Speed Check

Status
Not open for further replies.

ElectricianJeff

ItsHot said:
$6500??? no wonder you are hurrying! Will you show a profit at this price?:-?

Yes...........I took on this project to give me a base line on new homes to see if I could compete with the guys that do these everyday. This is a totally new thing for me and I had to start somewhere. I have learned alot from this project and I have learned alot from both doing and tracking it along with the valuable input from this forum. The education has great value to me and investing alittle over a week to get a better grip on running a successful and profitable buisness is in my mind is a good return on my investment.

What I've learned, so far:

If I am going to do new homes I need to find ways to be faster at it.

I really need to stick with my bread and butter of upgrades, repairs and troubleshooting.

The guys that are doing these homes would be better off flipping burgers or watching Oprah.

Thanks again

peter d

ElectricianJeff said:
Keep in mind this is T&M and i'm not done yet but I think the final will be around $6,500. Keep in mind we have roapers in town that would be in the 4800-5200 dollar range. I just can't see how they do it.

I would have subbed them out to do the work at their price, charged $6500 for it, spend a few hours to check their work and fix any mistakes, and call it a day.

ElectricianJeff

peter d said:
Oh no....you're one of those people who uses a minimum of #12 for everything. :roll:

:D

Not me but the inspector is:cool:

First words out of his mouth were "You did only use #12 and larger?"

Second question was "Do you have any hidden junction boxes?" I found this one kinda funny and replied "and just where would I hid them?"

Three more steps into the house and he turned and said "Well, it looks like you know what your doing" and he left.

I guessed I passed:confused:

electricalperson

ElectricianJeff said:
Not me but the inspector is:cool:

First words out of his mouth were "You did only use #12 and larger?"

Second question was "Do you have any hidden junction boxes?" I found this one kinda funny and replied "and just where would I hid them?"

Three more steps into the house and he turned and said "Well, it looks like you know what your doing" and he left.

I guessed I passed:confused:
why the number 12 or larger? is it a local code or a code an inspector made up?

stickboy1375

ElectricianJeff said:
I would of but that 3/0 was short pieces left over from service upgrades. I got $4.00/ft for that scrap:D

You wanna start making money, stop using copper and start using 4/0 SER AL for your services. just slap that stuff on the outside of a building and stop wasting time using pvc... :grin:

peter d

stickboy1375 said:
You wanna start making money, stop using copper and start using 4/0 SER AL for your services. just slap that stuff on the outside of a building and stop wasting time using pvc... :grin:

But it's subject to damage...it's dangerous...blah blah blah....:roll:

steelersman

stickboy1375 said:
Looks like he must have a disconnect switch on the outside since he's using a seperate ground for the service.

bbaumer

Part of the reason why the competition is so much cheaper may be that you are probably working for more than $7 per hour cash.

ElectricianJeff

peter d said:
Jeff, don't forget you're still on the hook to tell us why the inspector requires #12 minimum. Inquiring minds want to know. :)

Ok, back from dinner.

Neutral is taped white, GEC is taped green, both in panel and meter socket, just doesn't show in the pic. No outside disconnect, neutral and ground are bonded at meter can. Only one ground rod in case you are wondering.:wink: plastic plumbing, no rebar

#12 minimum pretty much required here on new construction...They tell me its a local amendment that I have never questioned.

Inspector also told me local amendment says no more than 8 outlets per circut. Since he only took 3 steps inside I guess he will never know.:cool:

Status
Not open for further replies.