Pulling residential meters....

Status
Not open for further replies.

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
If the main disco is open, what on earth would explode from pulling a meter? :confused:
The line side is hot and you have no idea of the actual condition of the connections. The parts could break, a wire could pull out and any or a number of other things could happen. The use of that tool requires arc flash PPE based on the available fault current and the clearing time of the line side OCPD. Given that the clearing time is problably "never" the incident energy could be over 40 cal/sq. cm.

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
The line side is hot and you have no idea of the actual condition of the connections. The parts could break, a wire could pull out and any or a number of other things could happen.
Gotcha! Lot's to reconsider.

nomad-star-trek.jpg

"Must re-evaluate!"

mxslick

If the main disco is open, what on earth would explode from pulling a meter? :confused:

Larry, I'd say over 99% of all metering here is ahead of any main disconnect. The only way to kill power to the socket is to cut the drop. Which is waht I started to do after the second explosion.
As Don said, parts could break..that's what happened in both of my incidents, the first one was when the bolt behind the socket that held the top half of the can snapped, the can dropped onto the line lugs. The second time the meter was stuck and when I pulled it, the line lug support snapped off and hit the can.

Gotcha! Lot's to reconsider.

nomad-star-trek.jpg

"Must re-evaluate!"

That episode gave me nightmares for a week when I first saw it as a kid.. :D

Last edited:

K8MHZ

Michigan. It's a beautiful peninsula, I've looked
Occupation
Electrician
I have a black and white photo of a meter I would never consider trying to pull with the thing energized. The picture too big for the forum and I don't have it on PBucket yet. The gist of the pic is a meter practically being supported by SE cable, old nasty SE cable at that. The socket is an old timer that is the same diameter of the meter (as opposed to a Milbank enclosure). The wood the base is (was) screwed into has long since rotted away. The meter is still in service.

I am quite sure that one tug on the meter would rip the base right off the wall. That being the case, the screws meant to told the base in would then be floating around behind the live meter and socket just looking for a place to short the hot feeds to the base.

I have to thank all yall here on the forum. I used to brazenly pull meters, cut and reconnect drops, etc., with minimal or no PPE. Now, even pulling meters in newer bases, I wear gloves, shield, polyester free outer clothing and am picking up PPE as I can afford it. If I had not read this forum I would have no motivation to do so.

The days of 'real men don't wear PPE' are finally waning.

I think it sends a better message to the HOs when we wear PPE. Just getting them to wonder why we look like we expect an explosion when we work hot just may get more of them to keep their mitts out of stuff and call us instead.

zog

I have to thank all yall here on the forum. I used to brazenly pull meters, cut and reconnect drops, etc., with minimal or no PPE. Now, even pulling meters in newer bases, I wear gloves, shield, polyester free outer clothing and am picking up PPE as I can afford it. If I had not read this forum I would have no motivation to do so.

Yea! 1 down, about 50,000 to go :)

busman

Occupation
Master Electrician / Electrical Engineer
Yea! 1 down, about 50,000 to go :)

2 down. Even though we don't always agree, I've been converted since I joined the forum 5 years ago. Used to be I couldn't even spell PPE. Now I have more than I know what to do with.

Thanks to all,

Mark

mxslick

Make it 3....I don't work anything unless tested and verified dead and grounded, or else I get the proper PPE or another qualified person to do it...

USMC1302

I know there are some firefighters on this forum too. What does your dept do as far as pulling meters for a structure? We have one of the tools that was depicted, but fortunately have not had to use it much. But, the Poco isn't always johnny-on-the -spot. Personally, if we have to do it and I'm on scene, I want to be the one who does it.

PetrosA

So is arc flash prevention behind the newer type of meter socket that I'm seeing around here with the cover door that closes over the meter itself? It would make sense, since you can do a visual inspection before removing the meter and actually pulling it won't create contact between the lugs and meter socket housing.

480sparky

So is arc flash prevention behind the newer type of meter socket that I'm seeing around here with the cover door that closes over the meter itself? It would make sense, since you can do a visual inspection before removing the meter and actually pulling it won't create contact between the lugs and meter socket housing.

That, or it's cheaper for the POCO to use ringless meters because they supply the rings.

dalesql

I know there are some firefighters on this forum too. What does your dept do as far as pulling meters for a structure? We have one of the tools that was depicted, but fortunately have not had to use it much. But, the Poco isn't always johnny-on-the -spot. Personally, if we have to do it and I'm on scene, I want to be the one who does it.
Back when I was doing firefighting, (mid 90s) You pulled the meter wearing your regular turnout gear. (Heavy FR coat, nomex baclava, helmet and gloves, face did remain exposed, unless the smoke was bad enough to justify SCBA.) They did train us to face away from the meter when pulling it. Plan B was a long fiberglass pole with remotely operated cable cutter on the end of it to cut wires at the pole. Plan C was to switch to exterior supression only once victim search was completed, if building was heavily involved.
In all cases, if the breaker panel was accessable, turn off all available breakers before yanking meter.

If the fire was small, say confined to a single room and contents, then may just turn off all the breakers at the panel after fire was under control. During the post-fire overhaul, pulling out live wires would be considered a bad thing.
Generally, once the on-scene commander confirms actual fire, dispatch would automatically call the electric utility to disconnect power at the pole, and call the gas company to come deal with any gas service.

This is all based on 15 year old memories, and I'm sure practices have changed since then.

cowboyjwc

Staff member
POCO comes by the house yesterday to install a new meter (whole other story). I meet the guy at the house, he's wearing shorts and a short sleeve shirt, he walks in the back yard grabs the old meter and unplugs it and then plugs in the new meter. Both while under load. So much for trained professionals. I on the other hand took a few steps back and turned my head.:smile:

480sparky

POCO comes by the house yesterday to install a new meter (whole other story). I meet the guy at the house, he's wearing shorts and a short sleeve shirt, he walks in the back yard grabs the old meter and unplugs it and then plugs in the new meter. Both while under load. So much for trained professionals. I on the other hand took a few steps back and turned my head.:smile:

You can't force some people to be smart. :cool:

Status
Not open for further replies.