Residential Wiring with nonmetallic sheathed cable (Romex)

Status
Not open for further replies.

al hildenbrand

Occupation
Electrical Contractor, Electrical Consultant, Electrical Engineer
Rob,

I know you're just overlooking this. . .
Installation #1

. . . Five conductors are needed from the switch box to the appliance - one common white neutral conductor, and four switch-loops for the heater, fan, 100-watt light, and 7-watt night light. An equipment ground wire will be included.

fireryan

Just use 4 wire NM cable. Blk, Red, Blu, Wht + grn. IMO you cannot run the neutral in one cable and the switch legs in another. As 220/221 suggested two 14/3's may work if the neutrals in the unit can be separated. You cannot connect the neutrals together on both ends.

what is the danger of connecting the neutrals together?

220/221

300.20 says that "All phase conductors shall be grouped together."

One 14/3 has two switch legs and a neutral, all grouped together in the same cable.

The other 14/3 has two switch legs and a neutral, all grouped together in the same cable.

As long as the neutral is in the same cable as the hot(s), it is compliant. The code doesn't address an additional available path.

That's my story and I'm sticking to it (unless proven wrong)

There is no danger.

al hildenbrand

Occupation
300.20 says that "All phase conductors shall be grouped together."
This phrase doesn't apply, here.

Look at the heading for 300.20. 300.20 is concerned with metal raceway and metal enclosures.

The question in the OP is about NM and nonmetallic enclosures (with the exception of the jbox on the four switch leg fan).

In the fan jbox 300.20(B) allows the grouping to occur with the use of cuts.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
Installation #1
By NEC code, can one 14/3 and one 14/2 Romex cable be used from the switch box to the appliance (no conduit) for the five conductors needed; or must five-single conductors be installed in conduit for the appliance?

One 14/3 and one 14/2 will work however if they are not run together then you may some unwanted emf issues. For some reason the NEC is not concerned about this. Running the cables close together will eliminate the EMF's. Others have stated the issue with the two ko's in a metal enclosure.

Installation #2
A ceiling fan with light will be installed on a 120-volt/15amp lighting circuit. The 120-volt line will run from the panel to a double-gang nonmetallic box containing two 3-way switches, then the wiring will run to another double-gang nonmetallic box containing two more 3-way switches, then the wiring will continue and end at the ceiling fan with light.
The conductors needed between the two double-gang boxes are four travelers and one common white neutral conductor - an equipment ground wire is included. By NEC code can on 14/3 and one 14/2 Romex cable be used between the two double-gang boxes to provide the five conductors needed; or must five-single conductors be installed in conduit between the two double-gang boxes?
Again the NEC allows this installation however if they are not run together it will create unwanted EMF's.

realolman

I would run the hot and neutral to the appliance, and then the switch legs to the switch box.

I know that's not what the OP says, but thats what I would do.

jim dungar

Staff member
Occupation
PE (Retired) - Power Systems
As long as the neutral is in the same cable as the hot(s), it is compliant. The code doesn't address an additional available path.

As Al said earlier, 310.4 says you can not parallel (electrically joined at both ends) conductors smaller than 1/0.

220/221

The question in the OP is about NM and nonmetallic enclosures (with the exception of the jbox on the four switch leg fan).

In the fan jbox 300.20(B) allows the grouping to occur with the use of cuts.

I am lost.

The questions in th OP were:

can one 14/3 and one 14/2 Romex cable be used from the switch box to the appliance

and

can on 14/3 and one 14/2 Romex cable be used between the two double-gang boxes to provide the five conductors

I can't find any question re: a single conductor and cuts/notches or whatever.

I think you guys are just trying to confuse the poor guy :rolleyes:

As Al said earlier, 310.4 says you can not parallel (electrically joined at both ends) conductors smaller than 1/0.

Well....I wish he would have just said that :) I stopped reading at "conductors larger than 1/0". I don't think that this scenario was the intention of the code, but I now see what you are talking about .

Last edited:

220/221

"Conductors sized 1/0 and larger are premitted to be run in parallel".

It should have said

"ONLY conductors sized 1/0 and larger shall be permitted to be connected in parallel"

People like me could then understand it :rolleyes:

jeremysterling

Just use 4 wire NM cable. Blk, Red, Blu, Wht + grn. IMO you cannot run the neutral in one cable and the switch legs in another. As 220/221 suggested two 14/3's may work if the neutrals in the unit can be separated. You cannot connect the neutrals together on both ends.

Not real dangerous, just a code violation (sorry wife just mopped floor and I cant get to the code book for the reference). I try to avoid parallel conductors under 1/0AWG.

But Installation #1 needs 4 switch legs and one neutral... 5 conductors plus ground.

Who puts the 7W night light on a switch leg?

gndrod

Factors not mentioned

Factors not mentioned

Hi gsassari,
Specialization in residential takes on unique exceptions and require more consideration that affects the NEC rule portion of the total construction picture. (I.e. energy & mechanical codes) Installation #2 using a 14-3 and 14-2 is acceptable under the [404.2(A)] switch loop exception. This is done by dead-ending both cables and painting the common white insulators black at the remote 2gg. The power 2gg switch box feeds the ceiling fan & light with a 14-3 cable.
The Installation #1 bathroom example needs additional information. Besides the NEC code concerns, knowing the 3w/sf, operable window and vanity lighting will affect the realistic electrical hookups. The bathroom will require both artificial light and mechanical venting in parallel per the IRC R303.3 requirement. This would remove one conductor thus making the 5 conductor question mute. Mentioning the heat size will also help resolve load capacity of the circuits. Usually a combined 250w lighting/IR clear lamp saves additional energy consumption in lieu a resistant element type load. Energy conservation codes (I.e. CA, WA, NY, FL...etc) also dictate Sensor and timer functions that will change your installation setup as it is stated.

These type of considerations are overlooked on occasion that plan specifications would best save cost to the project.

Welcome to the MH forum. rbj

Last edited:

al hildenbrand

Occupation
I can't find any question re: a single conductor and cuts/notches or whatever.
In my mind, the question is raised by noting that the fan jbox is made of metal. When running two cables, the neutral is going to be in only one cable. All that's necessary to create the situation addressed in 300.20(B) is to turn on only one of the switched legs to the fan/light/heat/night light, a switched leg in the other cable. . . then there are individual conductors going through the metal jbox KOs.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
Just run 2 - 14/3 nm cables and all those troubles go away. Now if they only made those darn jb's big enough to meet code life would be wonderful. :smile:

iwire

Staff member
"Conductors sized 1/0 and larger are premitted to be run in parallel".

It should have said

"ONLY conductors sized 1/0 and larger shall be permitted to be connected in parallel"

I agree with you, Don put in a good proposal to change that section but it was shot down.

al hildenbrand

Occupation
I agree with you, Don put in a good proposal to change that section but it was shot down.
I'm sad to hear that. I mutter and grumble about 310.4 every time I contemplate a Chicago threeway.

Status
Not open for further replies.