Which one is right?

Status
Not open for further replies.

chris kennedy

Occupation
60 yr old tool twisting electrician
Both testers are in the same receptacle.

calibration002.jpg

gar

Occupation
EE
090215-0904 EST

chris:

The Greenlee is at the "right" hand side of the screen. So is that reading "right". I have no idea which one, if either, is reading a correctly.

SEO

I've had that problem with two identical testers. Sure makes you wonder. Could get them calibrated. Try a third tester.

growler

They may both be right. There may be a less than perfect connection with one of the meter leads ( resistance caused by arcing or corrosion ).

I would take both meters to the panel and see what they read and if there is a difference then use a third meter to decide. Then you check battery and lead connections.

I have had a couple of fluke meters that started to act up and I had to take them apart and clean the connections to the LCD display with contact cleaner and reassemble them and now they work just fine. I would guess that leaving them in the van where they can get hot and cold would lead to condensation and corrosion but I really don't know where it comes from I just know there was a bad connection. :smile:

chris kennedy

Occupation
60 yr old tool twisting electrician
Fresh batteries in each?

Both got new batteries a week or so ago.

090215-0904 EST

chris:

The Greenlee is at the "right" hand side of the screen. So is that reading "right".

Very clever Gordon.:roll:

This had me pretty aggravated last Monday. Al was doing a start up on some RTU's and calls me and says 'we have a problem, I have 190V phase to phase with no load'. I sent him down to the MDP and he gets the same results. This is a brand new 208y/120 service brought on line the Friday before.

Both testers are around 2 years old, the Greenlee is used all the time, the Ideal rarely. Do you use a local guy for calibration, or send off? I can't remember the last time I had to do this. I usually don't have testers this long.

walkerj

So not only did he hand dig the trench, but you made him walk up ten flights of stairs to the hot roof with a tester that doesn't work.
No wonder that white shirt stays so clean.:D

I have had bad luck with both greenlee and ideal testers lying to me.

Speedskater

Occupation
retired broadcast, audio and industrial R&D engineering
Have you compared then at other locations. If the wave-form has lots of harmonics the different frequency response of the meters will affect the readings.

zog

How? Where? I've never had a meter calibrated. Inquiring minds want to know! :)

Well it is required for testing companies that follow NETA standards.

From NETA "All tests will be performed objectively according to NETA specifications, using calibrated instruments traceable to the National Institute of Science and Technology (NIST). "

Our requirements to calibrations are even tougher, but that is because we do safety related nuclear work and need to comply with 10 CFR 50 Appendix B.

I have worked at several companies, some NETA, some not, and have always had every peice of test equipment calibrated at least every year, how do you know it is accurate if you dont? There are many companies that do on site calibration of all your test equipment, or you can send it in.

Cavie

Break out the old stand by analog amprobe!

Electrican's residental tool box = klines, screwdriver, amprobe and a wiggy

Commercial = "where's the truck?"

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
Our Bio Tek meters go to the manufacturer for calibration, others may go to a local shop.

Roger

Speedskater

Occupation
retired broadcast, audio and industrial R&D engineering
At one job I had lots of meters calibrated. It was a motor testing laboratory and everything got calibrated all the time. Had spare sets of rack mounted meters so the cal. company would drop-off one group and take another. But my feeling is, unless the meter is used for legal documentation, don't bother. Solid-state multi-meters don't go out of calibration unless they are abused. Now, meters that have transducers are another story, units that measure light, heat, sound, weight or vibration do drift.

Status
Not open for further replies.