Residential garage recptacles

Status
Not open for further replies.

HoosierSparky

Senior Plans Examiner, MEP
Occupation
Senior Plans Examiner
I am most probably wrong, I was a building inspector, but I thought I remember reading that under the 2014 NEC GFCI receptacles are required for each car space. I just can't find it in the book. Am I having another senior moment? :?

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
Here is the article

(G) Basements, Garages, and Accessory Buildings. For
a one-family dwelling, at least one receptacle outlet shall be
installed in the areas specified in 210.52(G)(1) through (3).
These receptacles shall be in addition to receptacles required
for specific equipment.
(1) Garages. In each attached garage and in each detached
garage with electric power. The branch circuit supplying
this receptacle(s) shall not supply outlets outside of the
garage. At least one receptacle outlet shall be installed for
each car space.

rcarroll

I posted this question a couple of months ago & it was decided that due to the definition of outlet, a duplex would not suffice.
A receptacle outlet in 2 different boxes are required & don't have to be located in each car space to meet the requirement.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
IMO the wording for the code minimum is quite clear in the code section in post #3, a two car garage needs one duplex anywhere within the garage, a four car garage 2-duplex receptacles, etc.

I posted this question a couple of months ago & it was decided that due to the definition of outlet, a duplex would not suffice.
A receptacle outlet in 2 different boxes are required & don't have to be located in each car space to meet the requirement.

Interesting. :D

James L

Occupation
Electrician

IMO the wording for the code minimum is quite clear in the code section in post #3, a two car garage needs one duplex anywhere within the garage, a four car garage 2-duplex receptacles, etc.

Interesting. :D

I would think that a technical definition of "outlet" would be in order. Isn't a 4-gang box full of duplex receptacles considered to be one receptacle outlet?

Outlet seems to refer to the box, not what's mounted in it.

dterp4ia

I agree that a duplex receptacle located in the middle can service both cars.
Being that is is stated a receptacle outlet by outlet definition I would tend to disagree and say that you would need one opening per stall to be located somewhere in the garage in accordance with the AHJ.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
Here's the Article 100 definition, is a duplex receptacle one point or two points? Putting two single receptacles in two boxes right next to each other in lieu of a duplex in one box seems silly to me. :)

Outlet. A point on the wiring system at which current is
taken to supply utilization equipment.

James L

Occupation
Electrician
Here's the Article 100 definition, is a duplex receptacle one point or two points? Putting two single receptacles in two boxes right next to each other in lieu of a duplex in one box seems silly to me. :)

The official definition doesn't specify whether the box or the device constitutes an outlet. But a light fixture box constitutes an outlet, and there is no device there (usually).

and with the garage code specifically mentioning receptacle AND outlet, I would consider them mutually exclusive in definition.

that's why I think a technical definition is in order, because the official one is not specific enough

kwired

Electron manager
I would think that a technical definition of "outlet" would be in order. Isn't a 4-gang box full of duplex receptacles considered to be one receptacle outlet?

Outlet seems to refer to the box, not what's mounted in it.
How many outlets do you have if you've got a six foot Plugmold strip with eight single receptacle modules installed in it? What if it is supplied by a multiwire branch circuit with half of the receptacle modules on each half of the MWBC? How about a single duplex supplied with a MWBC?

The official definition doesn't specify whether the box or the device constitutes an outlet. But a light fixture box constitutes an outlet, and there is no device there (usually).

and with the garage code specifically mentioning receptacle AND outlet, I would consider them mutually exclusive in definition.

that's why I think a technical definition is in order, because the official one is not specific enough

A surface mounted luminaire with no "outlet box" still has a "lighting outlet" somewhere either in the luminaire or at least the point of entry of supply conductors.

Status
Not open for further replies.