Speed Check

Status
Not open for further replies.

peter d

ElectricianJeff said:
#12 minimum pretty much required here on new construction...They tell me its a local amendment that I have never questioned.

Inspector also told me local amendment says no more than 8 outlets per circut. Since he only took 3 steps inside I guess he will never know.:cool:

I would find out if these are real amendments from your town or local gov't. It might help your bottom line in the long run. :)

220/221

When I started in the trade in 1974, a two man crew (Journeyman and helper) would rough in 1200-1500' on slab tract houses at the rate of TWO A DAY including the 125 amp service.

Granted, there was no cable, no recessed lighting, no smokies, no ceilings over 8' and switched outlets in lieu of overhead lights and the phone company ran their wiring.....but still, we flat out roped some houses.

It wasn't that we worked so hard but everything was basically the same and we were efficient. The company was well organized and we always had the proper tools and equipment to do the job.

No prints were necessary because there were only 5 or so models in each tract. We only had to check and see which side the POCO wanted the service on.

Journeyman marks boxes while helper drills all the holes. Journeyman throws out boxes and starts pulling and stapling romex. Helper nails on boxes and starts making up the grounds on the receps while Jman does the more involved make up. Helper mounts and terminates cables in outside (underground) all in one service. (Trencher guy come buy and installs riser about 20 at a time)

At the end of that era, we would use the old school spider method in the houses with overhead lights. In the shop, we'd make up a 4sd bracket box/round ring with a switch loop and four hot pigtails about 15' long. Nail one up, drop the cables down to boxes, feed and jumper. Three bedrooms done in under an hour.

With all the pre fab commercial stuff I have been seeing, I assume the big resi guys have gone back to this method.

So.....Rough in, 8 hours, trim 3.2 hours

No wonder I don't like resi work.

The up side was that I learned a WHOLE lot quickly and was "Journeyman" in a few months :cool:

NOW, by the way, it takes me/us forever to wire a house. Our price is often double that of resi contractors so we don't do a lot of new residential.

Last edited:

220/221

Carlon however wasn't around in '74 so we still used a lot of metal boxes. We did have the bakelite nail ons that broke in a hundred peices when you hit them.

No plastic cut ins either.

We had to walk to work too. Uphill, in the snow....both ways.

220/221

You've been "snapping-in" for 35 years now...very impressive

I wonder how many houses I have burned down?

Probably not as many as you have with your exposed, unprotected SE cable.:rolleyes:

peter d

220/221 said:
Probably not as many as you have with your exposed, unprotected SE cable.:rolleyes:

Every house I wire with SE cable burns down the instant the service is energized. :cool:

Actually I like the bushings...but don't let the other guys hear that. ;)

windtech007

peter d said:
Just curious, do you have a local code amendment that requires a minimum of #12?

We run #12 to get away from voltage drop issues. Our inspector measures the actual length of conductor. One crew I worked with used #12 for the HR and the remainder in #14, we always passed.

iwire

Staff member
windtech007 said:
Our inspector measures the actual length of conductor.

Good for them, but what does that info mean?

There is nothing in the NEC about circuit length or how much voltage drop is allowed on residential circuits.

Status
Not open for further replies.