Power to RV

Status
Not open for further replies.

TNGuy81

if this circuit is for an rv then it wont be 240 volt,it will be a 120 volt circuit with a four wire range receptacle,with the one hot tied to the 2 hot terminals on the receptacle and the ground and neutral in the coresponding terminals on the receptacle.

That is 100% wrong.. Explain a 4 wire 120 set up

480sparky

your gonna confuse him for sure,LOL,let him hook 240 volts to that rv and see what happens

Nah. If you've got a 2-pole breaker going to a NEMA-rated 120/240 4-wire receptacle, I'll bet 12? it will be 120/240volts at the receptacle.

Whether or not the RV needs 240volts is another matter.

arits74

Occupation
working owner electrician
That is 100% wrong.. Explain a 4 wire 120 set up
i just did ,call the rv dealer and ask him what voltage needs to be hooked to the rv and then get back to me.the receptacle has to be 4 wire but the circuit to the receptacle just needs to be 3 wires,ONE HOT TIED TO THE 2 HOT TERMINALS ON THE RECEPTACLE,THEN THE GROUND AND NEUTRAL ON THE CORESPONDING TERMINALS

ceb58

yea 240 volts outdoors is a great idea... Code or not thats stupid. Any outdoor receptacle is required GFI.. Find a article that proves me wrong.:cool: Those who cant teach... Only a hack would put that on an non- GFCI circuit.. Good luck with an inspector.

210.8(A) is a reference to a dwelling unit.. Applies how?

Your installing in onto some ones residents how dose it not apply?

That is a poor way for him to look at it and it is a bad habit for you to get into. If you are under the NEC without local amendments then the inspector must inspect to code. If he fails the install then he must give you a code reference to back himself up. No room for " I would like to see it this way, I would do it this way, or I just dont like it"

That's exactly what I am talking about. Your oppion no code reference to back it up.

That is why you have been beat up on this thread. It's not that we dont love you, we want you to succeed:D

Dude, you need to drop one of the beers from your profile. People are here to help each other. It is perfectly OK to go above and beyond but this is a code forum and code is what is discussed.

TNGuy81

[QUOTEONE HOT TIED TO THE 2 HOT TERMINALS ON THE RECEPTACLE,THEN THE GROUND AND NEUTRAL ON THE CORESPONDING TERMINALS][/QUOTE]

1. Hots pigtails is the only way to share a hot..
2. Bonding is a good idea with multiple recp. Not on a single rec.. or a subpanel.....................

the rv wont need 240 volts i can guarantee it

what>????????

Originally Posted by TNGuy81
210.8(A) is a reference to a dwelling unit.. Applies how?

outside is not a dwellnig unit............

Last edited:

480sparky

i just did ,call the rv dealer and ask him what voltage needs to be hooked to the rv and then get back to me.the receptacle has to be 4 wire but the circuit to the receptacle just needs to be 3 wires,ONE HOT TIED TO THE 2 HOT TERMINALS ON THE RECEPTACLE,THEN THE GROUND AND NEUTRAL ON THE CORESPONDING TERMINALS

Silly me. I never thought of calling an auto dealer for Code advice.

Teaspoon

[QUOTEONE HOT TIED TO THE 2 HOT TERMINALS ON THE RECEPTACLE,THEN THE GROUND AND NEUTRAL ON THE CORESPONDING TERMINALS]

1. Hots pigtails is the only way to share a hot..
2. Bonding is a good idea with multiple recp. Not on a single rec.. or a subpanel.....................

what>????????

outside is not a dwellnig unit............[/QUOTE]
20 amp RV Receptacle=20amp 120 volt
30 ampRV Receptacle=30amp 120volt
50amp RV Receptacle= 50 amp 240 volt

arits74

Occupation
working owner electrician
this says that an rv requires 240 volts,i have never seen one that did and i have hooked up many,just recently hooked up power for a large motor coach and the rep from the company was there with the customer,as soon as the rep seen what i was doing he came over and advised me that this coach only needed 120 volts.i assured him that this was not my first rodeo.by the way the coach had a 4 wire cord on it too!!!

ceb58

50 amp RV service can deliver approximately 12,500 watts (125 volts X 50 amps X 2) to the RV. Some people believe that the 50 amp RV receptacle is a "special" part. This is absolutely not true. In fact, it is a commonly available 50 amp, 250 volt receptacle. Unlike the 125 volt, 30 amp Travel Trailer receptacle, this one is used in many different 250 volt applications. It carries part number 14-50R. The matching plug is a number 14-50P.
There is a lot of misunderstanding about how MOST 50 Amp RV's are wired. Some of the larger bus type diesel pushers are all electric and in fact, do have 250 volt appliances in them. In that case, both sides of the 50 amp circuit are used to power those devices (just like your home) and those coaches MUST have 50 amp, 250V service in order to run things like the 250V stove, AC and the electric water heater. In the case of the rest of the 50 amp RV's, 250 volts is still supplied to the coach just like your home electrical service but typically one side of the line is used for all the 125 volt appliances except the rear AC and the other side is used for the rear AC only. The service coming into the RV is still 50 amp, 250 volts. Please note that all of the 50 amp RV's (at least in the US) use the SAME receptacle wired in the SAME way. If they didn't, they couldn't all plug into the same outlets at the RV park

What about this?

480sparky

this says that an rv requires 240 volts,i have never seen one that did and i have hooked up many,just recently hooked up power for a large motor coach and the rep from the company was there with the customer,as soon as the rep seen what i was doing he came over and advised me that this coach only needed 120 volts.i assured him that this was not my first rodeo.by the way the coach had a 4 wire cord on it too!!!

I don't see where it says the RVs require 240 volts. It only shows how to hook up a 120/240V 4-wire 50a receptacle for RVs to use.

Cavie

I got a guy needing power from his home to his RV. The conversation was brief (im going to look at it in the morning) but he needs a 50a recp on the outside of his house for power to the RV. Question is can I just mount the receptacle without building a service and is there a watertight type of bell box for this application? I am pulling power obviously from the main but am not sure if it needs disconnect on outside. Thanks a million

In answer to your question, the receptical is the disconect. An inuse bubble cover will work just fine. It will be weatherproof. A 2 gang box will make for an easier install. I installed a dozen of them at our concrete plant for welders.

TNGuy81

Hey I apologize to all for being a idiot last night. I know I have a lot to learn and a long way to go. I do appreciate all the knowledge from you guys. This is a "side project" and I am trying to help this guy out. Again I apologize for my conduct.

kevin

I got a guy needing power from his home to his RV. The conversation was brief (im going to look at it in the morning) but he needs a 50a recp on the outside of his house for power to the RV. Question is can I just mount the receptacle without building a service and is there a watertight type of bell box for this application? I am pulling power obviously from the main but am not sure if it needs disconnect on outside. Thanks a million

Install a 4-wire range receptacle (#279 Leviton) in a "deep" 2-gang Bell box, and a 3 1/4" (or deeper) bubble cover with a 2.156" hole for mounting the receptacle.

TNGuy81

Hey thanks Cavie and Kevin (all) for the info. I am not trying to argue or anything of that nature but I am still curious on this. If you look up GFCI in the NEC then scroll down to RV its show a requirement which is 210.8(3) for a 120v receptacle. Why is there not a requirement for a 240v receptacle? I just cant see the logic in it... All 120v outdoor receptacles have to be GFI protected why in the world do they not require 240v? What if some kid was playing with that it would be bad.

arits74,
on the 120/240v power for an RV look at 551.44(D)
Its not a must on the 240v. It just depends on the RV.

Figure 551.46(c) will show the receptacle.
And for someone as yourself whom has wired many RVs and are so anti GFCI..
Have a look at 551.40(C).

480sparky

First, 240v receptacles outside are few and far between.

Second, what are people plugging into those 'rare' 240v receps? Certainly not stuff they use every day outside like hedge cutters, string trimmers, leaf blowers, Non-Specific Religious Winter Holiday lights, engine block heaters, snowblowers, etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.