 'ignitable' stuff in the closet.
3. you meet the requirements of 110.26(A)
Optional
4. Take photographs of the finished work for dealing with the issues that may pop up later - it is a form of insurance.

It is about time people start understanding, it is what the code requires, not 'What they think it say'.

I can see there are some here who do understand what is and is not required. I think it is relatively simple.;):D

Status
Not open for further replies.