Two speed one winding motor troubleshooting advice

Status
Not open for further replies.

Besoeker

Yes as stamped on the nameplate: TEFC.
Unless the fan is damaged or the fins are unusually dirty, the shaft mounted fan should provide rated cooling. But that doesn't address the excessive current.
I'm still with it being a motor fault. And I'm still of the opinion that 152A no-load current is excessive despite what the motor shop claims.

kwired

Electron manager
I have not measured actual voltage on our two other normally functioning fan motors. I tend to believe though that the voltage at each of their respective output contactors is roughly 480 on all phases since they are fed from the same MCC as our problem motor.

I wish I could find a voltage drop, I could stop scratching my head.
I think voltage at motor end of the circuit is important to know

Not on a TEFC.
I think he meant the driven load....

Thought we had put than one to bed.
The current difference is seen uncoupled.
But we keep getting posts that ignore that fact.

GeorgeB

ElectroHydraulics engineer (retired)
Occupation
Retired
Whilst true, the OP has observed a 45A current difference with the motor uncoupled so unrelated to the gearbox.

In my world, electrohydraulics, a flat mounting surface and uniform proper torque (yeah, torque, I know) are necessary. A non-planar surface or significantly uneven torque will affect internal clearances to the point that sticking will occur.

On the test bench, all is fine. Installed, current is high and at least one bearing has failed.

Given all the great postings here, I'd check that the mounting surface is in a plane. The motor frame COULD be so distorted that abnormal bearing loads impose additional friction/loads.

Besoeker

In my world, electrohydraulics, a flat mounting surface and uniform proper torque (yeah, torque, I know) are necessary. A non-planar surface or significantly uneven torque will affect internal clearances to the point that sticking will occur.

On the test bench, all is fine. Installed, current is high and at least one bearing has failed.

Given all the great postings here, I'd check that the mounting surface is in a plane. The motor frame COULD be so distorted that abnormal bearing loads impose additional friction/loads.
Good points if I may say so, sir....:)
I wouldn't rule out a distorted motor frame causing a problem and, as you rightly point out, there has been a bearing failure in the past. That, if I recall correctly, is what got the motor to the repair shop in the first place. But I'm inclined to think that the amount of force to distort the frame might snap the feet off especially if it is a cast iron frame which is often the case.

And that still leaves the 152A measured on the shop test. Interesting problem, not that it helps the OP. It will be interesting to see what is concluded/discovered when the motor goes back to the shop.

phineascage

I wouldn't rule out a distorted motor frame causing a problem and, as you rightly point out, there has been a bearing failure in the past. That, if I recall correctly, is what got the motor to the repair shop in the first place. But I'm inclined to think that the amount of force to distort the frame might snap the feet off especially if it is a cast iron frame which is often the case.

And that still leaves the 152A measured on the shop test. Interesting problem, not that it helps the OP. It will be interesting to see what is concluded/discovered when the motor goes back to the shop.

Thank you all for the great troubleshooting advice. When I eventually get to the bottom of this problem I will post back here with the resolution.

kwired

Electron manager

A motor as large as what OP has probably doesn't distort too easily either, but at same time probably not impossible and deserves some consideration.

Russs57

Occupation
Maintenance Engineer
If I was in your shoes I would eliminate as many things as possible.

For example remove wiring, at motor, for T1, T2, and T3 and connect motor leads together there. Go back to high speed starter and directly connect L1 to T6 and so on. This way you are eliminating all starters and the smaller gauge wiring which short T1, T2, and T3 together. Might also loosen hold down bolts and check with feeler gauge to see if mounting plate is flat. I would have driveshaft off.

A few Polaris taps and a couple of feet of wire should suffice for a quick experiment. I’ll assume you have suitable OCP to allow such an experiment to be done safely.

Given the long term nature and the critical nature of the load I’d want a spare motor on hand anyway so maybe best to buy a new one and put reconditioned motor on the shelf.

phineascage

If I was in your shoes I would eliminate as many things as possible.

For example remove wiring, at motor, for T1, T2, and T3 and connect motor leads together there. Go back to high speed starter and directly connect L1 to T6 and so on. This way you are eliminating all starters and the smaller gauge wiring which short T1, T2, and T3 together. Might also loosen hold down bolts and check with feeler gauge to see if mounting plate is flat. I would have driveshaft off.

A few Polaris taps and a couple of feet of wire should suffice for a quick experiment. I’ll assume you have suitable OCP to allow such an experiment to be done safely.

Given the long term nature and the critical nature of the load I’d want a spare motor on hand anyway so maybe best to buy a new one and put reconditioned motor on the shelf.

Good idea. As soon as I can get some materials to do this with I will.

We're discussing a spare motor. It's an incredibly pricey animal though but looks like we definitely need one.

Ingenieur

did you ir all the motors looking for differences?
particularly the bearings
what is the temp bad vs good motor(s)?

were the other motors rebuilt? if so when

the lo speed is below rating 90 vs 100, although higher than the others

Jraef

Moderator, OTD
Staff member
Occupation
Electrical Engineer
Someone in another forum questioned the conductor size (#2) on the shorting circuit that goes to the 3rd contact, connected to 1, 2 &3. the contactor is supposed to be sized for a minimum of 50% of the current rating of the other contactors, because it is the Y point for half of the circuit (in high speed, it is two parallel Y winding sets, one set is already connected, the contactor connects the others). So with the FLA rating of the motor requiring 500MCM cable, the shorting circuit conductors should have been a minimum of 3/0, maybe 4/0 with VD. My thought is that someone erroneously sized those conductors for the Low Speed current, but in Low, those conductors don't even carry current. So what I think is happening is that the under sized conductors are creating a VD in that half of the 2Y windings, evidenced by the fact that the two sets of windings are not showing the same current, and they should be.

2_Speed_Torque_Star.PNG.jpg

kwired

Electron manager
Someone in another forum questioned the conductor size (#2) on the shorting circuit that goes to the 3rd contact, connected to 1, 2 &3. the contactor is supposed to be sized for a minimum of 50% of the current rating of the other contactors, because it is the Y point for half of the circuit (in high speed, it is two parallel Y winding sets, one set is already connected, the contactor connects the others). So with the FLA rating of the motor requiring 500MCM cable, the shorting circuit conductors should have been a minimum of 3/0, maybe 4/0 with VD. My thought is that someone erroneously sized those conductors for the Low Speed current, but in Low, those conductors don't even carry current. So what I think is happening is that the under sized conductors are creating a VD in that half of the 2Y windings, evidenced by the fact that the two sets of windings are not showing the same current, and they should be.

View attachment 20365
I was a little curious how this motor worked on each speed.

That should put 277 volts across each "coil" when in the "B" configuration and 138.5 volts across same coils when in "A" configuration. I guess what surprises me a little is that it can take that much voltage difference across the same coil, but maybe as long as driving a variable torque load you get away with that easier then with a constant torque load.

It seems they are just starving the coils for voltage when in low speed configuration and therefore less torque is produced and more slip occurs. Seems that nameplate low speed would only occur when driven load is at the low speed rating. Uncoupling the load completely would likely make it run much closer to high speed rating only load in that case is what it takes to keep the rotor itself turning, and it should be able to come much closer to synchronous speed with no external load applied. That said the rotor on a 250 HP motor is still going to take somewhat significant power to spin it compared to say the rotor of a 10 HP motor.

Ingenieur

this is how I thought a 2s1w worked

basically a split winding per phase

lo the windings are in series and form a delta

hi the windings are in parallel and form a wye

the lo contactor c1 carrys 100 a
the hi contactor c2 carries fla 290
the hi shorting contactor carries fla also (center of wye)

Attachments

• 530E05A2-516C-40E5-A494-67964508AE1E.jpg
    530E05A2-516C-40E5-A494-67964508AE1E.jpg
    8.2 KB · Views: 0

kwired

Electron manager
this is how I thought a 2s1w worked

basically a split winding per phase

lo the windings are in series and form a delta

hi the windings are in parallel and form a wye

the lo contactor c1 carrys 100 a
the hi contactor c2 carries fla 290
the hi shorting contactor carries fla also (center of wye)

Too small for me to read, enlarged your drawing to 250% but still a little hard to decipher some things because of poor resulution at that magnification.

But looks to me like when connected in delta each winding sees 240 volts across it. When in the parallel wye - same windings each see 277 volts across them. Wouldn't that give you close to same overall output, sort of like difference in applying 208 or 240 to a 208-240 volt motor, one will draw a little more current but speed and horsepower will otherwise be nearly the same.

Status
Not open for further replies.