Pulling residential meters....

Status
Not open for further replies.

iaov

The POCO here does not mind me pulling meters or putting them back in. We only have the cheesy little wire locks so getting them out is no problem. I've got extras from linesmen so I can lock them back up again.

480sparky

The POCO here does not mind me pulling meters or putting them back in. We only have the cheesy little wire locks so getting them out is no problem. I've got extras from linesmen so I can lock them back up again.

Never have to contend with one of these brutes?

ElectricMeterWithLockRing.jpg

ZZZ

Our POCO won't allow anyone to pull or replace their meter except their employees. They just use leather gloves and sometimes safety glasses. God forbid you ever cut one of their seals.

Last edited:

electricalperson

when i was a helper i broke a glass meter by trying to removee one of those ring locks. some reason i kept twisting something until the glass shattered. then i tried to take the sawzall to the lock to no avail. cutting the band is so much easier as i learned the hard way. i might buy a key for this but i dont know what the rules are from the poco

ZZZ

Never have to contend with one of these brutes?

ElectricMeterWithLockRing.jpg

Wow, you must have some serious 'lectric theives there.

I saw a POCO guy unable to pull a corroded meter out, he went to the truck and came back with a 2' long 2x4. He smacked the meter at the rounded corner on the top with the edge of the board and it came loose.

480sparky

Wow, you must have some serious 'lectric theives there. .....

If you look close enough, it's a TXU meter..... TX for Texas. But the locks are common 'round here.

Once the POCO even suspects theft, they slap one of these penitentaries around the meter. Long after the suspect theif has moved out, the lock remains. I'd say probably 5% of the meters are locked in this or a similar fashion. Fact is, I've got one on my meter due to some low-life from an unknown time.

KevinVost

Our POCO won't allow anyone to pull or replace their meter except their employees. They just use leather gloves and sometimes safety glasses. God forbid you ever cut one of their seals.

Same thing here in Vegas, NV Energy is very touchy about thier meters.:roll:

If you look close enough, it's a TXU meter..... TX for Texas. But the locks are common 'round here.

Once the POCO even suspects theft, they slap one of these penitentaries around the meter. Long after the suspect theif has moved out, the lock remains. I'd say probably 5% of the meters are locked in this or a similar fashion. Fact is, I've got one on my meter due to some low-life from an unknown time.

I would say about 95% of the meters in Vegas have the "gold band", what everyone calls the POCO locks here. Once the POCO gets wind of an EOT they yank the meter and the only way to get power back is to hire a contractor (get a permit) to check the service. We got lots of 'lectric theives here :grin: which keeps us busy inspecting for a meter re-tag.

480sparky

Same thing here in Vegas, NV Energy is very touchy about thier meters.:roll:

I would say about 95% of the meters in Vegas have the "gold band", what everyone calls the POCO locks here. Once the POCO gets wind of an EOT they yank the meter and the only way to get power back is to hire a contractor (get a permit) to check the service. We got lots of 'lectric theives here :grin: which keeps us busy inspecting for a meter re-tag.

In Vegas, why would someone want to steal utility power? Why not just aim some PV towards Fremont Street or LVB and get free power all night long?
Em04.gif

Then there's these, too:

workstuff041-1.jpg

480sparky

Never. Just the little wire and plastic gizmo on the bottom of your brute. That looks like it would be awefully hard to get into.

They are. I was able to get a hold of one after a service changeout, and I spent two days in the garage with a chop saw and a bench grinder working my way down the the business innards of it. I was kinda hoping I could make my own key for them. Never did figure out how they work.

brian john

They are. I was able to get a hold of one after a service changeout, and I spent two days in the garage with a chop saw and a bench grinder working my way down the the business innards of it. I was kinda hoping I could make my own key for them. Never did figure out how they work.

It is not a key it is a wand...A MAGIC WAND...Even with your brilliance it may be beyond your skill level. Contact Merlin.

480sparky

a bit of googling found this...

Products & Services:
Blind Hole Key
Edison lock key
Lock ring key
Meter key
Meter Lock Key
Ring lock key
Watt Meter Key

Brands:
Dwp
Southern California Edison
Watt Meter Key

i will investigate further and report back..... :D

I've seen the for sale on utility supply web sites, though. One had a 50-unit minimum order.
_emoticon__by_Blingie.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.