Pulling residential meters....

Status
Not open for further replies.

KevinVost

I think you would have to do a Arc flash analysis which requires the fault current of the transformer ahead of the service. There is a free analyzer in the free stuff area, but I believe it is for three phase.

Personally, gloves, shield, suit-the whole works (I don't know what the kil-cal rating would need to be, but the higher the better-if you can afford it).

Don't forget, the reason to go to work each day, is to come home safely that night.

(BTW, no hits for the left coast meet and greet)

iaov

I wear gloves and safety glasses and never pull one unless the main is off. I've watched the POCO guys pull them wearing about the same. The difference is the POCO guys don't seem to care if trhe main is off or not.:-?

KevinVost

Around here residential is limited to 10kaic.
Im thinking Oakleys:roll:

Is that for branch breakers or mains? Where I used to be, residential service 200A was fed of an overhead from a 500kva-750kva transformer and I believe the POCO calcs worked out to 500kva=22AIC and 750AIC=42000 for the main breaker (I could be wrong, its been a while).

zog

just curious, what is the correct PPE for pulling a meter
out of it's socket, with the main opened, of course....:D thanks. randy

NFPA 70E tables has this specific task, pulling revenue meters (KWH). The HRC for arc flash PPE is 2* and also requires rubber gloves with leather protectors.

HRC 2*=FR clothing (LS shirt and pants or covealls) rated at least 8cal/cm2 with hood or arc rated facesheild and balaclava, class E hard hat, safety glasses, hearing protection, leather gloves and shoes.

Last edited:

480sparky

My first question is why are you pulling the meter in the first place?

Unless it's an emergency, you're better off letting the POCO do it. Yanking meters nilly-willy may run you afoul of the law.

cowboyjwc

Staff member

Unless it's an emergency, you're better off letting the POCO do it. Yanking meters nilly-willy may run you afoul of the law.

The only thing the POCO does here is unlock the meter, if it is locked that is. Other than that, on a service change you pull it and you put it back.

480sparky

The only thing the POCO does here is unlock the meter, if it is locked that is. Other than that, on a service change you pull it and you put it back.

If it's a service change, by the time I need to remove it, it's deenergized. If it's one of the cheesy wire padlocks, I just cut them. If it's got a barrel lock, then I need to call the POCO as I don't have a key. Yet.

cowboyjwc

Staff member
If it's a service change, by the time I need to remove it, it's deenergized. If it's one of the cheesy wire padlocks, I just cut them. If it's got a barrel lock, then I need to call the POCO as I don't have a key. Yet.

No deenergizing here. You do the reconnect hot. Over heads aren't too bad, undergrounds can be a little trickyer since the utilitie wires are usually too short.

POCO didn't get by to unlock a meter one Friday, so when I got there on Saturday I was kind of PO'd and decided I didn't want to go back home so I decided to cut the lock off. That took me almost as long as the service change.

Fulthrotl

~Autocorrect is My Worst Enema.~

i had a 6 pack in an apartment complex burn up a 60 amp main breaker,
and the deadfront is a one piece thing that covers 3 of the meters on
one side of the 6 pack, and three on the others, with a center section
for the service entrance.

this thing is old and crusty, and while none of the meters have locking rings,
the service is old, and i've seen meters corroded into their sockets so badly
they break the meter socket when pulling them, which *really sucks* on a
hot meter... it's a bit too close to determining what the real current potential
of the poco's transformer is.

so, i call socal edison, and ask to have the meter unlocked and pulled, as it
is their meter, yada yada. the line patrolman comes out, and announces that
it is MY responsibility to pull the meter, edison will not pull the meter, and
unless their is a locking ring to be removed, which there wasn't, please don't
make her life difficult by asking for such things. then she hands me three
meter seals, and tells me to reseal the rings when i am done.

so much for tampering with the utility equipment.:D

i've gotta make them up a price to change all the main breakers, as they
have problems continuously. it's a hundred unit complex, so the ppe is going
to get worn all day.... just wondering about the ppe level...

an 11 calorie faceshild, hardhat, gloves with leathers, and a 8 calorie coverall
was what i wore, and i was just wondering....

maybe i should just get a bag of 500 seals from SCE so i won't have to bother
them with a call to reseal the meters......:D:D:D

480sparky

No deenergizing here. You do the reconnect hot. Over heads aren't too bad, undergrounds can be a little trickyer since the utilitie wires are usually too short........

I've heard many parts of the country where POCOs are deferring the disconnecting and reconnecting to the ECs. I wonder how many do so wearing proper arc flash protection.

i had a 6 pack in an apartment complex burn up a 60 amp main breaker,.........

6 apartment meters on a 60a main?????

......maybe i should just get a bag of 500 seals from SCE so i won't have to bother
them with a call to reseal the meters......:D:D:D

Zactly what I do. I get them from a lineman friend, a couple dozen at a time. Handful lasts me about a year. Saves the POCO a trip out just to lock it up. He's trying get embelish me with a barrel lock key as well.

Last edited:

Fulthrotl

~Autocorrect is My Worst Enema.~
I've heard many parts of the country where POCOs are deferring the disconnecting and reconnecting to the ECs. I wonder how many do so wearing proper arc flash protection.

6 apartment meters on a 60a main?????

Zactly what I do. I get them from a lineman friend, a couple dozen at a time. Handful lasts me about a year. Saves the POCO a trip out just to lock it up. He's trying get embelish me with a barrel lock key as well.

no, each apartment has a 60 amp main. there is NO main ahead of that,
just the service feeders. don't screw up and short out the meter socket.... :)

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
No deenergizing here. You do the reconnect hot. Over heads aren't too bad, undergrounds can be a little trickyer since the utilitie wires are usually too short.

POCO didn't get by to unlock a meter one Friday, so when I got there on Saturday I was kind of PO'd and decided I didn't want to go back home so I decided to cut the lock off. That took me almost as long as the service change.

dremmel tool is pretty quick :D

zog

Something I learned in the fire service: Never face a meter you're pulling; if possible, pull it with your back to it (side shoulder).

The reason is obvious: protecting your eyes, lungs, teeth, etc, even with a face shield & glasses, you can get nailed.

Unless you are wearing the proper PPE, the face sheild turns into an arc scoop if you turn your head away.

Status
Not open for further replies.