Sacred Cows...

Status
Not open for further replies.

emahler

it's amazing how many people in this industry have a sacred cow that's untouchable......until we are willing to sacrifice our sacred cows for the good of the industry, it'll never get better...

iwire

Staff member
emahler said:
it's amazing how many people in this industry have a sacred cow that's untouchable......until we are willing to sacrifice our sacred cows for the good of the industry, it'll never get better...

Don't forget to look in the mirror. :grin:

'Cause the message I am getting from you is this.

When it's you it is consistancy, when it's others they are all stuck in rut.

emahler

iwire said:
Don't forget to look in the mirror. :grin:

'Cause the message I am getting from you is this.

When it's you it is consistancy, when it's others they are all stuck in rut.

nah...not at all...it's about mixed messages...not about general philosophy...

ceknight

emahler said:

It's not that amazing, really.

What is amazing is that you'd toss that out as a general-level troll instead of honing in on a specific one or two that you'd like to comment on. :)

emahler

ceknight said:
It's not that amazing, really.

What is amazing is that you'd toss that out as a general-level troll instead of honing in on a specific one or two that you'd like to comment on. :)

blaming the new guys for cutting the pricing in the industry, while giving the old timers who never taught them, or who themselves keep the pricing artificially low, a general pass because "that's business"

or

being in favor of higher wages and benefits for your group...but having no problem with someone from your group working illegally and cutting the throat of a legitimate, licensed contractor who's not part of your group..

or

wanting to improve the industry, but not being willing to teach your employees what you know...because then they will go out on their own and become competition...

or

talking about how we should unite as an industry and improve our lives, then ridiculing and deriding every group who is currently attempting to do that (Nexstar, ESI, the unions, etc)

or..shall I go on?

the point is, if you are for or against something, be consistent...

growler

emahler said:

I don't mind sacrificing my downer cattle so that you can enjoy your hamburgers but some of the herd are still able to walk and I have grown quite fond of them. :grin: :grin:

emahler

growler said:
I don't mind sacrificing my downer cattle so that you can enjoy your hamburgers but some of the herd are still able to walk and I have grown quite fond of them. :grin: :grin:

that's exactly what i'm talking about:D

ceknight

emahler said:
or..shall I go on?

the point is, if you are for or against something, be consistent...

That at least gives us something to work with, maybe.

Not that it really matters, but I wouldn't call any of your examples "sacred cows". They're mostly just prima facie inconsistent attitudes or opinions. They may not actually be inconsistent, whether they are might depend more on what level you examine them and in how much detail you go. It will also depend on how good you are at critical reflection.

Most folks have inconsistent beliefs and attitudes at some level. And yes, sometimes those get in the way of clear thinking. But you'll never tackle a problem like that at any level beyond the individual -- there's simply no industry-wide (or forum-wide) remedy because hitting it at that general a level you'll lose the specific detail that makes any remedy effective. At best you'll engage in stereotyping, and at that point you'll lose your audience.

Go back and re-read a few of those tedious threads on Sidework and you'll see what I mean: Not everyone uses the word "sidework" in the same way, (for some, all sidework is evil. For others, some sidework is legitimate, legal work, etc) and when you try to discuss the practice using the broad topic of "sidework", you find all sorts of instances where people just talk past each other because they're talking about different situations and different practices. No one comes away from a discussion like that any more enlightened than they were coming into it. And that's because at the general level it has been stripped of the detail that would bring any sort of enlightenment to anyone.

Etc, etc....I'll just stop there and hope something I've said makes sense and is relevant to your topic. :)

emahler

ceknight said:
That at least gives us something to work with, maybe.

Not that it really matters, but I wouldn't call any of your examples "sacred cows". They're mostly just prima facie inconsistent attitudes or opinions. They may not actually be inconsistent, whether they are might depend more on what level you examine them and in how much detail you go. It will also depend on how good you are at critical reflection.

Most folks have inconsistent beliefs and attitudes at some level. And yes, sometimes those get in the way of clear thinking. But you'll never tackle a problem like that at any level beyond the individual -- there's simply no industry-wide (or forum-wide) remedy because hitting it at that general a level you'll lose the specific detail that makes any remedy effective. At best you'll engage in stereotyping, and at that point you'll lose your audience.

Go back and re-read a few of those tedious threads on Sidework and you'll see what I mean: Not everyone uses the word "sidework" in the same way, (for some, all sidework is evil. For others, some sidework is legitimate, legal work, etc) and when you try to discuss the practice using the broad topic of "sidework", you find all sorts of instances where people just talk past each other because they're talking about different situations and different practices. No one comes away from a discussion like that any more enlightened than they were coming into it. And that's because at the general level it has been stripped of the detail that would bring any sort of enlightenment to anyone.

Etc, etc....I'll just stop there and hope something I've said makes sense and is relevant to your topic. :)

no, i agree...i just couldn't think of a better term than 'sacred cow'...but it really is just individual persons sacred cows...

peter d

iwire said:
Both have a 'looking for trouble quality about them'.

Perhaps, but if "trouble" means challenging conventional wisdom and the status quo, then bring it on. This industry needs a good shove away from where it's heading. :)

growler

emahler said:
i just couldn't think of a better term than 'sacred cow'...but it really is just individual persons sacred cows...

You only wish to sacrifice cows, if you wanted to beat dead horses you could really stir up a hornets nest. :grin: :grin:

iwire

Staff member
peter d said:
Perhaps, but if "trouble" means challenging conventional wisdom and the status quo, then bring it on. This industry needs a good shove away from where it's heading. :)

Pete I think there is a difference between challenging conventional wisdom and just pushing peoples buttons for sport.

It is my personal opinion that emahler's threads fall somewhere in between. :)

mdshunk

iwire said:
I agree, and I suspect that E would too, but it needs to be done at some level. Anything that stimulates thought, and not discontent, is a good thing.

emahler

iwire said:
Pete I think there is a difference between challenging conventional wisdom and just pushing peoples buttons for sport.

having seen your picture, i can definitively say that you are smarter than you look:D

Status
Not open for further replies.