Panelboards in Bedrooms

Status
Not open for further replies.

al hildenbrand

Occupation
Electrical Contractor, Electrical Consultant, Electrical Engineer
The purpose of a wire is to carry current, so it meets the definition of device.
Ok.
I can imagine that a branch circuit conductor is a Device (Art. 100).
Even with conductors being devices, to say that "a panel is a device, not an outlet" is still an incomplete answer that by itself is wrong.
A receptacle is a device, and it is a Receptacle Outlet.
If Premesis Wiring (System) conductors are soldered to Utilization Equipment conductors, there is an Outlet, and, as Chris states, a Device is present in the form of the "electrical system" conductors.

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
Al, we both remember this thread don't we. ;)

Now, what ever argument you may try to use as your back up, a panel would not be required to be AFCI protected unless it was only served with a 125 volt 15 or 20 amp branch circuit, which would be hard to do since by definition, it would be served with a feeder and probably a L-L feeder at that.

You want try for a 800 post thread? :D (Just kidding)

Roger

al hildenbrand

Occupation
Electrical Contractor, Electrical Consultant, Electrical Engineer
Would a panel be considered an outlet. Would it have to be all on arcfault. Even the feeder!
Roger, I agree with you that the AFCI protection of the feeder to a panel in a bedroom location falls outside of the limits of 210.12, with the unusual exception of a panel on a 15 or 20 Amp 125 Volt feeder.

However, given the Definitions of:
  1. Premesis Wiring (System)
  2. Controller
  3. Outlet
A circuit breaker (used as a Controller) has an Outlet present in it because the wiring internal to controllers is not part of the Premesis Wiring (System).

I conclude that a panel is a multioutlet assembly, some of which are 15 or 20 Amp 125 Volt, and therefore fall under 210.12(B) when the panel is inside the "living spaces" listed in 2008 NEC 210.12(B), or inside the bedroom for those jurisdictions enforcing the 2005 NEC.

Status
Not open for further replies.